Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
JBmaple, there are no pre 64’s at a decent price. Wish there was but those days are long gone. I have a 38-55 Legendary Frontiersman I really like. Gave 700 for it about 7 years ago. Like new. Gun show find.

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
216 Posts
...I do like the looks of some commemoratives. There’s a Colt Frontier Scout I’ve been watching locally. It’s a nice looking gun except it’s a centennial. Might pull the trigger on it anyway.
Colt made a lot of these as well. I had a few that I sold (personal preference) for a S&W .357 Magnum (a pre-27):

Air gun Gun barrel Trigger Material property Gun accessory

I buy for hobby and nothing more.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
The market doesn't like the Commemoratives (all of them not just Winchester). I agreed at one time.

I changed my mind when I saw the lower prices and better workmanship. I am not buying for an investment, but I buy because it is a fun hobby.

I bought a pair of unfired S&W Model 19 P&R revolvers since I liked them. And they sold for less than a regular Model 19: (.357 Magnum 4"). The Bowie knife was free. [all fired now]

View attachment 858890

Here is a good unfired Winchester Model 94 Canadian Centennial 30/30 made in 1967.

View attachment 858891

View attachment 858892

Check the engraving and the edges of the wood. It had a bunch of dust and lint in the barrel. [No longer unfired]

I picked up a Canadian 24" version severals years agooff of GB that was not un-fired in the box. Great 30-30 NRA Silhouetee with a Lyman globe and Williams rear upgrade. The extra barrel length helps the aging eye!

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
216 Posts
Mr. Pappy, I sure agree.

I count ~100 Winchester Commemoratives on the winchesterowners.org site. None are pre-1964 while the 1964 Wyoming Diamond Jubilee is one that I have been looking for many years. I can't find one nor have I ever seen one (1500 made at $99.95).

It's just a fun hobby for me (I have Marlins as well). Here is an older picture::

Wood Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun accessory

I agree that I am a nut for the lever action guns. I also like the early S&W revolvers. It's a dude's passion to get back to the old days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
On a different note. Is there anything wrong with getting a post 64 Winchester? I know this is probably a very opinionated question. Just seems in my area any pre 64’s are going for way more than I’d like to pay. Especially in the last year and a half.
Pre and post 64 don’t mean much on the lever guns. People make more of it than is there. Only really mattered for the model 70.

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
216 Posts
...Pre and post 64 don’t mean much on the lever guns. People make more of it than is there. Only really mattered for the model 70..
The Winchester Model 70 is a bolt action rifle that was introduced in 1936. Some of these rifles were used in WW2 that were sniper guns which killed Germans and the Japanese that wanted us dead (we won).

The bolt action was not so good in civilian use, and it's why the older lever-action is still a good gun. The old western style says it is is easier to lever action over bolt the action.

Ammunition Bullet Material property Gun accessory Cone

Trigger Air gun Shotgun Wood Gun barrel

21 - 27 of 27 Posts