Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a Winchester Buffalo Bill Commemorative at local gun store. They are asking $785. It’s unfired and comes with original box. I see prices all over the place on internet for these. I’m wondering if it’s a good price?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JB.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I recently found a Winchester Buffalo Bill Commemorative at local gun store. They are asking $785. It’s unfired and comes with original box. I see prices all over the place on internet for these. I’m wondering if it’s a good price?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks JB.
Generally, the commemorative Winchesters are worth 15% less than a Model 94 in the same condition, unless you find someone who collects the series.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Beause of the discount,
Generally, the commemorative Winchesters are worth 15% less than a Model 94 in the same condition, unless you find someone who collects the series.
The Winchester Commemoratives are popular in Lever Action Silhouette due to their 24" barrel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here I thought they’d be worth slightly more since they have the octagon barrel and nicer wood. Thanks for the replies. JB.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I would not pay that for a post 64 Commemorative Winchester. If it has a 24 inch barrel it good for a shooter.
There are some commemorative's made in minimal numbers that bring more money.
I would pay more for a none commemorative model 94 myself !

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s why I asked, learned something new today. I was unsure of value being it had nicer features but it was also post 64. I was never really interested in commemoratives, centennials, or century models. But, I don’t have any winchesters and since it looked kind of nice I was throwing around the idea of picking it up. I guess the saying just because it’s fancy and old doesn’t mean it’s worth more holds true. Thanks again. JB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a different note. Is there anything wrong with getting a post 64 Winchester? I know this is probably a very opinionated question. Just seems in my area any pre 64’s are going for way more than I’d like to pay. Especially in the last year and a half.

·
Registered
521 Posts
More Buffalo Bill’s were made than any other commemorative. I bought both models in 1969 NIB from a good friend of mine who was a salesman for a large wholesaler for 240 dollars. Had to sell them when I got married to buy furniture. Noe I don’t have the rifles or the wife.

• Sad
Reactions: 3691

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interesting as I have a Winchester Buffalo Bill Codey Commemorative hex barrel L/A in 30/30 that hasn't seen much action probably had a box of factory ammo through it and it's been sitting in my safe for probably 40 years.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
More Buffalo Bill’s were made than any other commemorative. I bought both models in 1969 NIB from a good friend of mine who was a salesman for a large wholesaler for 240 dollars. Had to sell them when I got married to buy furniture. Noe I don’t have the rifles or the wife.
Hope you got rid of the furniture to!😂

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I think in 1981 Winchester went back to making 4144 forged steel receivers instead of the sintered casting they were using since 1964. It was the big bore model with beef up receivers to take the pressure of the big bore calibers! Just look for the AE angle eject models. They were all steel with good quality model 94.

·
Registered
26,063 Posts
I have shooters. the rifle your looking at are gonna shoot it or just put it in a safe. if your gonna shoot it and you can get it for a good price why not. I have a number of winnie 94s from circa 1925 to 1991. sintered steel receivers are just as strong as forged. ( winchester did test em) some of my smoothest 94s are from the 70s! its just the finish that wears awful. if you get it one thing to replace is the pressed metal carrier with a solid one. Winchester returned to forged starting with serial number starting 5, 103.248

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ve never bought a gun yet to just set in a safe. Some sit for a while but they all get out eventually. I just personally like octagon barrels and straight grip rifles. That’s what I was drawn too. Although with the 26” barrel it’s longer than I prefer for a rifle. I currently only have Marlins but lately been wanting a Winchester….

·
Registered
26,063 Posts
I’ve never bought a gun yet to just set in a safe. Some sit for a while but they all get out eventually. I just personally like octagon barrels and straight grip rifles. That’s what I was drawn too. Although with the 26” barrel it’s longer than I prefer for a rifle. I currently only have Marlins but lately been wanting a Winchester….
I fully understand. im a winnie man,I do own Marlins , Savage. my favorite Marlin is a 336 Texan 35 cal. straight grip on the Texans. . have you ever seen the 94 classic rifle 20 inch octagon barrel. its next on my list.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Marlin 336 Texan in 35 rem is on my list to go with my Texan 30-30. I had to look up the 94 Classic octagon. That is a sharp looking rifle with the 20” barrel.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
If it has the 24" barrel, it makes a good NRA lever silhouette rifle. Time to break that one in! Expect it to need some trigger work if you are going to shoot it much.

That is about the going price the last time I looked. You can go to Gun Broker and sign in to get access to the "Advanced" options. Look in completed auctions for the model to see what they are going for recently,

Reactions: Jbmaple

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
217 Posts
Here is one that I traded to get a year ago (box + unfired, until I got it).

Wood Line Grass Rectangle Wood stain

Musical instrument Wood Grass Plant Wood stain

I had $550 in my private non-dealer trade (a Henry Big Boy .357 Magnum). I would have gone higher as I jump all over older unfired guns which are brand new. I don't understand buying a new gun and keeping it unfired for 53 years??

I also have four pre-1964 Winchester rifles (they have many more forged steel parts). One was never fired or fired only a few times. It's hard to be sure, but it doesn't have a scratch on it after 70 years.

Air gun Wood Trigger Plant Shotgun

·
Premium Member
S&W, Colt, Winchester
217 Posts
Here I thought they’d be worth slightly more since they have the octagon barrel and nicer wood...
The market doesn't like the Commemoratives (all of them not just Winchester). I agreed at one time.

I changed my mind when I saw the lower prices and better workmanship. I am not buying for an investment, but I buy because it is a fun hobby.

I bought a pair of unfired S&W Model 19 P&R revolvers since I liked them. And they sold for less than a regular Model 19: (.357 Magnum 4"). The Bowie knife was free. [all fired now]

Revolver Air gun Blue Trigger Shotgun

Here is a good unfired Winchester Model 94 Canadian Centennial 30/30 made in 1967.

Air gun Trigger Line Font Wood

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Font Revolver

Check the engraving and the edges of the wood. It had a bunch of dust and lint in the barrel. [No longer unfired]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The market doesn't like the Commemoratives (all of them not just Winchester). I agreed at one time.

I changed my mind when I saw the lower prices and better workmanship. I am not buying for an investment, but I buy because it is a fun hobby.

I bought a pair of unfired S&W Model 19 P&R revolvers since I liked them. And they sold for less than a regular Model 19: (.357 Magnum 4"). The Bowie knife was free. [all fired now]

View attachment 858890

Here is a good unfired Winchester Model 94 Canadian Centennial 30/30 made in 1967.

View attachment 858891

View attachment 858892

Check the engraving and the edges of the wood. It had a bunch of dust and lint in the barrel. [No longer unfired]
Nice looking Smiths and Winchesters. The maple leaf engraving looks nice and maples are my favorite tree. I’ll have to keep my out for a pre-64. Maybe I’ll find one for a decent price in the near future.

I do like the looks of some commemoratives. There’s a Colt Frontier Scout I’ve been watching locally. It’s a nice looking gun except it’s a centennial. Might pull the trigger on it anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts