Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a range day last weekend I wanted to share with you some results and find out if anyone has observed this. I know marlin 30-30's are very accurate, but when using the winchester power-point 150 grain softpoints I was gettin bullet holes touching at 100 yards. This is with a scope of course. Has anyone else seen this with factory ammo? In particular the factory winchester pp 150 grain sp loads? I was getting sub 2" groups with the remington cl's 170gr, which is more what I expected.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Of all the 336s I have owned -- and I have owned many through the years -- I have never had one that would not shoot sub-2" 100 yard groups with any Winchester, Federal or Remington 150 or 170 gr. load -- and many would do better than that. The first 336 I owned consistently shot 3-shot groups well under an inch, with scope and benchrest, with Federal 170s.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Of all the ammo I have shot other than reloads Hornady LE in my guns is as accurate as it gets. Shot a 4 shot group of .788 with a .32 win special 165gr LE at 100yds, would have shot the 5th one but didn't have anymore LE ammo with me. The rifle was a 1949 336 RC and it is an oldie but goodie.

On 9/3/2010 shot a .878 5 shot group 45-70 LE at 100yds with a Ruger No.1, all my guns love the LE and so do I. So now when I go hunting I either take my reloads or Hornady's LE.

Oh I have the targets hanging in my gunroom signed by my shooting buddy so I have evidence of the shoot.

"fk"

·
Registered
32 Posts
SoftPoint said:
After a range day last weekend I wanted to share with you some results and find out if anyone has observed this. I know marlin 30-30's are very accurate, but when using the winchester power-point 150 grain softpoints I was gettin bullet holes touching at 100 yards. This is with a scope of course. Has anyone else seen this with factory ammo? In particular the factory winchester pp 150 grain sp loads? I was getting sub 2" groups with the remington cl's 170gr, which is more what I expected.
I shoot the Winchester 150 Grn. Powerpoints in my 1950 336sc. It will shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. 2 inch groups with 170 Grn. Remington or Winchester 170 Grn. PP.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
That's kinda the same thing that I have determined about my Winnie 94. It shoots decent with Rem's and Fed's but it really likes the Winchester 150's. So that's all I buy for it now a days.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I cut holes with 130 gn. power points and silver tips in my xl7 270. My ruger m77 in 308 also cuts holes with 150 gn. power points.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I suspect everyone has a different ideal factory ammo for thier 336s because of the individual personalities of their rifles. Like yours, my 1951 336sc will shoot sub 1" at 100 yards with Win 150 gr factory ammo. Winchester sells that bullet as a reloading component, and after tweaking loads, it is down to 5/8" when mated to IMR 3031. That same handload shoots 1.25" in my Glenfield 30, so both my primary 30-30 and its backup do great with the same load, which certainly helps with logistics.

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Who says "lever actions can't shoot accurately" they don't know what they are talking about.

'fk"

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
[quote="fk" ]
Who says "lever actions can't shoot accurately" they don't know what they are talking about.

'fk"
[/quote]

It's all in the degree of accuracy. A benchrest shooter would find them wildly inaccurate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.