Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me anything about the 9422? I've been looking at lever-action .22 on various auction sites, and I saw several 9422s for what I thought was a good price (at least compared to Marlin 39As).

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I've had mine since I was 10 or 12 years old. It goes bang every time. Looks like a 40 year old rifle that has been carried about everywhere at some point. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Pretty accurate, for what it is -- has accounted for countless prairie dogs, rabbits, a few tree rats, a stray cat or two... ::) It will likely go to the first grandkid that spends any time with G'Pa, shows an interest in learning, and a keen appreciation for what will be a family heirloom.

I have no idea what they are going for these days, but the last time I saw a used one for sale, it was put through the wringer (not nearly as well kept as mine) and was in rough shape. They wanted $699 for it, and those guys are pretty shrewd when it comes to knowing the values of their merchandise.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I bought a 9422M in 1976, first firearm I bought with my own $$$; I wouldn't part with it for $1000. Killed a few groundhogs with it, fun rifle.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I have the model with the laminated stock in .22LR. Bought it used for around $250.00. Shoots great and works fine. The innards seem much more complex that the Marlin 39 derivatives or the Henry.
Of my four .22 leverguns the 1897 Texan is the prettiest and the most accurate, followed by the Winchester 9422, and very closely after (actually a tie) my 39Mountie of 1956-57 vintage. The Winchester wins the tie because of the one in 100 FTF on the Mountie. It IS 55 years old! The Henry I just bought used is the second prettiest, but I don't know about the accuracy as of yet, as I only function fired it before buying, and haven't been back to the range yet. Next saturday we'll see.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I bought one in the early 90's and I would not part with it either. I would love to find a good used 9422M but they are expensive in my area when you find one. If you can get one for a reasonable price, I would not hesitate buying it.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Took the Henry, together with the Rossi and the 1897 TEXAN to the range Saturday with my daughter. The Henry was the least accurate of the bunch, with the 1897 TEXAN the most accurate. But had two or three FTE before giving up on the Marlin. I already ordered the Wwisner's extractor. It shoots so well, now if I can only get it to eject!

Had a great time with my daughter.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
962 Posts

Also the first firearm I purchased new. Mine is 22 mag and that was the round they were designed to use. If you can get one for less than a model 39a i would get it.

·
Premium Member
5,090 Posts
JMarriott, beautiful rifle. Scope looks a little out of place on it for some reason, what scope are you using there? I like the picture, the unattached sling and a loose 20ga shell laying there gives it that "What the L" is oging on there look ;D ;D .DT

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
962 Posts
My daughter was shooting the 9422 and I had the scope set back a bit so she could see with her short arms. The angle of the picture makes it look even weirder.

The scope is a redfield gold five star 1-4 X20. The eye relief was a fairly narrow band so I shoved it back a bit for her.

Here is how my daughter can shoot at 40 paces. Five shot groups.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I bought (actually traded out of a 8 3/8" full-lugged Smith 617... :p ) a 9422 Deluxe in honor of my nephew's birth. I had to try it out first, to make sure it worked, of course ;D Really, a fun little rifle. He has been shooting it with his dad quite a bit lately, and we are fixing to move up to the AR and try some high power shooting.

I've always lusted for a Marlin lever .22, but I'm very fond of the Winchester...!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Have owned one for years, wouldn't trade it for anything. Must of killed a truck load of squirrels with it, also it was my constant companion when I lived in Montana. Wouldn't mind owning a 39 someday but I'll never get rid of my 9422 xtr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts