Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my first Winchester this afternoon. I already love this gun and I haven't had a chance to shoot it. The action is a smooth as silk. It has a few minor handling marks, but overall in Excellent condition (pics have smudges on the receiver).

Jerry Nanson February 11, 2020 IMG_4810.jpg Jerry Nanson February 11, 2020 IMG_4812.jpg

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Sweet rifle. Congrats.

Reactions: jertex

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
imagesJQBZ4WO0.jpg

That's a beauty, looks like its in great shape, I like the pistol grip stock on the 94

·
Super Moderator
26,214 Posts
Congrats Jertex, that Winnie is easy to love.

Jack

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
That's a real beauty! I bought a Win 9422 (S,L,LR) back in 1972 when they first came into production. Still looks as new today as it did when I bought it.

Enjoy your rifle!!

·
Registered
19,669 Posts
Congrats!:tee:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any suggestions for peep sights, optics, etc? It doesn't appear to be drilled & tapped so it's not clear to me how folks are attaching those to their 9422's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd like to add one of those to my family. I have a 9422 & really like it. Congrats on your addition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any suggestions for peep sights, optics, etc? It doesn't appear to be drilled & tapped so it's not clear to me how folks are attaching those to their 9422's.
I know I'm late to the game but thought I'd add a comment. Congrats on the 9422 XTR Classic! IMHO, that are the nicest of the 9422's! I have two classics, one in lr and other in mag. I also have two traditional straight stocked in each caliber. The problem you'll find with optics on these rifles is the short dove tail for mounting making it difficult to get eye relief. That, and the receiver itself is petite and doesn't look right with a big ol'e honking scope. Think compact. I've included a couple of photos of mine with their optics. I still have one more 9422 to scope. I like the looks of the three I have set up which include a Leupold M8-4x Compact, a Leupold VariX 2-7 Compact and a "Baby" Redfield 4x 3/4" tube. I like the looks and quality of all three. The Leupold compact scopes are going crazy high on e-bay and even the "Baby" Redfields are $150+ range. I wish Leupold offered their FX line in a gloss scope as matte just doesn't do the XTR justice. xtr2 - Copy.jpg xtr1.jpg xtr4.jpg

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nice rifle! I have a 9422 and it is one of my favorite squirrel guns. Wish I had a 9422M but around here they are very pricey - anywhere from $800 to a ways north of a Grand for minty examples! Enjoy!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know I'm late to the game but thought I'd add a comment. Congrats on the 9422 XTR Classic! IMHO, that are the nicest of the 9422's! I have two classics, one in lr and other in mag. I also have two traditional straight stocked in each caliber. The problem you'll find with optics on these rifles is the short dove tail for mounting making it difficult to get eye relief. That, and the receiver itself is petite and doesn't look right with a big ol'e honking scope. Think compact. I've included a couple of photos of mine with their optics. I still have one more 9422 to scope. I like the looks of the three I have set up which include a Leupold M8-4x Compact, a Leupold VariX 2-7 Compact and a "Baby" Redfield 4x 3/4" tube. I like the looks and quality of all three. The Leupold compact scopes are going crazy high on e-bay and even the "Baby" Redfields are $150+ range. I wish Leupold offered their FX line in a gloss scope as matte just doesn't do the XTR justice.
I was thinking of using a Vortex 2-7X32. It's a matte black scope, but I'm OK with that. If I decide to just stay with the scopes I have on hand, I have an '80's Tasco 3-9X32 in gloss black that's a pretty decent scope and I have a couple of 4X Bushnell's, one when they were made in Japan and the other made in the '70's in S. Korea. They are also both gloss black and would look good on that small receiver. I'm still mulling it over.

Nice rifle! I have a 9422 and it is one of my favorite squirrel guns. Wish I had a 9422M but around here they are very pricey - anywhere from $800 to a ways north of a Grand for minty examples! Enjoy!
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to get it out to the range yet because of disc replacement surgery, then it started raining and every time I seem to get a chance, the weather is bad. I wasn't in the market for a Winchester but this one came up on Texas Gun Trader and the price was irresistible, then I asked the seller to knock off extra since I was going to buy a Marlin 336CB from him and he agreed. I felt it was just meant to be: it was my destiny! :biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts