Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Winchester 9422 Stock satin finish question.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Cowboy23* 
#1 ·
I purchased a 9422 about a year ago and the wood had a lot of dings and nicks so I found a new factory stock set and installed it. The wood is beautiful but it's the satin finish and it seems like it needs a clear coat or some additional finish to protect it. Does anybody have any experience with the satin finish stocks on 9422s and how they hold up or suggestions for adding additional protection? See pics below.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sure is some pretty wood...

Reactions: bc069 and jertex
#4 ·
It just occurred to me that I have some Trewax paste wax that works extremely well at protecting wood finishes, I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Below are a couple of "before" pics of the rifle with the original wood. It was banged up with some pretty big gouges that are on the top of the buttstock and bottom of the forend. I like everything about the new stocks better than the old ones.

#5 ·
Wood in those stocks, that flat finish is a sin. It detracts from the stock in my opinion. Not familiar with Trewax, but any cheap furniture polish that builds waxy finish, hand rubbed to work the oils out and the wax in, then buff with soft cloth. If that doesn't get it shiny enough to suit you, break out the silicone gun wipes and run over the wax finish.

#11 ·
Nice set of wood ! I have a gloss 9422 ----I'll post a pic so you can see the difference . your wood has some great figure to it.

Reactions: jertex
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.