Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Winchester 94 question: replacing cartridge guide screw (fixed)

2K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  10Glocks 
#1 ·
I have a Miroku-made Winchester 94 short rifle. It has a buggered up left-side cartridge guide screw as seen in the picture. Believe it or not, I didn't do that, it came from Winchester like that, which is unusual as Miroku is generally pretty meticulous. But it's really starting to bug me as the gun gets some honest wear. I can't stand a buggered screw on a gun. So I ordered a couple of replacements. So here's my question:

The screw holds the left side cartridge guide inside the receiver. Do I need to break down the action to replace this screw? Or can I just leave it assembled with the action closed and replace the screw? It seems the bolt and other internals would keep the guide in place allowing for a quick screw change. But I don't want to be wrong and have the guide fall off inside the receiver and jam the gun making it harder to disassemble. Youtube videos on breaking down the 94 never go as far as taking the cartridge guides out so they aren't much help.

I've broken down my 336s completely. But the 94 is more complex and I've never torn it down. So I'm a little apprehensive.

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
I've heard that Miroku charges buku bucks for their model 94's so getting one like that from the factory would warrant an immediate return to the manufacturer to make good on it. Shameful that they would rip a screw head like that.

#4 ·
Yes, they certainly aren't cheap. But I've had it for awhile and decided to not pursue it. I don't know why, but it's bothering more now. I guess it's because I just took photos of the gun and it really stands out in the photos. When you're holding it, it's harder to see.

#5 ·
It also implies that the owner of a gun with ripped screw heads is lazy & ignorant of the proper types of screwdriver tips to be used even if you didn't do it yourself.

I did such things to firearm screws in my youth, before I knew better, & now have to live with the disfigured results. The "results" being adjacent receiver scratches when the screwdriver slipped.

#6 ·
Right. And like I said, I just recently took these photos and the screw head really stands out in the photos. But is a really small screw and it's not so apparent when you're just looking at it. If I sent it back now, the immediate presumption would be that I did it. And the screws are cheap and readily available so I'll just do it myself. I have a Brownells Magna Tip set so I'm good on having the right tool.

But Miroku, as good as they are, ain't perfect. I have a Browning SA-22 and the rear sight just flopped up and down. Instead of sending it back, I got a replacement from MGW and fitted it myself and it's good as new (well, better).

I hate a buggered screw. When I was in my teens or early 20s I buggered a receiver screw on an Ithaca Model 37 and it bugged me for years until I took it to a gunsmith to have it replaced.

#8 ·
The screws came in the mail today. You can see how tiny they are. Got two in case I drop one and it rolls to the farthest reaches of the earth, or if I bugger one up myself. I'm not sure about that red locktite on a screw that small. May be hard to put in.

#9 ·
Ive replaced em before. you can replace the screw by opening the action. this is tricky. loosen the screw a little. hold the guide in place with your pinky. remove the screw make sure that little bugger does not move . replace the new screw turn it a few threads, at this point you should be ok tighten the screw. I agree with you, buggered up screws just stick out like a sore thumb!

#12 ·
I would leave it be.

If it does slip when installing, you will have to break it down to replace one buggered screw. It took me 4 hours the last time while watching a YouTube video. The Winchester is complicated (Henry is the easiest). JMO.

#15 · (Edited)
I would also leave it alone if the rifle works well. I have a Win. 94AE. 356Win. that stayed in the safe for a few years. When I decided to use it hunting for the coming season I took it to the range for sighting in and some target practice it was misfiring. Back at home I surfed the internet for info. how to disassembly and reassemble. I found step by step written/pictures instruction. I was able to cleanout the manufacturer's grease that had dried up and solidified enough to slow down the firing pin so it just made a dimple mark on the primer. after cleaning all parts now out and reassembling the action it was good to go. PS. the only problem I had was I wasn't prepared for when disassembling the action the hammer spring sprung out and out an opened window way across the room and into the grass. I was lucky I found the spring.

Oh if you should decide to leave well enough alone put those screws in a see thru bag with an ID note in your gunsafe.

Reactions: 10Glocks
#16 ·
I'm going to replace it. Now that's I've seen the picture of just how buggered it is, I can't stand it.

But I know what you mean. Every time of disassemble something, I drop a small part and have to get on my hands and knees to look for it. I had a spring and a detent pin fall out of a Browning SA22 barrel assembly that I never did find and ordered 6 of each to keep as replacements. No doubt I'll drop something out of my 94 when I fix it here in Virginia and the part will roll under the far side of truck in Texas. That's the way things work for me.

#17 ·
I'm going to replace it. Now that's I've seen the picture of just how buggered it is, I can't stand it.

But I know what you mean. Every time of disassemble something, I drop a small part and have to get on my hands and knees to look for it. I had a spring and a detent pin fall out of a Browning SA22 barrel assembly that I never did find and ordered 6 of each to keep as replacements. No doubt I'll drop something out of my 94 when I fix it here in Virginia and the part will roll under the far side of truck in Texas. That's the way things work for me.
Good Luck on getting this hair out of your bottom. Don't forget to take step by step pictures on how your did it. I 'm interested and sure othersare too.

#21 ·
As long as I can mount a scope where its supposed to be I just might buy one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.