Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my recently purchased Winchester 94 in .44 Rem Mag to the range and tried her out with open (iron) sites. Shot terrible! At 10 yards she was fatal but at 20 and 40 couldn't even get shot placement on a 9" pie plate. Me and my buddy both had the same results. Looks as if she's shooting high but the rear sight elevation is maxed out and she's still high (at least 6 inches). I was shooting down a gradual slope (about 1' drop per 15 yards).

Unfortunately I only had one kind of cartridge to shoot from her--a fully jacketed hollow point, so I couldn't determine if anything other than the cartridge. But still, at 20 yds I'd think just about anything from a .44 mag could be placed on paper and not have so much rise.

Anyone have suggestions as to what it could be? This is my first Model 94 and I bought her slightly used from supposedly the original owner who only shot about 30 rounds from her (hunting and target). I can't help to wonder if this is why she sold her--maybe those 30 rounds were at one deer cause she's such a crooked shot! :?

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's too bad S&W, I have heard of poor accuracy with the M-94's in .44 Mag before. Try some different ammo, if it cannot be straightened out trade it towards an H&R Handi Rifle!! Now those guns can shoot!!! If you really want to stay with a lever gun go for a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington or a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70!!!....<><.... :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well, first off, it might seem like the PC thing to take a whack at the gun based on its lineage, but I won't. I happen too own several variations of the M94 myself. Besides, the evidence you give doesn't suggest inaccuracy so much as misplacement which means a need to correct the sighting - no different than any other gun regardless of make. I would try things in order from least work/expense to greatest. If the bullets land on target in an acceptable group and that bullet is adequate for what you will use it, stick with it. Otherwise, try:

1. a different type, weight, and/or loading of ammo

if you like tha ammo, try:

2. raise the rear elevator even if you have to do it artificially until it hits close to where you want it.

3. When you are satisfied that the gun is capable you can either:

4. file the front sight down

- or -

4b. buy a taller rear sight or a rear sight capable of more elevation. A receiver mounted rear sight is also an option.

I have a similar Trapper M94 in 45 Colt which I load with 300 grain bullets as a bear gun for my wife. It has also been a good rabbit rifle on a number of occasions. I just don't expect it to make head shots at 120 yards or anything like that. Certainly, it would be effective on deer out to 100 yards or so, though.

A lot of people seem to rate the lever guns based on the ability of the gun to provide MOA, or better, accuracy. The logic of that is really lost on me since the actual purpose most of the calibers they are chambered in is to provide killing power at ranges of 100-200 yards or less. I like Marlins too but the Winchesters do feel better to me in terms of balance and handling. And they work. Sight your gun in before you give up on it!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
S&W said:
Took my recently purchased Winchester 94 in .44 Rem Mag to the range and tried her out with open (iron) sites. Shot terrible! At 10 yards she was fatal but at 20 and 40 couldn't even get shot placement on a 9" pie plate. Me and my buddy both had the same results. Looks as if she's shooting high but the rear sight elevation is maxed out and she's still high (at least 6 inches). I was shooting down a gradual slope (about 1' drop per 15 yards).

Anyone have suggestions as to what it could be? This is my first Model 94 and I bought her slightly used from supposedly the original owner who only shot about 30 rounds from her (hunting and target). I can't help to wonder if this is why she sold her--maybe those 30 rounds were at one deer cause she's such a crooked shot! :?
Actually, in looking over your original post again, it is obvious your problem. If your gun is shooting high, lower the rear sight.

You move the rear sight the direction you want to move the bullet on target; the front is just the opposite. Other than that, my previous suggestions should apply.

·
Registered
316 Posts
MSP Ret said:
That's too bad S&W, I have heard of poor accuracy with the M-94's in .44 Mag before. Try some different ammo, if it cannot be straightened out trade it towards an H&R Handi Rifle!! Now those guns can shoot!!! If you really want to stay with a lever gun go for a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington or a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70!!!....<><.... :D
Andy's givin some good advice here... I got lucky when I walked into a shop looking for a Marlin 45-70, not one to be had but new around town. I found a 336CS in .35 Remington, and it left with me :lol:

Don't know if it will get anything this year as it is my back up rifle to my 45-90. But if I get anything with it, I will report.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks Montanan and good luck, I hope you get one with the 45-90 and then get another with the 336CS in .35 Remington!!!....<><.... :D

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Does it group? if so its just a sight problem. If it patterns like a shotgun THATS a problem with the gun- maybe a simple cleaning problem maybe something more serious-or the ammo which is what you should check first ,try a bunch of kinds or it may just be the type you have.This is not a bad thing ,it is an excuse to shoot a gun so wher's the bad??!!Shoortj2003

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Check to see if barrel bands are too tight or loose.. you can fine tune the hamonics using them.. I had my Marlin shooting 12 high 100 until I re did the bands and played with the tension some.. just snug them then go from there little at a time see if that makes difference..

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If the rifle groups OK but is grouped out of place, it is probablyu adjustment.
I guess almost everyone here can tell you that the bullet "follows" the rear sight.

Raise, lower, left..right..whatever you do with that rear sight ..the bullet strike does the same.

If I am just repeating something you already know...sorry..

If the group is bad...I would give the barrel crown a second look..just a tiny nick can throw your shots all over the map..

·
Registered
584 Posts
Is the front sight loose. I had a similar problem with my Marlin. Couldn't hit a barn door at a 100. Found the front sight loose so I tapped it out. Flipped it over and peened it till I got a good tight fit. Shoots just fine out to a hundred now.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
You either have sight problems or bullet Dia problem for it to be that far off. I would check sights first, then put scope on it temp to
check different loads. Bullet dia. Has more effect on this than load. All the 94s I have messed with shot factory Win ammo well. I
did have a 94 in 30/30 that had a crack in frame at barrel threads. It caused some wild groups until we found crack. That was several
years ago and Win replaced the rifle.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Hey guys.....do you realize the OP occurred 10-11-2005?

Just pointing that out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
No problems with my 94 in .44 mag. I did add a Williams peep site though. My eyes just aren't what they used to be for the factory open rear site. Mine is sited in for 50 yds. If I expect to shoot at longer range, I get a different rifle.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Your rear sight is all the way up.

Your rifle is shooting way high.

When using iron sights, move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. I.e. down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts