Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Winchester '73"

Just thought I'd let y'all know that Winchester '73 is on at 8:00 EST tonight on AMC.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
"Winchester '73"

I love that movie but it agrevates me when it comes to the seen where HiSpade say's "We have two Winchester's" and the one dude say's I have a Henry. Take a good look, that ain't no Henry, maybe a 66 or a 92, it has a forend.

I watched it and liked it as well as I did the first time, thanks for the notice, Ringo.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Winchester '73"

I know! that's always caught my attention too.
In fact...I can remember us discussing this same point a couple years back on the old Marlin forum.

But what irks me even worse is...if it's a Henry, why is he shootin' .44 WCF out of it?
Or did the sheriff (Wyatt Earp, played by Will "Grandpa Walton" Geer) have .44 Rimfire cartridges on hand?

Yeah, now that I think of it...they must have had all kinds of ammo on hand 'cause some guys were shooting model 66's and there is even an old geezer shootin' a Springfield "Trapdoor."

When Dutch asks for his ammo, he says "gimme some 44-40 Winchesters."
I wonder if they even called them 44-40's back in those days.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
"Winchester '73"

Darn, I missed it. Haven't seen it since I was a kid.

·
Registered
77 Posts
"Winchester '73"

Caught it for the first time last night. Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorites. He was "one of 1,000".

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
"Winchester '73"

Ringo:

I believe my information is correct. Both the Henry and Model 1866 were chambered for only the 44 Henry Rim Fire (44R.F.) cartridge developed by B. Tyler Henry in 1858. The bullet weighted 216 grains and had a powder charge of 26 grains of black powder.
The 1866 could be retrofited to the 44 center fire cartridge but this cartridge was known as the Henry center fire cartridge, same bullet weight and same powder charge. The advantage was it could be reloaded by anyone having the Winchester reloading tools.
The Winchester developed 44WCF or 44/40 was developed for the introduction of the Winchester Model 1873 of the same year. Winchester 1873's were only in 44 WCF, at the time of introduction, and were not barrel stamped until the introduction of the Winchester developed 38 WCF or 38/40 ( actually this is really a 40 caliber but Winchester felt it was to close to the 44 so they choose to designate it a 38.) in 1879.
My information indicates the cartridge was always called a 44/40 but Winchester choose to put, at different times of production, no caliber designation, 44 Cal. or 44 WCF on the barrels of the latter 1873's after the introduction of the 38/40 caliber.

Hope this is of some interest you, Love that movie.

Best Wishes,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts