Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Packed at 100 count of bullets per box, bulk packaged. $39.99 per box, if there is interest. I'm assuming these are appropriate for reloading .35 Remington.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
The 356 Win bullets on Midway, are actually 358 diameter, see below for earlier post on subject. Highly suspect these bullet are designed to perform at the extended ranges intended for the 356, and also suspect they would work well at normal 35Rem range and fps.

Looking at my 356 Win 200gr and 250 gr Power Points, both are sharply defined flat nose bullets. Looking at my 35 Remington Power Points, they are pretty much a round nose. So there is a difference. The flat nose has slight more aggressive jacket nose notching. Is there any other design or performance difference, I don't know. I suspect, they are labeled as .356 diameter, because they were originally intended for 356 Win loading. 35 Rem on right, 356 Win on left, different ogive as well. Both these bullets are 358 ind diameter, the cannalures are within.02 of each other.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
I do know this, they are very accurate in a 35. I bought 400 to try out. Their keepers.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ok guys I broke down and bought a box. This is kind of a first impression review so to speak. So here we go....Upon opening the box.. the first thing I saw was how wide the cannelure was. I mean holy cow... it's wide.. then I noticed that the cannelures are not all the same width. I'm not talking about measuring with a mic but by sight. The cannelure had been put on twice and sometimes over lapped. You can see this real good on Thumper358's pics. What do you guys make of this? Is this normal or are they blems? Ok..then I broke out the scales. They weighed at least 1-2 grains less than 200grs ...198-199grs. Will I ever see that differnce on paper ..probably not... I ain't that good of a shot.. but still you would think the precision would have been better on the cannelure and weight. Then I noticed that some were kind of tarnished.. Not real bad but like they had been stored up somewhere for a while. Hey ...they may shoot like a bolt gun and I will report on that later on... but as for now I am not impressed... I guess if ya pay $51.34 including shipping you would think the the cannelure would be perfect and they would look like they were brand new.. that shouldnt be to much to ask :hmmmm:... In my personal opinion 'they are blems".. I think Midway got them on a deal and are selling them as a perfect bullet.. which they are not.. I cant complain to much as I got them just out of curiosity.. mostly I was curious about the 356 dia. and being able to use them in my 35. I just wish they had marked them blems and I would have felt better about it.. If they are blems they should be cheaper. There is a review about them on midway that someone else had problems and had seen the cannelure as well.. That review was not there when I ordered mine.. Oh yeah.. I did measure them and they are all 358 dia. not 356 as they are marked which is a good thing. I'll let ya know how they shoot and how the bullets do on jugs or phone books later. If your looking for bullets for your 35 you might want to look at these .. just wanted to give ya a heads up and my empression....... :biggrin: CWT

Reactions: 358 Win

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Seems expensive for a bulk bullet.:hmmmm:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I reckon the cannelure is designed so the pill can be seated to COL in different cartridges in terms of COL.:hmmmm:

Mark.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I reckon the cannelure is designed so the pill can be seated to COL in different cartridges in terms of COL.:hmmmm:

Mark.
Mark.. I thought of that but the fact is .. it is differnt widths.. not by much but you can see it with the naked eye clearly. :hmmmm: I loaded some up.. we'll see how they shoot. Everyone else likes them so I suspect they will shoot good and that is where the rubber meets the road.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I don't know how the 200 grain power point .358 bullets you bought will shoot, but I did pull some .35 Remington 200 grain power point RN bullets from factory .35 Rem Winchester loads and loaded them up for my pump 7600 .35 Remington. I loaded them on top of my +P+ load @ 2400 fps using Alliant Reloder 12 powder and the group was bug eye small! There is something about Winchester Power Point bullets that makes them super accurate in whatever caliber I load for. The .30 caliber 150 power points make my Savage 99 in .300 Savage think it's a bolt gun. The Remington 722 in .300 Savage I have thinks it's a bench rest gun when using them. My .308's and 30-06's love them too. Any deer I ever hit with a power point only went three feet, straight down. I use all manner of bullets in my reloading and hunting, so I'm not saying that power points are the end all bullet, just they are as good as most and better than some..

358 Win

Reactions: CWT
1 - 10 of 10 Posts