Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very recently bought a new Winchester 86 short rifle in 45-70, I don’t have it in my possession yet because being in commiefornia I must wait ten days but when doing the paperwork on Friday the rifle was there and I noticed how dried out the wood looked. I’ve head some say it has an oil finish on those guns, I don’t thing it has any finish at all. Anyone out there buy one of these over the past few years? If it has a finish I’d love to know what it is. Other than the tang safety and rebounding hammer it’s a very nice gun.deep dark blueing and the wood was fitted well to the receiver , just curious about the finish. I might rub some blo into it once I have it..

·
Premium Member
10,911 Posts
Hey gunnut ....................wood/finish expertise is not my thing. That said, yes, my new 1886 and 1885 are a 'oil' type finish unlike my earlier high gloss Browning 1886 and 85. Whatever the exact finish is, you are going to love everything about it, unbelievable craftsmanship. ................when I get time, and or win the lotto, there are a few known craftsmen that can expertly remove the tang and rebound.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks , I have the browning also fortunately it came without the tang safety and rebounding hammer. The finish that came on the browning looked like an epoxy type of finish. I bought another aftermarket stock and finished and fit it myself. I’ll deal with the Winchester just curious about the wood on this one.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jmag, what kind of oil do you think they use, linseed, tung??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts