Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found these to shoot very well in my 336 Marlin however, I can not seem to find them available for reloading. I wanted to duplicate the Winchester Factory load which appears to be 33 gr. of 748. I can locate 150 gr Power Points but not 170 gr. Can anyone tell me where I might find 170 gr. Power Points as bulk bullets. I have looked at Midway, Midsouth, Cabelas, Widners, & Natchez with no luck. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave D.

·
Registered
463 Posts
azoil said:
I have found these to shoot very well in my 336 Marlin however, I can not seem to find them available for reloading. I wanted to duplicate the Winchester Factory load which appears to be 33 gr. of 748. I can locate 150 gr Power Points but not 170 gr. Can anyone tell me where I might find 170 gr. Power Points as bulk bullets. I have looked at Midway, Midsouth, Cabelas, Widners, & Natchez with no luck. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave D.

I'd like to find them, also! They shoot great in my 30-40 Krag, a great deer knock-down load @ 2400-2500 FPS!
I'll be watching this post! :shock:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Methinks Winchester is not selling those to the public. :( That's the long and short of it. I agree it's a good bullet and shoots very well, but as a reloading componenet? Forget it.
One you might want to take a look at is the 170 gr. Speer FN. They shoot good in my rifles and I think they have the highest BC of any of the 30 caliber flat nosed bullets.
We had a K-mart that had the sad misfortune to have a Walmart set up right across the street. Within six months, the K-mart shut down and put everything in the store up for liquidation. I bought out their entire supply of Winchester 175 gr. Power Point ammo for $4.00 a box. I can't reload them for that price. I also bought out all their Winchester brand Silvertip 180 gr. .308s for $5.00 a box, and all their 180 gr. Silvertip 30-06 ammo for $6.00 a box. It's a good thing I had my plastic with me that day. 8)
I remember when J.C. Penney decided to no longer carry sporting goods. My wife worked there and told me they were clearing all that stuff out at very reduced prices, plus I could get het 15 percent discount on top of that. I got a new Winchester M94 for $89.00, a Marlin 336 for $102.00 and a Remington 700 30-06 for $200. I still have the M94 and the Remington. The 336 felt just a bit too clubby to me, so I let a friend talk me out of it. I replaced it with a Marlin 336 with a straight stock, which I feel is the proper style for a lever action.
Paul B.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul,

I think you may be right about Winchester holding out on the public. That's kinda crazy though, if we can't get the WW 170 grainers we are just gonna try something else. I bought a case of the loaded ammo from Kmart about 6-8 years ago and still have some but wanted to roll my own due to the price increase. I too bought them on sale although not as cheap as you got them.

I am gonna go to the Gun Show weekend after this one and see what I can find.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Winchester has the notably dubious reputation for being "tight" with many of their components including most of the Silvertips one could get just a few years ago. Since these bulk components are a very good deal in terms of cost, it only makes sense to look to Remington. That's what I've done for my 170s in the 30-30. I actually think the 170 Remington may be about as good as it gets anyway for the 30-30. Unlike many of the Core-lokt bullets of contemporary manufacture, the old RN design still uses the heavy tapered jacket with scallops toward the nose. I've used it on moose and caribou and it opens readily but won't blow up on heavy bone- at least it seems to take any heavy it hits apart in the process in those cases where it might have come apart. (I will admit to having severed the spines of animals without being able to find the bullet.) It performs right alongside the Nosler 170.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Paul B said:
Methinks Winchester is not selling those to the public. :( That's the long and short of it. I agree it's a good bullet and shoots very well, but as a reloading componenet? Forget it.
One you might want to take a look at is the 170 gr. Speer FN. They shoot good in my rifles and I think they have the highest BC of any of the 30 caliber flat nosed bullets.
We had a K-mart that had the sad misfortune to have a Walmart set up right across the street. Within six months, the K-mart shut down and put everything in the store up for liquidation. I bought out their entire supply of Winchester 175 gr. Power Point ammo for $4.00 a box. I can't reload them for that price. I also bought out all their Winchester brand Silvertip 180 gr. .308s for $5.00 a box, and all their 180 gr. Silvertip 30-06 ammo for $6.00 a box. It's a good thing I had my plastic with me that day. 8)
I remember when J.C. Penney decided to no longer carry sporting goods. My wife worked there and told me they were clearing all that stuff out at very reduced prices, plus I could get het 15 percent discount on top of that. I got a new Winchester M94 for $89.00, a Marlin 336 for $102.00 and a Remington 700 30-06 for $200. I still have the M94 and the Remington. The 336 felt just a bit too clubby to me, so I let a friend talk me out of it. I replaced it with a Marlin 336 with a straight stock, which I feel is the proper style for a lever action.
Paul B.

Oh man, don't be tellin us them kind of stories!!! Makes me wanna cry! :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts