Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I see 94s being made in these short cartridges and wonder why they are not made on the 1892 action instead. The 92 is much smoother with a single stroke to the lever instead of the two stage stroke of the 94. It was originally designed for the .25-20, .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40 cartridges. The one I had was much handier than my 94s with a smoother, shorter and quicker action. Also, the .38-40 is overlooked. It is actually a 40 caliber and performs every bit as well as the .44-40 on deer sized game in my opinion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I see 94s being made in these short cartridges and wonder why they are not made on the 1892 action instead. The 92 is much smoother with a single stroke to the lever instead of the two stage stroke of the 94. It was originally designed for the .25-20, .32-20, .38-40, and .44-40 cartridges. The one I had was much handier than my 94s with a smoother, shorter and quicker action. Also, the .38-40 is overlooked. It is actually a 40 caliber and performs every bit as well as the .44-40 on deer sized game in my opinion.
This was a Canadian commemorative released in 1976 when the only lever action that Winchester was producing was the 94 action---the model 92's having been discontinued for almost 40 years at that point. Odd that the Little Big Horn commemorative was a Canadian release, but then I guess this was because the Bicentennial commemorative was the big deal in the US that year.

The only reason that the 92's are back in production now with Winchester stamped on them is that since the patents had run out, Browning/FN Herstal geared up to produce the 92 under the Browning name back in the late 80's/early 90's. This was done at the Miroku plant in Japan. Consequently when the Herstal group acquired the rights to Winchester in the late 1990's as USRA began to go belly up, they could resume production of the 92 using the Winchester logo instead. They did the same with the 1886 and 1895--all John M. Browning designs to start with.

Lot's of strange irony to all of this.

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had mine repaired after a year trying to find a great gunsmith to machine the bolt and create a ejector holder on the bolt and a couple of screws great job. Have to be my favourite in the family. Beautiful gun!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
The model B-92 Browning is one fine rifle. I had a 44 mag with the 1/20" twist. What a sweet one she was. Can't believe I had to let that one go. New baby and no money.

Reactions: TheOne1910

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Ironic that a commemorative rifle that didn't exist for another 20 years at that time. Still a beaut of a rifle that makes no sense. Make sure you shoot it!!.

Reactions: TheOne1910
1 - 9 of 9 Posts