Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I at one time have loaded up 50 356W. with HDY. 200 GR. FTX. using HDY's printed data, rifle used in their data was a Marlin 336 ER.
The only problem was that a suggested maximum C.O.L is 2.600" the cartridge won't clear the tube magazine by the gummy tip.
Well being at a public range 78 miles from my door I breech load these rounds to see if it would be worth shorting the cases more than the .010" suggested.
To my delight at 50 yards I put two in the X ring & one in the 10 ring. So my answer yes, I'll trim to find a functional length for my rifle.

Now If you have a 356 W. in Win. or Marlin and you use HDY. 200 GR. FTX. can you share your experiences with me and other OM members too.
TO NY馃椊
PS. It's an accurate bullet in my Steel receiver BLR 81 358Win. I bought new in 1983.

Reactions: ballistics04

Registered
I tried some 200gr FTX loads in my
Big Bore 94. Did testing out to 200yds.I loaded mine in full length case and single fed as well.
I found that both 180gr and 220 gr Speers shot as well or better from an accuracy standpoint, as did the 250 gr Hawks. Don't see any advantage to the FTX. I'm certainly not going to shorten any 356 cases to be able to use them. Cases are too hard to find, and too expensive when you do to alter them for some theoretical ballistic advantage, that doesn't really mean much.
The 356 is a 250 yd-300yd cartridge at it's best IMHO. And within those ranges, I find no reason to waste money and time with the FTX in a 20 inch barreled 94.

Registered
Here is a link to one of my post:

The AA 2460 is my go to with the FTX.

Administrator
my results so far:
Note I have been using CCi #34 primers which are equivalent to large Rifle magnum
(It was all I had at the time )

N View attachment 899869

Sure wish I could enlarge that data so I could read it. Can you enlarge it and re-post it? It'd be much appreciated.

Jack

Super Moderator
Thanks for the load data. I haven't had time to do any load development with my JES rebored 356W yet. Hopefully next year...

Registered
Thanks for the load data. I haven't had time to do any load development with my JES rebored 356W yet. Hopefully next year...
BTW the load results I shared are all from a Marlin 336 with a JES rebore to .356W
Use with caution as some of the loads caused
very sticky extraction. Polishing the chamber helps but I would not recommend using loads near maximum without first working up
Per Normal

Registered
Here is a link to one of my post:

The AA 2460 is my go to with the FTX.
ditto on AA2460. You mentioned 43.6 grains
I was getting good results with 43.3 -43.5 did get as high a velocity as I was hoping only 2200 FPS
Ultimately I got best results at 44.3 but
It is on the hot side. I get 2267 FPS average
Thanks for sharing your results. Good work

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What was the case trim length?
It鈥檚 been quite a while since I reloaded 356W. with HDY鈥檚 200gr. FTX. I went by HDY鈥檚 printed instructions. I think I trimmed cases to 2鈥 or 1.995鈥. My loaded cartridge OAL was/is 2.600鈥. Tony

Registered
H322 gave me top velocity and around 1/2 inch groups at 100. It was by far the best powder I have used

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Trim the pointed tip off with sharp wire cutter or razor knife...
Yes, for a two shot. With the gummy tip without the gummy tip might still be small enough to rest on the primer.
Cutting the gummy tip off is a quick solution if that鈥檚 all that鈥檚 need.
I would like to shorten only 6 cases to get 2.560" just to fill the mag. and the rest at C O L @ 2.600" for breech loading.
PS. HDY. has 200gr RN COL @ 2.560" and 200 gr. FTX @2.600"
The FTX at COL of 2.600" tip won't clear mag.
I would have to see if cutting tip rounds vs shorten case rounds suffice any accuracy.
On a side note, I think the gummy tips will put out easily
Tony

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 19 of 19 Posts