Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I have just bought a win 94 as the marlin i wanted fell through. the serial no. 4024xxx I am assuming its around 73-74 era? here she is, one day the marlin will be mine but until the one i want is available i will use this.

its for using alongside tracking hound and driven game,atb wayne

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
nice lookin' rifle

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's I am hoping i havn't made an error as i wanted my birth year rifle and i think it comes in at around 1973-4 hopefully somebody can enlighten me, atb wayne

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice rifle! I remember that model. It think it was called the "antique" model, or something along that line.

It was one of the few 94's that they produced with a case hardened receiver with the stamp engraved scroll work. I also seem to remember that it was different from the standard models in that it had a saddle ring.

However, it was not a commemorative, but more of premium version of the 94, which sold for a bit more. There were limited runs of this model for maybe 2 or 3 years in the early 70's. Consequently, in good shape, they are usually valued a bit more than the standard models of the same period.

I remember admiring one at the time, but already having the standard version and limited funds, I had to let it pass.

Cheers

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice rifle! I remember that model. It think it was called the "antique" model, or something along that line.

It was one of the few 94's that they produced with a case hardened receiver with the stamp engraved scroll work. I also seem to remember that it was different from the standard models in that it had a saddle ring.

However, it was not a commemorative, but more of premium version of the 94, which sold for a bit more. There were limited runs of this model for maybe 2 or 3 years in the early 70's. Consequently, in good shape, they are usually valued a bit more than the standard models of the same period.

I remember admiring one at the time, but already having the standard version and limited funds, I had to let it pass.

Cheers
Thank you for all the information thats really interesting. I really went on a gut feeling it looked in good nick and thought looking at the numbers it was close to my birth date so went with it, i havn't picked it up as yet but all payed for which in your money was $250 so I am pleasently suprised and hope she shoots ok but looking at it it has a nice patina so aged quite well, atb wayne

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
Wow!! At $250 U.S. you did very good !

Reactions: Pereira

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, for only $250 US, you did get a bargain. From the wood to the blued parts, it looks to be in fantastic condition. The receiver on this model is meant to look mottled like it does in the picture. When I mentioned case hardening, I should have used the term color case hardening.

In the old days(19th and early 20th century) when Winchester still took special orders, having the receiver color case hardened was always an extra fee. People ordered it for looks as much as practicality. However, at some point in the early 20th century, Winchester quit handling such special orders.

Consequently, when they re-introduced this process by offering the "antique" model for a few years, it became a desirable model.

It also had the advantage that unlike a commemorative, it was meant for use in the field. I think you will really be pleased when you get your hands on it.

No, wait, I just checked and this model is prone to catch fire and the air bags will fail to inflate. You better just send it to me for disposal:flute:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha thats funny, thanks again for all the info this is going to be one well used winchester, its going all over the world hunting, just cannot wait to get my mits on it, I was in the first instance gutted when the marlin fell through but i suppose thats fate, I will in the next week or so post an update as i am stuck waiting for it to be delivered, atb wayne

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well a quick update i took the rifle home last night and wow, the rifle is in great shape the stock was pretty beat up with dings and scrapes but everything else is super condition. I took it apart as soon as i got home and stripped off the varnish and steamed the walnut stock. well what a transformation i have today given a light sand and sealed the stock and later gave a coat of alcanet oil and its great, tomorrow i start with the walnut oil and pics to follow, I have ordered a skinners barrel mount sight and a hanger for a sling this is going to be one super rifle, atb wayne

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
There was a "gun dealer" that had one of those at a Gun Show this past weekend and had a price tag of $800 on it. I kept walking.

Mike T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.