Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,
I am getting set up to start reloading for 336 :) I got looking at the different powders and for now am thinking that W-748 seems to perfom very well across the board. I would just like hear from others that have either used and /or are using this powder what your opinion on this powder is. Or is there a different powder that I should be considering?
Any advise or recommendations on this subject will be very welcome and helpful thank you 336A.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Although I shoot primarily cast bullets now, I love this powder with my 170gr. corelokts and use various charges for hunting and for plinking. The only one that rivals peformance of this powder is BL C-2 and seems to be nearly identical in most ways. I buy whichever one is cheaper and work up my loads. I know that Rel. 15 also is in the same league. If I want some temperature stability, I go with Varget that sends down superior performance in a slightly harder to handle powder. (metering) I also feel the Varget can suffer some higher pressure problems in the higher doses.

·
Registered
957 Posts
WW-748 is also called H-335. They work great in the .308 Win, but I'm not much of a .30-30 shooter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use 34 gr of 748 behind a 170 gr bullet either Hornady's or Sierra's. I haven't had the chance to put these over my chrony yet but hope to in the near future. With factory sights and with elbows resting on the benchrest I got a 10 shot group of about 3" at 50 yards. As I said I hope to get to the range again very soon with the proper gear and give this load a better test. I may even mount a scope for the testing for better sighting then take the scope back off when done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts