Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a Marlin forum but I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with Winchesters, also!! I was in Tennessee this weekend for the annual Guns and Ammo Forum SE shoot. One of the other members from south Florida brought several rifles is wife recently inherited. It's an 1894 in .38-55 with a pistol grip and what's called the short set trigger. The rear trigger is very close to the front trigger and the rear trigger moves forward when the rifle its cocked. It didn't seem to make the trigger pull any lighter, does the rear trigger still have to be pushed farther forward to set it?? Or would the set screw have to be adjusted to lighten it?? I didn't have a lot of time to inspect the rifle and I'm waiting for more information from him so I can do some more research. I'll have to get some pictures, 'cause there was also a take down version of this rifle, not sure if this one is or not!!
She also inherited an 1894 carbine in .38-55, and 1873 Springfield, and Savage under lever single shot in .32 rim fire, and a Daisy VL .22.

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
Likely a model 64 with the pistol grip, basically a rifle version of the 94 carbine.

It would make a good one to own. Usually you pull the back trigger to set, and the front then gets very light to touch.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, it's a '94, pistol grip was an option on this model. I think of it as a shotgun grip, since it's smaller and straighter than a pistol grip. Found a picture of similar one online. WOW!! You've got a lot of stars!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Swany is one of the best!!!

Looking forward to seeing pics!!

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

I see 4 special order options on the rifle in the photo. In the early days of 94 production anyone ordering a new rifle or carbine could order from a list of extra cost options. The '94 could be ordered in standard form or with options up to and including deluxe models.

That rifle has (1) checkering, (2) pistol grip, (3) set triggers, and (4) takedown. There could be additional options not shown in the photo.

A fine old rifle and valuable, too. You should have it appraised by a professional.

Jim

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not the actual rifle but pictures I found on line so you could see what the trigger looked like. The owner lives in south Florida. I asked him to get me some more pictures. His didn't have checkering, I don't know if it's a takedown, and it has a curved steel butt plate. I wish I would have taken a better look at it, but there was a lot going on at the time. It does shoot good!! We test fired it with some of my mild Trail Boss loads. Unfortunately, he's not a reloader and ammo is an issue for him.
Those of us on the Guns and Ammo forum meet once a year at another members farm in Tennessee for a meet and greet. Whoever wants to come can show up, so there's always lots to see and shoot, and I'm easily distracted. There's usually about 40-50 people there, from all over the country, we even have a guy that comes from New Zeeland!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts