Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
newbie question... just ordered the williams .50 twilight peep aperature for the williams 5d sight.
question is, does the term "twilight" mean best used in low light conditions? ordered this on the
assumption it might be better for target shooting on the 336W.

·
Premium Member
10,957 Posts
.50??..........................Do you mean .150??..........I use a .150 on some of my rifles,and it's good in low light, early mornings and late afternoons.................

I would have said "evenings".........but now, I hope to be back at Camp in the late "afternoon"..........for cocktail hour........... ;D ;D................No more walking out after dark, for me...........

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
1/2" (.50) aperture seems a bit large.....sure that's not a typo?

·
Banned
610 Posts
Topper said:
newbie question... just ordered the williams .50 twilight peep aperature for the williams 5d sight.
question is, does the term "twilight" mean best used in low light conditions? ordered this on the
assumption it might be better for target shooting on the 336W.
It has a larger than normal opening and includes a brass ring to increase light gathering. This is designed for low light and not for target shooting.

And everyone who owns a Williams peep knows he made a typo. Try to overlook that... ;D

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's .050" and smaller than what ships with the WGRS. I like mine and am sure it would be much more accurate than the .093 or .090 that came with it, at least at distances of 40 or 50 yards or more. I haven't used it for low-light yet, so I can;t say there, but I'll take Mogwai's word about the brass ring and light gathering. When mine arrived, I wondered why it had the bright ring, so that's answered now.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I've used them for years, in all sizes. They work very well indeed. I always carry a binoc anyhow, and I have been able to see a deer body well enough to make a shot long after I had to use binocs to see antlers. If there is snow, I carry a plain black one in a shirt pocket to change out if the sun is too bright.
Don't let these joksters give you a hard time on your typo, they are usually the ones that have the big Trench Gun Combat Sights on their rifles! :-* ;D

·
Registered
472 Posts
I tried that aperture but didn't notice any light gathering ability, actually I think the idea is to just outline the aperture with a bit of reflected light off the brass inside ring. Either way I still prefer no aperture and a firesite bead, which will get you through 99% of legal time.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I tried the Twilight aperture years ago and found it to be of no value to me at all. Seeing the aperture is not a problem in low light. Seeing the front sight is the problem. Some like the fiber optic-type front sight, and it certainly works, but I find it imprecise. I have come to prefer a silver blade front sight. Not as bright as fiber optic, but brighter than a plain post or bead.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Twilight Apertures have a brass insert that is supposed to help in low light. I happent to like them but only for aesthetic appeal at this time. I haven't really tried to compare in low light. when i do, I'll report.

·
Registered
243 Posts
instead of buying a twilight app. i took a piece of white masking tape and placed over the hole, and then used a razor to cut out the center, i know it's not brass, but it's a lighter color that draws more light to the eye. but anyway it did'nt seem to help me at all.

·
Banned
610 Posts
mogwai said:
It has a larger than normal opening and includes a brass ring to increase light gathering. This is designed for low light and not for target shooting.

And everyone who owns a Williams peep knows he made a typo. Try to overlook that... ;D
Well, spank my butt! I actually looked at Midway online catalog. The twilight aperature refers only to the brass ring on the outside. It is offered in .050", .093", .125" and .150" hole.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
The Twilight Apertures have a brass insert that is supposed to help in low light.
I use a 2-7x32mm scope to compensate for a lack of good shooting light. It works great.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I've got the 1/2"ODx.050"ID "Twilight" insert on a Lyman LA66 receiver sight on my 444T, I'm not convinced that it makes it easier to see in the darkness?, as said the front sight must bee seen also, last week in the darkness of full forest canopy it was dark enough that I couldn't see the sights on my Rugers MK II and BearCat but I could see the sights on the 444 enough to put three shots in the bullseye touching each other at about 40yrds.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't believe the twilight aperture makes the front sight, target or background any easier to see, only makes it easier to find the rear sight. I have a couple of them on some Marlin lever actions with the Williams 5D receiver rear sights and tritium front inserts from XS Sight Systems for the stock front ramps.

In low light the tritium makes it easier to sight a dark target on a dark background. Shows up well just after first light and dusk in heavy forest and drainages where the sunlight gets blocked during legal hunting hours.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts