Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attached a 5D peep to my 1978 336 in 30.30 Anyone have this setup and know where I should start for elevation? I'll probably be shooting Remington 170gr at 100 yards. Thanks!

Ted

·
Registered
110 Posts
Without knowing the height of your front sight, no one will be able to give you valid information. Are you using the original sight? If so, you'll probably have to get a higher one.

Your best bet is to just do it yourself... Go to the William's site and download their catalogue. Near the bottom of their catalogue they explain in precise detail how to calculate the correct height of either the front or rear sight when one of them is of fixed height. In your case, start with your front sight and go from there.

Then using a caliper take the measurements and adjust your rear to center the peep at the correct height. If there is not enough adjustment, you'll have to get a higher front sight.

Using this method you should be able to get very close or at minimum on paper at 25 yards and go front there to zero it at the distance you want.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
The easy way is to just put up a target and shoot and see where you are and adjust from there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I'll measure it up when i get home. Bummer, i didn't think i'd have to order a new front sight, I guess I'll be using a sub six o clock hold until I get it figured out!

Ted

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have several rifles with FP and 5-D rear sights and factory front sights that shoot just fine. Have you shot it with the sight on it yet?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
As said above, start at 25 yds. Put up a big piece of blank paper or cardboard with a 1" or 2" black dot in the middle of it. Don't use a printed target as most of them are to "busy" visually and without a good spotting scope you will be constantly walking back and forth to the target to check for you hits. The blank paper will allow you to see your hits at 25 yds. and you can walk the shots into the black dot by adjusting after each shot. No need to shoot groups of 3 or more at this stage.

When you are hitting or at least nicking the small dot move the target back to 50 yds., then 75, then 100. This will save ammo as you should always be at least on the paper every shot and pretty close to your bullseye at the beginning of shooting at each distance.

If you can't get your ammo zeroed at 100 yds. because you are out of adjustment on the 5D, THEN you will need to consider a different height front sight. With any luck, that won't be necessary.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: Thanks!

tlightburn said:
I'll measure it up when i get home. Bummer, i didn't think i'd have to order a new front sight, I guess I'll be using a sub six o clock hold until I get it figured out!

Ted
I've never needed a new front sight on a .30-30 using Williams SIDE-MOUNTED aperture sights and the 170 gr. factory loads. NEVER. Try it first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Didn't have to...its up past the first heavy dash (1/4 of the way) and it hits at 100 yards with a six o'clock hold.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Someone has to get lucky. I've almost always had to change front sights. Good for you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts