Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this sight but no instructions. Anyone advise what the big silver ringed screw is for, I found the Elevation and Windage screws on the top, but can't figure what this ringed screw does. should it be loosed before adjusting Elevation? Can't seem to find a guide as to what this screw does.

Appreciate from those who know.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
That type of peep seems to cover the widest range of bullet weights. No big deal for the one load shooter, but my lever guns are used over a wide range of bullet weights and power levels.

I like the Lyman, with click adjustments, and the only weak point, is aluminum base mounts will loosen in the cold. A sight mounted snug on a hot summer day will often be loose in the cold. I regularly give mine a tweak to be sure that they are secure.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
There's also small set screws for locking windage and elevation. Make sure you loosen them up before making adjustments, too, and then snug them back down, but don't overdo. You can strip out the threads on those aluminum bodied peeps like the Williams if you get too aggressive. I use the Williams sights on a lot of our Marlins, but its pretty easy to lose those little screws if you aren't careful. I make it a habit to check them for tightness before carrying out in the field.

·
Registered
5,265 Posts
Since I tend to be kind cheap that is the sight I generally buy. You may find that it can be a bit sticky when the elevation screw is loosened but that is what it is. There is also a small set screw on top for fine adjustment and it is a good idea to bottom it when the rifle is sighted in. I also agree with Tman but I generally just use one laod in my Marlins.

DEP

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Since I tend to be kind cheap that is the sight I generally buy.
I hunted with an old farmer that used a 20ga Single shot with slugs, He had taken a .222 case, cut the base off, drilled out the primer pocket, and mounted it on the barrel just ahead of the chamber. With a bit of Kentucky windage, he was deadly.

Now that's an economy minded shooter ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts