Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have this Lyman ST reloading press. I also already have 2 extra turrets for it (I think that's correct terminology for the red round thing that holds the dies?) as well as a few dies I won't be needing .

Anyone know if it'll reload 45/70 Gov't for my 1895CB Marlin? And does anyone have any suggestions as to better, faster, easier to use reloading presses to use now being produced/sold for reloading .45 ACP *AND* 45/70 Gov't?

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Go Blue!

Hey Marlin Man,

No clue on first question?

I use the Dillon 500B for all my rifle needs. Does admirably on the 45 acp (500 rds/hr):flute:

Due to the five pic rule, you will need to read the next post, to see how the ammo loaded on the 550B shoots.:flute:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Go Blue!

Hey MM,

Many folks say that one can not load "accurate" ammo, on a "progressive" machine.:flute:

Here are some pics. 22-250AI (with 12X Unertl), 30-06 (from a Garand), 38-55 (Skinner Alaskan), and 45/70 (Skinner Express). Think they are accurate enough?:flute:

Later, Mark

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
My motto has always been, "dance with the gal ya brought to the dance". What is there about the Lyman that leads you to believe it won't make 45-70 ammo? It's not up to the press, it is up to you. I've never seen one of these old presses worn out. I've seen some with wear and have one with some washers shimming the handle. If it is free of rust and works the way it should, it will likely make anything you ask it.

Unless there is something broken that is not apparent in the photo.

Jeff

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey MM,

Many folks say that one can not load "accurate" ammo, on a "progressive" machine.:flute:

Here are some pics. 22-250AI (with 12X Unertl), 30-06 (from a Garand), 38-55 (Skinner Alaskan), and 45/70 (Skinner Express). Think they are accurate enough?:flute:

Later, Mark
Well I'm trying to just get started until I sell my shotgun shell reloaders and can buy a first class pistol & rifle cartridge reloader.

I've been looking online, and seems to be a wide variance of types and brands of reloaders and prices thereof.

Any & all suggestions/experience with different,easier to use, better & faster reloaders will be appreciated appreciated.

All my reloading experience was with shotgun shells and even that was *years ago*. So it seems I've forgotten a lot of that I used to know. I guess if ya don't use it , ya lose it.

My dad bought the Lyman, and don't think he loaded over 400 rds with it. Best I can tell by the pistol ammo we *still* have.

So I am learning pistol and rifle reloading for the first time, and relearning what I have forgotten as well. maybe I need a fast "catching up lesson" or ten?

Want to talk accuracy?......And *this is a true story*, not a tall tale..

.FWIW,when I attended ORMI, (later renamed ORA), ( and then had much better eyesight & was much younger than I am now, of course) I tried out for the ORMI Rifle Team.

While taking the MT course which required shooting a 22 caliber marksman weapon I got pretty good with the rifle.

So when trying out for the Rifle Team at the "tryouts".....The RT Teacher (Sgt Major Woodard) said I missed the complete target twice yet put one shot dead center of bulls eye. What's up with that?

I told him he was mistaken that all 3 shots entered the same hole, or so close to it, that he thought I'd only hit the target once.

He didn't believe me. So I repeated the feat 3 more times while he watched with binoculars.

He finally agreed with me.

I also could could keep a soda or beer can going up in the air after a friend had tossed it up, with my 22 cal Long Rifle Remington rifle , until I ran out of ammo.

How's that for accuracy? But I doubt I can do those tricks nowadays....but I may try it if I can get some ammo reloaded.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My motto has always been, "dance with the gal ya brought to the dance". What is there about the Lyman that leads you to believe it won't make 45-70 ammo? It's not up to the press, it is up to you. I've never seen one of these old presses worn out. I've seen some with wear and have one with some washers shimming the handle. If it is free of rust and works the way it should, it will likely make anything you ask it.

Unless there is something broken that is not apparent in the photo.Jeff

Well....I cannot find the owner's manual/instruction manual to the Lyman in the ammo room. So have no info to tell me what it's reload. Thought it might be better to ask first. And the Lyman just seems upside down/backwards to me as I am more familiar with the shot shell type reloading design presses.

So all I need to do it buy the 45/70 and 45 ACP dies, some new powder and bullets read a few books and try a few? Sounds good to me

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That's an old Lyman Spar-T turret press.

I have one. It does 45-70 just fine, thank you.
Is it fairly easy to reload a lot of cartridges in a short amount of time? can you direct me to a link that supplies the Owner's/ Instruction manual? I'm somewhat confused about how to operate it. I probably could figure it out if I spent enough time, but do not want to damage any thing on it because I'm *very unfamiliar* with it.

My Dad used to operate great, but he's 90 now, and he seems unsure exactly how it worked, bless his heart. Guess I should have learned it long ago when he was using it.

It's somewhere around a mid 1970s- to early 1980s machine but has been used *very little* and seems nice and snug. I sure don't want to bugger it up because I don't know how to operate correctly

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey MM,

With that type of machine, one may want to "batch" load.

Place one suitably lube case in the shell holder, and select the sizing die, on the turret. Size/de cap it (if your brass in needing trimmed, now is the time to address that), and rotate turret to the "expander" die. "Bell" the mouth of the case.

Repeat (say you are doing 100 rds).

You will now have 100 pieces of brass, ready to prime. Suggest a hand primer (Lee, RCBS, Sinclair.....). Prime the brass. You now have 100 rds of brass, ready to charge with powder.

Now, run them under the powder measure, putting the "charged" cases in loading blocks. (the 20 ga block works fine, for the 45/70)

Now, take a charged case, and insert it into the shell plate. Select the seating die (properly adjusting same), and seat a bullet. Rotate the turret, selecting the crimp die, and crimp.

You now have a loaded round.

You will have pulled the handle four times, and handled each case four times.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey MM,

With that type of machine, one may want to "batch" load.

Place one suitably lube case in the shell holder, and select the sizing die, on the turret. Size/de cap it (if your brass in needing trimmed, now is the time to address that), and rotate turret to the "expander" die. "Bell" the mouth of the case.

Repeat (say you are doing 100 rds).

You will now have 100 pieces of brass, ready to prime. Suggest a hand primer (Lee, RCBS, Sinclair.....). Prime the brass. You now have 100 rds of brass, ready to charge with powder.

Now, run them under the powder measure, putting the "charged" cases in loading blocks. (the 20 ga block works fine, for the 45/70)

Now, take a charged case, and insert it into the shell plate. Select the seating die (properly adjusting same), and seat a bullet. Rotate the turret, selecting the crimp die, and crimp.

You now have a loaded round.

You will have pulled the handle four times, and handled each case four times.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark
Thanks that is some help to me.

Can anyone tell me the more sophisticated reloaders brands & model numbers for pistol & rifle cartrigdes that are made to today that are *designed more like, and operates in pretty much the same manner as * the Pacific DL350 shot gun shell reloader pictured below.

I'd like to be able to buy a new reloader to do the 45/70 with and have this Lyman set up for .45ACP. I'd be able to buy a new reloader after I sell the shot gun shell reloaders I also have now.

I'd like one that allows me to do a lot of reloading in a short amount of time *with the least trouble*. One where I can do a lot of loading in "one run".

Pacific DL-350 shot gun shell reloader pic:

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have the twin to your Lyman press. I do load for my 45-70 on my Lyman press and use the batch process method.
I typically use this press for hunting loads which for me are 45-70, 30-06, .308 and .243.
I use a RCBS Pro 2000 for volume loading of .45 ACP and .45 Colt handgun loads.

Since you have three red turrets you should be able to set up die for three calibers and simply switch turrets and shell holders as needed.
Enjoy,
Mike

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the twin to your Lyman press. I do load for my 45-70 on my Lyman press and use the batch process method.
I typically use this press for hunting loads which for me are 45-70, 30-06, .308 and .243.
I use a RCBS Pro 2000 for volume loading of .45 ACP and .45 Colt handgun loads.

Since you have three red turrets you should be able to set up die for three calibers and simply switch turrets and shell holders as needed.
Enjoy,
Mike
How many rds per hour can you reload with it? Number of rds per hour is important to me as is ease of use/changing cals

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.