Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to mount an XS Ghost Ring sight on one of my Marlins. They are both Model 336 (no suffix). One was made in 1974 and the other in 1981.

This Midway link says this sight fits the "newer model" 336 with .700" hole space on the front base.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=920514

I don't have the guns with me, so I can't measure, and I don't know what they mean by "newer".

Can anyone tell me if the front ramp will fit either (or both) of my Marlins?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Both of yours are probably .700" front sight hole spacing, However, measure to make sure.

Most 336s have the .700" front sight hole spacing, however, some of the newer models have 1.00" front sight hole spacing, and some of the older models and 336 Ws have a dovetailed front sight directly cut into the barrel.

Like I said, measure to be sure.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally got the chance to measure the 1974 front sight screw spacing and it was indeed .7 inches. So at least I know that rifles as early as 1974 are considered "newer". Thanks for the feedback.

I ordered the XS Ghost Ring and front sight ramp and sight and will let anyone interested know if they line up or if I will need a different height front sight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts