Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will an FP/WGRS sight work with an XS Scout scope mount?
I have lurked and learned that most if not all the ghost rings are higher then the FPs and Lymans and I saw the customized weaver base with a Williams but haven't seen the Williams/XS combo anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
What are you trying to do? Co-witness the sights and scope?

The WGRS/FP attach to the rear scope mount holes in the receiver. If the XS base only uses the front two receiver holes the sights will fit, but I would guess a co-witness set up will work poorly since the line of sight through the irons would be much lower than the scope centerline.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
blackfly,

Who knows? The 336 forum has been pretty slow lately. Try your question on the Big Bore forum and/or go to leverguns and ask.

I haven't tried this set up. But...I see no reason it won't work just fine. The WGRS has a fairly high profile, like the XS, and it usually requires a higher front sight, anyway. I am guessing that when you remove the scope from the scout mounts, the WGRS line of sight will be above the scope mount and work just fine. I'm only guessing as I have no experience using the scout scope configuration.

It ain't you, Brother. Just a slow time on the forum. Lots of grass to mow, softball, etc. :wink:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you StillHunter.
I ordered the scope mount yesterday and have both an FP and a WGRS so I'll give it a go and let ya know.
I'm thinking like you that the WGRS is the one that'll work.

I hear ya on this not being the season to sit in front of a screen but with over 120 views some of those lawns ain't getting mowed......

blackfly

·
Registered
85 Posts
blackfly,

Yes, either one will work with the caveat that the FP may require that you drill and tap holes on the left side of the receiver. Older 336's came pre-tapped with filler screws, but newer ones don't. I don't know the switch-over year offhand.

Here is a link to a thread under the tips and comments section at Beartooth Bullets. The first post has a link to an article on drilling and tapping yourself. Of course, a gunsmith could handle this too.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=23212&highlight=drill+tap

I have the WGRS on my 444.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to be slow on the reply but had to go north Monday morn to buy some trees and am just now getting back to a keyboard.
I came home to find the scope mount in the mail so I’ll try both flavors of the Williams’ that I have and see which one feels good.

****** – I’m putting ‘em on a new-last-year 336 so both are setup to use the rear scope mount holes.
Thanks for the help and I’ll check-in with how I make out.

blackfly

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing. Getting ready to place my order for a scout scope and a receiver peep. I can't decide between the 5D and the WGRS. I like the small and simple WGRS but I'm afraid it's going to sit up so high it will interfere with the veiw down the scope. On the other hand, I'm afraid the 5D will be so low that I won't be able to see over the XS mount when the scope is removed.

I know alot of folks use the XS ghost ring but I want something cheaper. The WGRS is less than half the prise of the XS sight. But, it looks like the WGRS sticks up quite a bit higher.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got all the pieces together and installed to answer my own question.
The WGRS on my 336 does in fact "see" up over the XS Scout Mount and does not interfere at all with the scope's site picture.

Hope to find out over the weekend where the peep sights shoot as most seem to have to get a higher front sight when using the WGRS.
Will report any and all findings.

Not news to a lot of folks here but the scout scope setup works way beyond any hopes I may have had.
4 shots to get to zero and now the thing is scary on.
This rig is gonna have bullwinkle written all over it come Oct.

blackfly

·
Registered
562 Posts
Supercool!

What load are you using for moose?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
200gr Core-Loks or Revolutions.

I just answered this in a PM but wanted to throw it into the big stew.

An older model 5D will in fact see over the scout mount with both the aperture screwed in or out and that was measured with the 5D being bottomed out.

Stillhunter's spot on with the front sight height.
An older front sight dovetailed in the barrel is good to go with a 5D.
A WGRS with a ramp front sight needs a higher sight.

blackfly

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
****** Loco said:
blackfly,

Yes, either one will work with the caveat that the FP may require that you drill and tap holes on the left side of the receiver. Older 336's came pre-tapped with filler screws, but newer ones don't.
Hey ******,

I think you got it wrong, my man.
The old Marlins did not have the top of the recievers pre-drilled, but the new Marlins do. So basically you can mount a scope base or Williams or XS sight without drilling and tapping. The article to which you posted the link is written for mounting an old style reciver sight (side mounted) on newer rifles. Here is a link to Williams FP sight for newer Marlins. It bolts to the top (factory pre-drilled) of the reciever:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=968159

Note the two holes on the mounting bracket at the top.

Cheers,
Mad

·
Registered
688 Posts
blackfly said:
Thank you StillHunter.
I ordered the scope mount yesterday and have both an FP and a WGRS so I'll give it a go and let ya know.
I'm thinking like you that the WGRS is the one that'll work.

I hear ya on this not being the season to sit in front of a screen but with over 120 views some of those lawns ain't getting mowed......

blackfly
Some folks can barely navigate from topic to topic much less post after a few post lawn mowing beers. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts