Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an option to purchase a Marlin XS7 and I would like to rebarrel it to a 6.5x55 and shoot 140gr projectiles. My currently loaded cartridge COL is 2.950". You may ask, "Why 2.950 inches?" Well, the reason is that places my bullet .010" off the lands. I understand that the maximum COL on a ,260 Remington is 2.850". My concern is, will the .150" difference cause the short action be too short to feed and chamber the 6.5x55?

·
Registered
869 Posts
I belive the XS mag will load 2.900 to 2.920 depending on the Mag I have found some + or - .020 Hope This Helps DD

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have PM'd you in the first place Dan. You seem to have all the answers when it comes to Savage and Marlin centerfires. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
You will need a long action.Why not go with a 260 or 6.5 X 284????

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
longarch said:
I already have a 6.5x55 SS varmint barrel. Thanks for asking though. ;D
Well thats a pretty good reason. ;D

·
Registered
990 Posts
So cut the 6.5x55 barrel back and rechamber it for the 260Rem. I have an XS-7 action rechambered to 284 winchester, and you will not get much more than 2.80" from that mag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bandit. I will rechamber this barrel some day but with initial groups like this, it will be a while. lol.... It stays on the Savage for now. I think that I'll just save a little and order a 260AI Rem next year. lol....

·
Registered
631 Posts
My XS7 magazine mics out at 2.9008. I hope this info helps you with you project.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BR549 said:
My XS7 magazine mics out at 2.9008. I hope this info helps you with you project.
Thanks BR for taking the time to mic it for me. It looks like I'm just gonna have to find an XL7 to meet my needs.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
Never mess with success!
Looks like you have all the excuse you need to build another rifle instead of switching a barrel over.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Click Click Boom said:
Never mess with success!
Looks like you have all the excuse you need to build another rifle instead of switching a barrel over.
I agree. I made that decision yesterday and swapped trades with the guy that I originally committed to purchase the XS7 from. He in now sending me an XL7 instead. I've got a Savage 24" SS 270 Win varmint barrel that I've decided to get shaved to fit the XL7. Thanks for the advice guys.

Jeff

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think the longer XL action will suit you better than the XS. The box from my XS-7 308 measures 2.835" and that leaves little more than .03" clearance for a cartridge measuring 2.80" OAL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts