Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link to a very good article I just read on wilderness living. This is not a rosey picture of going back to nature, but a very realistic ( in my opinion) look at the difficulties in trying to live self sufficient in todays world.

http://www.eco-action.org/dt/wildup.html

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Fella done his homework on the living primative, big thing I got from his story is get your own land first and choose it for the primative life.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
swany said:
Fella done his homework on the living primative, big thing I got from his story is get your own land first and choose it for the primative life.
Same conclusion I came to after reading the story. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be honest, I really thought a single man would have a easier time making the transition to a primitive lifestyle. I was a little disheartened by his final outcome, but I do think it is a realistic look at the problems faced in trying to unplug from our modern social and economical grid. I have often thought, how at the turn of the century there were families living in soddies on the texas plains with dirt floors, but if you were to do that today someone would call it child abuse. He proved I was correct in his story of the family he knew. I know you can't just move into the woods and set up a homestead, but I think property taxes would also come into play if trying to do it on a piece of property you purchased. Just seems nothing is as simple as it should be.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I think every situation, and every person is unique. What works for one may not ever work for another person, given the same set of circumstances. For me, the challenge, at least from what I have seen in the lower 48 would be to find some place far enough away where you wouldn't have to contend with conflict from those around you, wanting to tear you and your lifestyle down for your unplugging from the merry go round of 21st century America. There are places I suspect in the "states" but more opportunity I think exists in Alaska which has by far the least population density of any state in the union. That would be around 1 person per sq mile, however considering that half the state lives in Anchorage, or 50 miles from there, makes some areas quite remote and sparsely populated. There are lots of people doing it up here as they always have. I heard of people making small scale farming, Alaska style work for them with a little help from their own ingenuity. Then there is the sea. Where I now live on the inside passage there is plentiful seafood, as well as hunting and gardening for those who want to put in the effort. There are places where there is no local government, and thus zero property taxes where you could find land. Land tends to be expensive but once you have it, its yours. Again, obviously it aint for everybody, the winters can be challenging, but it isn't out of the question, even in this screwed up century we find ourselves in! People have always pushed further out and now there isn't any more room laterally, some have got past the notion of cold weather and pushed north. It all depends on how bad you want to get away.

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
Good read... kinda reminded me of Dick Proenneke that lived in Alaska up to his early eighties :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
LT said:
Good read... kinda reminded me of Dick Proenneke that lived in Alaska up to his early eighties :eek:
Proenneke I think should go down as one of the greats in AK history, not that he did "great" things so much as he showed everyone who was interested, through his documentation, how wilderness living should be done in the 20th century. Unfortunately it is much harder to do what he did nowadays, squat on public lands and build a cabin etc. That all started changing in the 70's to early 80's with the various land grabs. In the 50's my dad squatted on fed lands alongside a river in interior AK, built a cabin etc. In the 60's the feds gave everyone who had done that, deed to the land around their cabin, all that needed to be done is to survey 5 acres around it. Today if you squatted like that they would come and burn your cabin down.

·
Premium Member
8,310 Posts
eaglesnest said:
Proenneke I think should go down as one of the greats in AK history, not that he did "great" things so much as he showed everyone who was interested, through his documentation, how wilderness living should be done in the 20th century. Unfortunately it is much harder to do what he did nowadays, squat on public lands and build a cabin etc. That all started changing in the 70's to early 80's with the various land grabs. In the 50's my dad squatted on fed lands alongside a river in interior AK, built a cabin etc. In the 60's the feds gave everyone who had done that, deed to the land around their cabin, all that needed to be done is to survey 5 acres around it. Today if you squatted like that they would come and burn your cabin down.
He should be one of the greats in American history on work ethic alone. I got tired watching him work on TV ;D

·
Registered
188 Posts
LT said:
He should be one of the greats in American history on work ethic alone. I got tired watching him work on TV ;D
+1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts