Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trigger on my 1895 Guide Gun was heavy and gritty, and I would wonder when it would break as the front sight quivered on the target. I just installed a Wild West Trigger Happy Kit, and the trigger is now much better. Although it is nice and crisp, with a lighter pull, it breaks at about 5 lbs. I kind of wanted more like 3-3.5 lbs. like so many others who installed this trigger.

Is there a simple way to shave a lb. or so off the pull, without affecting reliability and/or safety?

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
195 Posts
Buy a reduced power spring kit for it and that will lighten it. Mine is super light but its been awhile since I pulled the trigger so nto sure of weight, guessing in the 3 lb. range.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
If you still have the old trigger, I suggest you work on honing it to change the angle slightly and polish it smooth. Is really an easy job to do. I can do one in about 40 minutes to an hour and can safely get it down around 2 pounds. There is s thread about it that I'll try to locate and link to for you.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Reactions: Slugnut

·
Registered
741 Posts
I agree with Dave.
I admit I have not tried the Wild West Trigger, but I have read reasons for staying with the Marlin designed trigger.
I reworked 6 Marlin triggers in one evening and all but one turned out great. All around 3 lbs and very smooth. I did mess up one; however, a new sear from Midway USA is only $15. I just ordered 2 new sears, replaced the one I messed up, and kept one for a spare. Wild West Triggers for all My Marlins would have cost as much as another Marlin. Rather have another Marlin.

Reactions: Slugnut

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
i too just took a marlin trigger from a gritty nasty at least 8 pounds down to a very smooth 4 pound pull. Very satisfied and if the wind dies down ths afternoon I will see if it helps me shoot better groups.

·
Registered
936 Posts
If I may put my bit in. I had a 'Trigger Happy kit' with Wolf springs fitted on my 1894 to smooth and lighten the trigger action for target shooting it certainly has done that but have just recently had light strikes with CCI primers but only on PPU cases that may be due to the primers not seating down enough . It has not happened with Remington or Starline .357 cases.

As Clouserminnow says the accuracy has improved but in my case that is for target shooting not hunting

Best

Grovesie

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Approx 5 years ago I had a WWG happy trigger placed on my 45-70 1895XLR. The original tigger on this pre Remlin was heavy and I was very indifferent the infamous Marlin trigger flop. The WWG trigger gave the rifle that polished touch, which greatly improved my off hand accuracy. Since then, I have placed these triggers on all nearly all my Marlins, both my JM and REP stamped guns. Not cheap, about $80 per gun.

I will say the WWG happy trigger pull is not 100% consistent. The trigger pull on my guns with the WWG installed, do very; 3lbs on the low side up to about 4.5 on the high side. Still an improvement of the 6-7+ lbs pulls that the guns originally had. Most my WWG triggered Marlins have a crisp break without any flop. A couple of the gun did have a very slight hit of gritty play before they broke, about 1/32" or 1/16". Yet, by the time I fired a couple boxes on the range, the grittiness was gone.

Overall, I'm a big fan of these WWG triggers.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a pre Remlin 1895GS I had an action job which included the trigger tuned up by a local gunsmith that specializes in tuning guns for cowboy action shooting.

My action/trigger are awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts