Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to express my gratitude to Wild West Guns (WWG). I’d purchased one one their kits that included the Happy trigger. Unfortunately when I put the trigger in, the hammer wasn’t pulled back far enough. The caused the hammer to drag along the entire bolt as the lever action was cycled. So I reinstalled the OEM parts and went shooting.

I called WWG a month or so I called and talk to Luke, the gunsmith at WWG. Luke spent 20-30 minutes talking with me on the issue. The final outcome was to install the parts again, to see how they would work. If the outcome was the same with the hammer dragging on the bolt, I’d need to send the kit and the gun to WWG and he’d personally fit it together.

So a few weeks drifted by, and I decided to try it again. Same exact result as before. But while I had the gun apart, I took some measurements with each trigger installed. The WWG trigger had a slightly shorter sear. I took pictures of both triggers installed as well the two triggers together on the pin that holds them in the rifle.

I called WWG again and spoke to Luke again. We went over everything thing again, and Luke said my hammer may be out of spec. I said ok, I’ll buy a new hammer. But they were out of stock of stainless hammers. Luke could only say to send the gun to him and he would make it right. I decided that I was going to drive the 7 hour trip to Las Vegas where the WWG shop is, as I hate shipping firearms. (I know, everyone ships them all the time, but in Kalifornia, ya just never know.)

I went ahead and sent WWG an email with the various pictures. An hour or two later, I got a call from Luke. He said after Kourtnee, other staff members and himself had reviewed the pictures, they decided to mail me a new trigger to try.

Kourtnee contacted me later that day, got my address and provided me with a tracking number. She mailed it Saturday and I got the new trigger on Monday. The trigger sear was slightly longer. I couldn’t figure out how to measure the difference in the two triggers, so I just put the new one in. Happily the new one works! The hammer is a little closer to the bolt than the OEM, but it operates well.

Luke, Kourtnee and the staff went above and beyond on their efforts to correct my issue. I really appreciate their service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Has a very similar issue with my 1895 SBL but haven’t had chance to do measurement like you have. Mine only drags ever so slightly from the point the lever is all the way open, as I close the lever- for maybe 1/4 inch. Thanks for the update though. Hopefully I’ll have time this weekend to do a full evaluation of the problem. And maybe be contacting WWG as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They do good work for sure. They handle Remington warranty work and I’ve had to take two rifles to them for warranty issues. My office was just down the street from them so I could stop by to drop them off and pick them up. They would contact me and update me on the status of the problems and let me know when it was ready to pick them up.
Overall I’m happy with them.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Seems all our sponsoring vendors provide good customer service! Awesome!

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
960 Posts
When I first got my 1895 the trigger pull was over the rate of my scale at 13 pounds. And it felt like dragging 2 pieces of 80 grit sand paper together. The Wild West trigger was very good. It breaks at about 4 pounds and is pretty smooth. I think anyone would be happy with it.

Reactions: jbridgely

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, I have been thinking about ordering one for my brand new 1895 SBL, this is pushing me toward the do it decision.
How were the results?

Padraig
I wish I had a trigger scale to give you real numbers, but I don’t. Guessing the OEM pull was 7-8 lbs. I have a Wilson combat classic that I know has 3.5 lbs trigger, measured by a friend. The WWG trigger pulls slightly more, so I’d guess 4lbs

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
My 16 year old grandson stripped down polished and smoothed his 336C as well as installed the wwg trigger, the wwg bear proof ejector, the red metal mag follower, big loop finger lever as well as the x/s aperture sighting system + rail all in one afternoon a couple of weekends ago.
I know the kid has watched every move I made when I worked on our Marlins but I was quite frankly surprised at his accomplishment.
When I congratulated him he mimicked me and said “it ain’t rocket science gramps”.
To be honest he said he had watched some good instructional videos on the net as well.
Pretty impressive for a 16 year old kid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thumbs up to Wild west guns

I acquired the wwm last December. Previously, I had purchased a Marlin SBL, despite the horror stories related to craftsmanship and reliability issues. I am sad to say, but I will never purchase a Marlin or Remington the rest of my life (which may not be long due to recent esophageal cancer diagnosis).

I invested over $500 in the SBL:
1. Competent gunsmith installed a wild west trigger
2. Bear proof ejector
3. Aluminum follower
4. Lever action tune

It would did not qualify as a semi-dangerous game rifle (I prefer to hunt alone), by failing to eject empty cartridges on a regular basis regardless of the ammunition.

I traded the rifle and purchased the wwm. Yes, wild west uses the base Remington/Marlin firearm but they disassemble and rebuild, ensuring that every part fits and is reliably functioning at each step of the process. What you get is the rifle that Marlin use to manufacture in a 6.5 pound package. I only shot it a few times before chemotherapy and radiation robbed me of my MOJO. Don't know what the future holds but at least I got to be the proud owner of a wwm rifle.

You have to own a modern Marlin 1895 and a Wild west magnum rifle to intelligently draw a logical conclusion between the two similar but VERY different rifles. Reading about it or talking with others doesn't give one the experiential knowledge that everyone of us is seeking.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Ordered the WWG happy trigger, bear proof ejector, metal mag follower, Brownells cowboy spring kit, hammer extension for my nephews gun as his birthday present.
The game plan was that when the stuff came in I would install it.
Came back from a mall grocery shopping trip all set to do the work and the kid (16 years old) met me in the living room and presented the rifle (Remlin 1895G Guide Gun) with the work all completed and asked me to inspect it to see if everything was done OK.
It was 100%.
Amazing kid.
A chip off the old block.:wavey:
Just about the whole family has a reworked Remlin of one model or the other.

Reactions: Travlin

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
One of the best thing we can teach the kids around us is self sufficiency.
Don't do it for them.
Show them how and encourage them to tackle it themselves.
They'll build up the confidence to tackle any of the challenges life throws at them.
It pleases me to no end to see adolescents doing modifications and repairs on guns that would be intimidating to most adults.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I acquired the wwm last December. Previously, I had purchased a Marlin SBL, despite the horror stories related to craftsmanship and reliability issues. I am sad to say, but I will never purchase a Marlin or Remington the rest of my life (which may not be long due to recent esophageal cancer diagnosis).

I invested over $500 in the SBL:
1. Competent gunsmith installed a wild west trigger
2. Bear proof ejector
3. Aluminum follower
4. Lever action tune

It would did not qualify as a semi-dangerous game rifle (I prefer to hunt alone), by failing to eject empty cartridges on a regular basis regardless of the ammunition.

I traded the rifle and purchased the wwm. Yes, wild west uses the base Remington/Marlin firearm but they disassemble and rebuild, ensuring that every part fits and is reliably functioning at each step of the process. What you get is the rifle that Marlin use to manufacture in a 6.5 pound package. I only shot it a few times before chemotherapy and radiation robbed me of my MOJO. Don't know what the future holds but at least I got to be the proud owner of a wwm rifle.

You have to own a modern Marlin 1895 and a Wild west magnum rifle to intelligently draw a logical conclusion between the two similar but VERY different rifles. Reading about it or talking with others doesn't give one the experiential knowledge that everyone of us is seeking.
I agree wholeheartedly 416Ruger. After the WWG trigger, ejector and follower, I added RPP loading gate and star lever screw. The rifle is acceptable now. However, I got started on my Marlin path recently, and wasn’t aware of WWG or RRP. Had I known about WWG, I definitely would have purchased one of their rifles over the Marlin. My hindsight is 20/20 as usual.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Some of the Marlins I fixed up had stiff loading gates.
It was simple enough while I had the gun stripped down to basic parts to do the deburring & polishing & other modifications to grind some of the metal off the loading gate spring thus alleviating this problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.