Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Wild West Big Loop Lever For 1895GS doesn't match brushed finish?? What the?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Veris7276 
#1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks,

So here I am outfitting my beautiful Marlin. I ordered the Big Loop Lever, and it arrives in a satin finish? What in the world?! Granted, I am finding that the brushed stainless is a nightmare to keep from getting scratches and marks, but why in the world is he sending me a lever advertised as stainless, and it is in a matte satin nickel looking finish? (Honestly, I would prefer a satin nickel finish on the rifle.....does he do that?)

Can someone enlighten me on this?

Chris

#3 ·
Just take a maroon scotchbrite pad and scratch it up with it. It will end up lookin just like the finish on the receiver. You will have to rub it against the grain of the metal though. It's easy to tell the difference. If it gets to smooth and shiny, just rub it perpendicular to that direction and you will get that brushed look just like your guns receiver and barrel. You can do the same thing on your rifle to remove scratches and it will look good as new.

#4 ·
It may have been bead blasted. Try 600 grit sandpaper and then follow it up with 2000 grit for a mirror finish. Or just stay with 600 for a natural look.

#5 ·
10-4....

I am going to call him tomorrow since he is in. (Want to make SURE it is not a finish. Though I think Hemi might be right.) Thank you T-Roy, I have been doing that with a gray pad which is called synthetic "000" steel wool. Essentially the same as scotch brite. The barrel was nicely resurfaced (Marlin's finishing lacks a lot to be desired.) with sandpaper 220 grit. (Just wrap the paper around the barrel, and close your fist around it, then rotate, slowly moving up the barrel. Looks wonderful.)

Still ... Stainless is turning out to be VERY hard to keep pristine. Anyone actually have one of these, that has given it a brushed finish?

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.