Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun Parts:

"If gun parts exceed $100.00 OR an Action, Receiver, Frame, Cylinder, Barrel, Flash Hider or Military Scope is orderd a State Department License is required. If your order requires an export license our Export Department will contact you."

I've been seeing this all over Brownell's site. When you search for an item and the listing comes up you see it on the right-hand side under the "Info." heading. Anybody know what this is all about?

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Believe that's only for imported items (or maybe for export also). :?:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
That's probably some Patriot Act requirement so someone can't blind order a bunch of weapon repair parts for the terroritsts or illegal overseas gun dealers. (maybe :wink: ....that's what it sounds like, tho)

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
"If gun parts exceed $100.00 OR an Action, Receiver, Frame, Cylinder, Barrel, Flash Hider or Military Scope is orderd a State Department License is required. If your order requires an export license our Export Department will contact you."
I think the key phrase here is "State Department License is required." Also note the last sentence, "If your order requires an export license our Export Department will contact you." The entire quote indicates they're talking to foreign customers, although the same procedures applies to U.S. citizens importing certain items.

Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (BATFE) contains page after page after page - - - of information that must be complied with in firearms (or any munitions) transactions. What it boils down to is all firearms parts such as barrels, cylinders, receivers (frames), or complete breech mechanisms, must have an import license. Small parts other than the above listed, with a total value not to exceed $100 wholesalle in any single transaction do not require import permit (license).

I think you can rest assured if you buy from any reputable wholesaler/retailer such as Brownells, all applicable import requirements have been met. Problems occur when individuals attempt purchases from foreign vendors that may not meet BATFE (0r other federal) requirements.

Check out post at http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78335
to see example of failure to meet such requirements.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Last notice I got from 'em said free shipping on orders over 100 bucks. SW

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I just thought it was kind of weird. I can understand about export restrictions and I know that you can't buy receivers and such without going through an FFL holder but to put a statement like that regarding just common gun parts I thought was a little strange. I usually hear from the NRA about any type of pending anti-gun legislation but I hadn't heard anything about trying to put controls on the sale of common replacement parts. I work with a company that produces a variety of pyrotechnic devices and just last week the BATF showed-up and had all 140 people that work there fill-out paperwork similar to what is required for firearm sales since we all have access to explosive material and devices. Last week I was also reading somewhere that the govt. is considering tightening restrictions on ammunition sales. Then, this notice shows-up on Brownell's site so I began to think that something might have happened that I didn't know about. Like you said Tubby, it's probably something associated with the Patriot Act. Maybe I need to lay-off the caffine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts