Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next month I'll be going on a hog hunt andif I'm fortunate enough to get one, I could sure use some cooking tips.
Any ideas anyone?
GH1 :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Marinate the back strap in red wine and apple juice over night. Place on foil or in a shallow pan, season with a good rub and grill over indirect fire for about 4 hours or until it's falling appart tender. It is very good.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
GH1 21 days in the freezer (tichanosis) then barbecued, baked or fried with salt and pepper I venture to say it will be the best pork you ever eat.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
trichinosis dies at 144F. as long as you're not eating your pork rare, you'll be fine without freezing it first.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
WE have arrived.

http://intcomtrichinellosis.monsite-orange.fr/page4/index.html

have a look and don't forget to click on (news)Index top left of page for latest accounts.
When I read about this last march I decided I didn't want to eat bear from Alaska or at a village in Russia where they killed a stray dog and had him in stew.
Don't get nervous about wild meat,be informed.That free grazing hog is the best hog you gonna eat.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everybody.

·
Registered
702 Posts
smaller ones can be split long ways and placed on a grate over a split oil drum. use the other half of drum as a 'lid'. a welder could hinge the lid.
cook it with the hardwood and charcoals in the corners, just alittle fire underneath the pig. yummy. I've seen kids pull a wild/feral pig apart when we layed it on picnic table

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Save some of the tougher cuts and make pozole!

Pozole (Pork and Hominy Soup)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 clove garlic ( I like more)
½ pound pork ( I have used pork loin, pork roast, etc) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 medium onion chopped ( about 3/4 cup)
2 cups cooked pinto beans ( a 30 ounce can works well)
1 can (30 ounce) hominy drained
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped green chilies (I just use a small can of roasted and peeled, you can use mild or hot)
1 Tbsp chili powder
3 cups chicken broth ( I use 2 15 oz cans)
1 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp pepper
1 1/2 Tsp dried oregano leaves
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
Heat ¼ cup oil and the garlic in a 3 quart sauce pan or stock pot until hot. Coat pork with flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until brown; remove from saucepan. Cook and stir ¾ cup onion in same saucepan until tender. Stir in pinto beans, hominy, carrot, celery, green chilies and chili powder. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir pork, oregano, chicken broth, salt, pepper into vegetable mixture. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add ¼ cup chopped onion and the cilantro to mixture prior to serving.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Get a package of 5 spice powder to coat a roast with. Place your spice coated roast in a roaster, add several cups of water, seal the top of the pan with foil and roast at 350 degrees for about 4 hours. The roast will fall apart and the flavor will be amazing, give it a try. The 5 spice powder is an asian combination. Add salt to taste.

MM

·
Registered
103 Posts
Pulled Pork Recipe
By Terry

5 to 6 lbs Pork Roast
1 cup Chicken stock
½ Onion cut up on bottom
3 Garlic cloves
1 pepper (Hot)
6 Cloves

Put in Crockpot and cook all day long.

Pull pork apart with fork

Put meat back in crockpot

1 Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ - Hickory
Honey
Tabasco sauce

·
Registered
103 Posts
how to take the game taste out of the meat.

WILD MEAT SOAK and TENDERIZER
I use this technique for all the wild game animals I take and I highly and frequently recommend this for all wild game.
# - Skin and Debone or Quarter the animals out and place the meat in a large ice chest with the following mixture.
# - ICE WATER!! Along with 1/2 - 1 cup of vinegar and a medium or large (18 - 20 oz) size container or real lemon juice.
# - Soak large portions of meat for 2 0r even 3 days changing the water as needed and keeping the water ICE COLD and all meat covered with the ice water. Soak the meat till it turns white and all blood is leached out.
**NOTE, if the meat begins to darken or turn blue then you got too much vinegar! The meat is not spoiled!! Change the ice water and reduce or eliminate the vinegar.

·
Registered
103 Posts
BREAKFAST SAUSAGE
The rubbed sage and savory are what give this sausage its wonderful breakfasty flavor; the nutmeg and marjoram provide a nice counterpoint, and the black pepper adds a touch of hotness. Stuff into sheep casings or leave as bulk sausage to make patties.
• Ground pork: 1 lb.
• Coarse salt: 1/2 tablespoon
• Rubbed sage: 1/2 teaspoon
• Rubbed summer savory: 1/3 teaspoon
• Ground nutmeg: 1/8 teaspoon
• Ground marjoram: 2/3 teaspoon
• Ground black pepper: 1/3 teaspoon

BREAKFAST SAUSAGE RECIPE
PORK, boned ..........................................1 lb
SALT, pickling (non iodized)................. 1 tsp
PEPPER, ground ......................................1/4 tsp
SAGE, rubbed.............................................1/2 tsp
GINGER.........................................................1/8 tsp
NUTMEG.......................................................1/4 tsp
THYME...........................................................1/4 tsp
PAPRIKA........................................................1/4 tsp
WATER..........................................................2 oz
Grind pork through a 3/16" plate. Mix all other ingredients in bowl and then mix into ground meat. Chill in freezer for 30 min. Grind through 1/4" plate. If you just want bulk sausage, you can form into patties or just store in freezer bags, in

·
Registered
926 Posts
We soak wild hog in orange juice for a day or so then put it on the smoker using the hardwood of your choice and orange slices on the meat while cooking. We try to go out and get sour oranges when we can (which is most of the time).We use orange wood from the groves that died out a couple years ago when they froze out. But any hardwood will do.
Joe

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What I ended up doing was using a dry rub and slow cooking it on my gas grill with foil smoke pouches stuffed with applewood. Before I did the final butchering I kept the pig on ice for about 4 days, draining the water and adding ice every morning. The flavor was very mild with no gaminess at all.
I've used the ice method before with deer that I've killed so I know it works.
Thanks for all the input everyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I took the back straps and marinated them in equal parts Coke (has to be red can Coke no Pepsi,or knock offs) and worchester for about 3 hrs. And then put it in dutch over on a bed of 3 yellow or taxes sweets or vidallia onions and poured the marinade in on top put it in the ground with coals on top and bottom for another 3 hours

No one at deer camp complained and they would have been the first ones to do so.

Marketing anything in an acidic will tenderize it but too long will begin to cook it..

Make sure to freeze any of the meat beforehand to kill any parasites that may be in the meat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts