Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a few tiny black morels today(4/6/14)figured I'd step on more than I picked so I'll give them another few days.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I look on my property year after year, all i ever found was 1 that was past its prime. I am hoping this year will be the year! I know where to find some on the Blue Ridge parkway, but the competition is fierce. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I look on my property year after year, all i ever found was 1 that was past its prime. I am hoping this year will be the year! I know where to find some on the Blue Ridge parkway, but the competition is fierce. Good luck!!!
I know what you mean about competition.A few years ago we had what I like to call "The Great Mushroom Wars" folks would actually sneak behind known good mushroom hunters to find their secret spots.and some hunters would even use decoy vehicles to throw off the sneakers.It was funny to one point and sad to another.
Happy hunting!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
In what state are you finding them? We are a ways off from looking- but every year we follow along as the states south of us report finding them.

My best spot still has snow on it. Lots of snow on it.

We probably have some time yet....

M

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Here are some Montana Morels. We were fishing at Delmoe Lake a couple years back and stumbled on these. We hunt them in the Pintler Range west of here normally.

DELMOE LAKE MORELS 011.JPG DELMOE LAKE MORELS 006.JPG DELMOE LAKE MORELS 002.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In what state are you finding them? We are a ways off from looking- but every year we follow along as the states south of us report finding them.

My best spot still has snow on it. Lots of snow on it.

We probably have some time yet....

M
South west Virginia,along the western Blue Ridge.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
WOOOHOOO! The morels are up in my yard! going to get quite a few this time! About as big as two fingers down to a big thumb in size. Looks like a trip up to "the honey hole" tomorrow morning. Our honey hole has spring morels, plus fall chantrells, cauliflour, chicken mushrooms, and bolete. The chicken mushrooms should yield alot this year, They are very large growths, we found two more a couple weekends ago. I hope we can get them when they're up and not all dried out (around the first part of Sept.).

Good fungi hunting to you all!!

Reactions: mudpuppy

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good on you P/R.We are finding chicken egg sized morels in abundance now.Last summer was cold and wet,seldom got above 80% so summer mushrooms were scarce,never found even one giant puffball last fall. Hoping the boletes and milkies do good this year.

Have fun!!:eating:

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I know what you mean about competition.A few years ago we had what I like to call "The Great Mushroom Wars" folks would actually sneak behind known good mushroom hunters to find their secret spots.and some hunters would even use decoy vehicles to throw off the sneakers.It was funny to one point and sad to another.
Happy hunting!!
My friend and I are always worried that somebody will find our "honey hole". So far we've been very lucky. We found it about 5 years ago and it has produced pounds and pounds for us.

Remember, especially with chantrells and chicken mushrooms, cut and don't pluck. Cutting mushrooms at ground level, instead of ripping them out of the ground, can keep 'shrooms coming up in the same location year after year. Always leave a couple to 're-seed' an area. Morels especially, can be affected by overharvest.
Using a mesh bag to gather fungi in, allows for spores to shake through and hopefully resow the area. We use mesh laundry bags, but mesh produce sacks work well also.

If you live rural where habitat is somewhat natural, after soaking morels, sprinkle the water in an area; sometimes the spores in the water will take and you'll get a few the next year. The success rate for growth is small, but I'll continue to do it. If it doesn't take one place (say eastern exposure) try it somewhere else the next like southern exposure, with different factors such as shade, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
My first two wives died from eating poison mushrooms. The third wife died from a fractured skull, she would not eat the poison mushrooms.:biggrin:

358 Win

Reactions: mudpuppy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts