Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black Morels are up in the western Blue Ridge.These are kind of puney and scarce but enough for a couple nice omelets 8) with 80% today and heavy rain tonight,there will be prime picking by the weekend ;D

If it don't snow :p

Attachments

·
Registered
658 Posts
We still have 8 feet of snow in the mountains here so it will be awhile. However, how soon do you go out after the snow is gone? S.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mt101 said:
We still have 8 feet of snow in the mountains here so it will be awhile. However, how soon do you go out after the snow is gone? S.
It's real if'y and I'm sure location plays a big part.Instead of watching the calender or the thermometer,I watch the plants.I start looking for black morels a week or two after daffodils bloom and expect to find white(yellow) morels a couple weeks later when apples are in full bloom.The more rain the better,they can tolorate some frost but a hard freeze will kill them outright.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man-o-man...I'll take two omelets (with Morels & Virginia ham) to go. Or will you deliver over here in the Shenandoah Valley?

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I like em with fresh fish fillets. ;D

But an omelet does make my mouth water.

·
Registered
205 Posts
BlueMike said:
Man-o-man...I'll take two omelets (with Morels & Virginia ham) to go. Or will you deliver over here in the Shenandoah Valley?
I'll take two to be delivered just north of the Potomac River. Just let me know when and where. And I should be on a diet, oh well what my wife doesn't know won't hurt me.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I eat every one I find ;D But there's a few folks that gather localy to sell.They get $35.00 a pound for early season blacks.
Competition is heavy on public land I call it"The Mushroom Wars" Some guys will actually sneak along behind others to find their secret honey hole :-\

·
Registered
394 Posts
mudpuppy said:
I eat every one I find ;D But there's a few folks that gather localy to sell.They get $35.00 a pound for early season blacks.
Competition is heavy on public land I call it"The Mushroom Wars" Some guys will actually sneak along behind others to find their secret honey hole :-\
Mudpuppy,

Sneaking along behind would be considered tame out west here in the Oregon Blues, there's folks out in these parts carry their serious artillery and are more than willin' to pop off a few rounds if'n youse gets too close to 'their' territory, even on public lands.

Best keep yer eyes peeled pilgrim!

BMC

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yep ill be on the look out sat. After 12 ill drop off the turkey gun and grab a sack and start looking.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Haven't really looked yet this year, been too busy with fencing :(. I,ve been watching as I hobble around the back side of the property though, have only found a couple of trilliums so far.

bluemtn, yep there's some funny ones here in the PNW out picking fungus. Anymore carrying a gun is a matter of self defense, more from dope growers and makers, and mushroom pickers than from four legged beasties anymore. haven't been in an area yet where I've been "warned" off the chantrell patches, but I would think that return fire would be "complimentary".

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hunt mushrooms only on my own property.But I can see where large sums of money could kick up a feud among unscrupulous pickers.
I have heard in some areas you need a permit to gather mushrooms on public land if they are intended for commercial market.I don't know what the law is here,but I'v never heard of anyone local getting a permit or being assigned an area or boundry.
Most of my wild mushrooms,7-8 kind, are picked within 500 yd of my house.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Well we got anther two feet of snow since I last posted so it maybe awile before even the low lands get going. I guess that means that when yours are all gone we'll have some here. :) S.

·
Registered
210 Posts
bama20a said:
Can anyone tell me how far south, Morels grow?
We have them around Memphis Tn. I have to really watch the hunters this time of year. They are all over the park. Not suppose to pick them on State Park property. Thats just another law I don't like to enforce, but I do.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
I found about double whats in your picture this evening. Gotta find some more to make a good sized feed. I batter 'em up and fry 'em, will throw some in a omelete to try too. Couple year back I had 4-5 pound and gave 'em away. Should have checked on selling 'em. Them years is scarce though.

Here is a forum for Morel hunters, I'm not a member but I do like to read their tales................

http://thegreatmorel.com/

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I done a little better yesterday.I'll either dehydrate some of these or throw a party ;D

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Morels are up finally!! Yipee! Picked a dozen near the house today and will walk the place tomorrow looking for more. Probably head down to a couple other spots this week and weekend. Gonna try drying some this year. I'm gonna use the food dryer. Does anybody do it with these, and is there any big deal in prepping or slice thickness? I've never dried them before, usually don't last long enough ;D.

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Morels are wonderfull dehydrated.I simply split then lengthwise (don't wash them) and don't put any on the shelf nerest the heat element and turn them after about 2-3 hours or they might stick.When they are dried brittle (like a corn flake)I put them in zip-lock bag and put them in the freezer,not necessary but it's a good place to store them.
For soups and stews,I rehydrate them in water for 2 to 24hrs,wring them out and chop.Make sure you add the water to the recipe,it is very flavorfull.
For fried, I rehydrate in heavy cream or "Half&Half"12-24hrs and coat with my special corn meal mixture.Lots of folks like them better than fresh.Save the cream for a delightfull gravey or sauce.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
We had a nice rainfall last night and expect 80+ weather in the next day or two, so here's hoping.

I have dried morels on a newsprint on the dash of an old car that worked well but you do have to turn them. I think a screen would work a lot better such as an onion bag.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts