Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Wild Hog Hunting?

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Silhouette 
#1 ·
I never realized the extent that hunting wild hogs has. I knew it went on, but reading posts on Marlin owners has been an eye opener as to how much of it goes on. It sounds like a cartridge that will give good penetration is best, much like blackbear hunting. It doesn't take a tremendously powerful round to kill a blackbear but if you connect with a big one you need to get a bullet through a lot of thick fur, muscle and bone. From what I have read, the wild hogs can be a problem for farmers, so they can be looked at as a varmint type animal causing damage. How are they to eat? Also, is there a season or are they hunted year round, like coyotes are up here? How far north are they a problem, or maybe better put, is there a sizable population? Just wondering, thanks for the info.

#3 ·
greyowl,
From what I have read the population estimates back in the late 80's and 90's was around 1-2million give or take and as of last year it was i think around the 5-6million mark but they dont have any accurate numbers ... down here in SC on private lands there is no closed season or "bag limit"..... on WMA lands you can hunt them during the deer season and special hog seasons.

As for eating??....... I dont buy pork in the stores anymore ;D ..

#4 ·
I still occasionally buy a shoulder to smoke(I like a little fat on 'em) but I haven't bought any loins, ground pork, or sausage in years. ;D

#5 ·
No closed season on them in here in Alabama. A local Fish and Game officer I spoke to a while back told me that there are two kinds of land in Alabama. The land with hogs on it and the land that will have hogs on it in the near future. They need to be hunted to help control the population, that and they taste great.

#6 ·
Just found a place to hunt them in AL. Just off a WMA wilderness area that is known for a lot of them. Can't wait to check it out. Would love some loins and sausage!

#9 ·
They are delicious to eat!! I hunt them in Oklahoma quite a bit. I have shot hogs with everything from a .223, .22-250 all the up to a .50 Beawulf. It’s a lot of fun. No season and very few regulations. We also hunt em with dogs and knives. The pic is of a 190gr Buffalo Bore out of my Marlin 336 in .30-30 that shot a big boar with. It was stuck in his opposite shoulder. Quartering away shot at 30 yards and the 1 shoulder stopped the bullet!

#11 ·
They are a pest here in Florida and are hard on about all native animals and even birds like turkeys. You can hunt and kill them here year round with no limit. The problem is most time they lay low until dark so they are more active at night. Most are not good to eat here in Florida unless you trap them cut the young males and feed them for a while.

#12 ·
Howdy, Ya'll; from NE Tulsa area.
Looking for an area in Eastern OK, to hunt "pork". Would like to meet up with like minded souls, in or around Claremore, the "Home" of Will Rogers.
As a fellow once said: "I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was". I've got an old 336SC in .35, that needs to earn its keep. (just want to make it a little nervous)
Thanks for your time, and a Happier New Year to all! God Bless

#13 ·
Not that it's relevant but just for interests sake, here in Australia the feral pig would be the most popular hunted game we have. There's an estimated 14 million of the bastards. All feral animals here are able to be hunted year round with the exception of some deer species in some areas. Deer population is nothing like that of the US but numbers are increasing.
I've probably shot around 1000 pigs, maybe 40 deer, a few hundred foxes and a handful of dingoes. Also around 5000 kangaroos when I was a licenced roo harvester.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.