Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Was on Boar hunt in Croatia on Saturday. Lots of semi-autos: Browning BARS a Winchester SXR and Argo's.

ATB,

Scrummu
a semi-auto can be problematic with the law in some countries, in Austria you need a special license, for Austrian hunters it's not that problem, but I think, when I'm going for a hunt in the czech republic, I'm not allowed to bring a semi-auto with me...
...in czech where I was, there where a lot of shotguns with slugs and bolt-actions, mostly in 9,3x62, that's the popular caliber nowadays!

maggs, was using an FN Commercial 9,3x62 with a Leica red dot myself on Saturday. Still got the flag safety and is very slick... thinking of getting a Browning Maxus semi-auto for slugs myself.

Will post you a picture when I get to home PC.

Scrummy

drive hunts are not expensive in Germany unless you want to PAY for a drive hunt... a social hunt is great fun. Lots of shooters, dogs and hopefully, game to shoot. Been on a couple that were just unproductive but most produce good game. Only gets expensive if you want the meat or if you are the JagdKoenig and have to buy beer for everyone at dinner.

maggs, was using an FN Commercial 9,3x62 with a Leica red dot myself on Saturday. Still got the flag safety and is very slick... thinking of getting a Browning Maxus semi-auto for slugs myself.

Will post you a picture when I get to home PC.

Scrummy
I LOVE Mauser action rifles! I am fortunate enough to own several Mauser's, and one classic German Mauser Sporter that has a receiver made just before WW1. Its built into a shorter Walnut stock, new barrel, and a Lyman peep sight. Chambered in 30-06, a FUN Gun.

A few years ago my nephew bought a CZ500 chambered in 308 Winchester. 26" heavy barrel, drop out magazine.Beautiful Walnut stock. Its a HEAVY rifle, but it hardly has any recoil. Sighted in for a 200 yard shot, Leopold VX-1 scope. I am very happy that he bought it when he did, CZ doesn't make this rifle in the configuration anymore.

Mike T.

Reactions: Gareth Holland
I LOVE Mauser action rifles! I am fortunate enough to own several Mauser's, and one classic German Mauser Sporter that has a receiver made just before WW1. Its built into a shorter Walnut stock, new barrel, and a Lyman peep sight. Chambered in 30-06, a FUN Gun.

A few years ago my nephew bought a CZ500 chambered in 308 Winchester. 26" heavy barrel, drop out magazine.Beautiful Walnut stock. Its a HEAVY rifle, but it hardly has any recoil. Sighted in for a 200 yard shot, Leopold VX-1 scope. I am very happy that he bought it when he did, CZ doesn't make this rifle in the configuration anymore.

Mike T.
There is something about a Mauser action eh? Also a shame that CZ have stopped making CRF 550 rifles in "medium" calibres and gone over to the push feed 557

There is something about a Mauser action eh? Also a shame that CZ have stopped making CRF 550 rifles in "medium" calibres and gone over to the push feed 557
Sorry to hear that. The CZ550 my nephew bought is a Controlled Round Feed Mauser Action. All the bolt action rifles I own have a Mauser action. :proud:

There were a number of companies that "borrowed" the Mauser action and manufactured them in their own plants. Some of them PAID royalties, others did not. :hmmmm:

Mike T.

Reactions: Gareth Holland
Sorry to hear that. The CZ550 my nephew bought is a Controlled Round Feed Mauser Action. All the bolt action rifles I own have a Mauser action. :proud:

There were a number of companies that "borrowed" the Mauser action and manufactured them in their own plants. Some of them PAID royalties, others did not. :hmmmm:

Mike T.
It is a shame. My father has a 550 in 7x64 and it lobs bullets a long way very accurately. And feeds like butter.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
7x64 is from the ballistics at least equal to 30-06 or 308...and in the past they built outstanding actions!
my main hunting rifle is a Mannlich Schönauer GK in 7x64 from the 60ies and I love it!
the mauser-system is very nice, but the schönauer is NICER! :D

In France semi automatics are allowed - but limited to 3 shots.

Bolt action like my Marlin 308 is limited to 5 shots, as is lever guns.

There are shooting ranges that have running boar targets. I've only shot at one once when I passed my hunting license. They are rather expensive.

Most of the shots are at shorter distances. I shot a boar last week of around 85 to 90kg. Will do a write up of it soon. Wild Boar Fever is the Gold standard of shooting! One day when I'm all grown up I'll be able to shoot like Franz Albrecht ;)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.