Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never for the life of me will I understand why some people think
they're 'better' than others and put them down OR they go around
trying to flaunt what they have or talk about how great they are.
I mean, does this make them think they're impressing people who
actually don't give a rat's a$$ about them or does it make them feel
better about themselves because they know they're not a very nice
person in reality? What do you think?? :shock:

Anna

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think it's all in the interpretation, Anna. You can project whatever motives you want onto other people, but it ends up saying more about yourself than it does them. Personally I don't spend any time at all worrying about people who try to convince themselves that they are better than me.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RC posted: I think it's all in the interpretation, Anna. You can project whatever motives you want onto other people
What in the world are you talking about? Whose interpretation? And what does 'projecting motives(?) on other people' have to do with what I asked in my post?

Annabelle

·
Registered
158 Posts
Anna,

Here’s my take for what it’s worth. If I have something to flaunt or brag about, I only do if with people I love and care about. I don’t really want to impress them, just share my excitement, and I love it when they do the same because I’m happy for their good fortune. Now I know the kind of people you are talking about, and my best guess is that they are trying to make up for something lacking or something that they have missed in their lives. Its makes them feel good to feel like they are on top or at least for people to think that. If they can make people envious or put them down, then it helps them believe that they have escaped the part of their life that did not make them happy. I think for most people there are parts of our lives we wish we could change but for some that’s how they deal with it.

This bit of wisdom brought to you by my three tequila lunch. 8)

·
Registered
553 Posts
ANNABELLE said:
RC posted: I think it's all in the interpretation, Anna. You can project whatever motives you want onto other people
What in the world are you talking about? Whose interpretation? And what does 'projecting motives(?) on other people' have to do with what I asked in my post?

Annabelle
She means that you can form an opinion on someone and project that opinion into everything they do and say.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I sometimes wonder the same thing ANNA. I don't think I am better than anyone else and I don't think anyone else is better than me.I guess some people like the finer things in life but Give me a cheeseburger from Mickey D's and a pair of shoes from Wally-World and I am happy. Fancy duds and fancy possessions don't impress me. I have a roof over my head, something to eat, good friends, and I thank the lord every day for the things I do have rather than ask Him to give me the things I don't have. All the money and worldly goods does not make a happy person. I may not be as educated as some people or as well off as some people but I wouldn't have it any other way. I try to treat other people the way I would want to be treated. I don't drink no expensive wine or eat caviar, just give me a big old glass of sweet tea and a bowl of ham&beans and piece of apple pie and I'm happy. So for the people out there who walk around with their nose stuck in the air you better watch where your walking or your liable to step in a big old pile of bull***t. :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sometimes wonder the same thing ANNA. I don't think I am better than anyone else and I don't think anyone else is better than me.I guess some people like the finer things in life but Give me a cheeseburger from Mickey D's and a pair of shoes from Wally-World and I am happy. Fancy duds and fancy possessions don't impress me. I have a roof over my head, something to eat, good friends, and I thank the lord every day for the things I do have rather than ask Him to give me the things I don't have. All the money and worldly goods does not make a happy person. I may not be as educated as some people or as well off as some people but I wouldn't have it any other way. I try to treat other people the way I would want to be treated. I don't drink no expensive wine or eat caviar, just give me a big old glass of sweet tea and a bowl of ham&beans and piece of apple pie and I'm happy. So for the people out there who walk around with their nose stuck in the air you better watch where your walking or your liable to step in a big old pile of bull***t.
Amen!

Vanity is a expensive, foolish, and deceiving Task Master.

·
Registered
543 Posts
What I mean, Anna, is if you feel that someone's looking down on you, that probably has more to do with your own sense of insecurity than the other person's motives. And I'm using the word "you " here in a general sense, and not necessarily directed at you.

And, the majority of people who refuse to shop at Wal*Mart aren't doing so because they are "snobs", but rather because they have convictions that don't allow them to support the outsourcing of American jobs and the mistreatment of the wage slaves that get sucked into their inhuman black hole.

People who eat or drink only what is "expensive" are just as much fools as those who look down their own noses at any of what they perceive to be the "finer things", for lack of a better term...when I drink a glass of Colheita, for instance, I appreciate the years of craftsmanship and the centuries of knowledge that went into the making of it. And I feel that anyone who drinks it for any reason other than that they like it, such as to show off, is doing themselves as well as the Portegese winemaking tradtion a disservice.

A snob is someone who pretends to like something, doesn't matter much what, opera, lobster, whatever, but really doesn't, and only makes that pretense for the benefit of others. It can work the other way as well.

·
Registered
729 Posts
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wow, Nightrain, I guess I bore you so much that you have to follow me around this forum, hanging on my every word, posting zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs.

Tell me, do you ever think about the people who lost jobs in manufacturing when you're wearing your Wal*Mart shoes?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RC, you act like Walmart is the only corporation to outsize jobs. The majority of companies do such things to varying degrees...we just don't hear about it! Walmart is not all bad; they do lots of good things, also.
Maybe you just need an excuse for not shopping there??? You need to lay off people who may HAVE to shop at Walmart.

Annabelle

IF IT SOUNDS LIKE A 'SNOB', IT'S A 'SNOB'.

FOR THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW THE TRUE MEANING OF 'SNOB':
one who blatantly imitates, fawningly admires, or vulgarly seeks association with those regarded as social superiors; one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior; one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste

·
Registered
543 Posts
I really hate anything to do with math because it gives me anxiety but I really think it's probably less expensive to make everything from scratch than to buy processed food at Wal*mart.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I like walmart myself. My wife wont buy anything there but thats fine. I'v been shopping with her & she actually buys stuff in places that dont sell bullets & guns, fishing takle & camping gear. What on earth am I doing here I ask myself when I go. She goes to these mall things what have a whole neighborhood in them, you can buy pizza or jewlery, leather bags & fur coats, just about everything under the sun that I have absalutely no interest in, they have whole stores in there with stuff that you need to think of a reason to buy it as its mostly useless conversational things. Seen one that sold rocks. :shock: Yup, rocks, big ones small ones you name it. Worst part was she wanted to buy some. She oughtta cut the grass once in awhile & see all the rocks we have here! I asked the girl at the rock store if she wanted some of ours I'd let them go cheap & offered free shipping. She said they dont sell domestic rocks, hows that for outsourcing! Sure looked the same as the ones out back.

Far as outsourcing jobs overseas & such its a fact of life now as no one in the US can work for $2 per hour anymore & besides that our young arent much interested in factory work anyhow. Its beneath them.
Same thing in the trades around here. the kids all go to school or sell drugs & collect welfare. Theres no new blood coming in anymore so here we have mostly latins entering the workplace. Sad to say but they work harder than most young men born here.
It does bother me to see made in china on every other thing Walmart sells but the fact remains that alot of americans work at walmart every day & I'd tend to say these people work there because they need the money. I cant see boycotting them because the big wigs buy stuff from the lowest bidder. Now if they start importing chinese to man their stores I might stop as I cant talk chinese at all & you need to talk to a human to buy bullets & guns.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I know what you mean Lever and you're probably right, I'm not exactly boycotting Wal*Mart though because I never went there in the first place. Shopping is not something I enjoy at all especially when it involves crowds. And it wouldn't make sense for me to go to Wal*Mart because there is really very little there that I need.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
You dont need bullets & guns?

·
Registered
543 Posts
LOL, no, I don't buy bullets and guns and didn't even know they sell them at Wal*Mart. When I think of shopping I think of the stuff that women usually buy like food and all that . I pretty much buy everything at locally owned stores except for some clothes, I like shopping for clothes online the best so I don't have to go into stores and I cannot do malls at all.

I know I'll catch hell for this but one major weakness I have is perfume, not that I pour it on and smell like a cheap whorehouse; it's meant to be used discreetly. My favorite is one of the three single note florals that Coco Chanel developed for her own personal use in the thirties--not available on the open market, and smells like wood violets in an April rainstorm.

·
Registered
553 Posts
When it comes to bullets and fishing accessories Wal-mart is usually the cheapest if you go through alot like we do. But, I do not like their poles, guns, and other outdoor equipment that they carry. I like Cabela's personally.

I like coco chanel, RC. It just does not mix well with my chemistry. I ove Beautiful parfume and White Linen. They are clean, simple and not overwhelming like a Bourbon street whore

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
They usually stock the bargain model guns & fishing takle, but you can order anything you like from them, usually cheaper than a gun shop.
Only bought one gun from them myself tho. My biggest issue with them & guns is the fellow behind the counter in most cases was flipping burgers last week & knows next to nuthing about firearms or hunting & often cant even do the paperwork involved without calling for backup.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have encountered several women wearing Coco Chanel fragrances and they were nice in my opinion; I don't know if they were the same one you speak of. You shouldn't feel that you'll catch hell about liking one of the better designer fragrances; I think that every woman should have at least one really nice fragrance that she enjoys wearing. It can be hard to find that special one sometimes since they smell differently on each woman, depending on her body chemistry as Tough mentioned.

In an earlier post, you said that I should try some Colheita; I'm somewhat familiar with the Colheitas and the Duoro Valley region in Portugal. I actually have a 1941 Moreira Colheita Port now. I've also had
the pleasure of tasting 1910 Alto Corgo Tawny & Andresen Tawny. Even though I'm not a big wine or champagne connoisseur, I do also enjoy Pinot Noir from the Kistler Vineyards....very smooth. :)

Anna

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Leverdude, I know exactly what you mean about the sales 'help' in the sporting goods area of Walmart! It's the same way here where I live. And when deer season comes in....oh, man...it's a madhouse! Like the day after Christmas at the mall!!! :x

Anna

1 - 20 of 20 Posts