Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All 2x-7X and especially the 3X-9X scopes have too long a scope tube for the Marlin 336 receiver. A short tube scope of say 2X-6X would be perfect such as the discontinued Leopold "shorty" 2X-6X scope of years ago and bring a premium $$ when you can find one. The 1x-4x or 1.5x-5X scopes offer the perfect length but lack the field of view. Many of us would at least want a 32 MM front objective bell....just because it just fits the rifle and most 150 yard or less applications.

I wish Redfield would offer a perfect level action scope but I doubt they would see the need for a specialized product.

I'm done venting.... :hmmmm:

Chocdog

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Try a 1.5-4.5X32MM Bushnell Banner scope--great field of view and small compact size for a lever gun. Perfect scope for woods hunting that works very well for under 100 bucks.

·
Administrator
30,585 Posts
+1 to Ret_Eng. I have that scope on my 30AS and I love it. For me it provides plenty of magnification for 200 yard shots too. Great field of view and good eye relief too.

Below is a picture of what it looks like mounted.

Jack

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with your thoughts on how a large scope looks out of place on a lever gun. If your scope makes you happy, I'm happy for you, but seeing these long, ponderous scopes on nice, compact, easy to carry levers just doesn't look right to me. I have a Leupold compact 2x7 and straight tubed Leupold 2.5, 1.5-5, and 1-4 on some of my levers, and they very look nice and work well; but in my opinion, the scope best suited to Marlin levers is the Burris Short Mag/Timberline 2x7s. I have them on two of my Marlin levers. Perfect size and power range. Surprisingly bright for their size. Generous eye relief and a non critical eye box. Plenty FOV on 2x for close work, enough magnification to pick through brush and for longish shots at smaller game at 7x. Burris doesn't offer that model any more; however, they can be found from time on various auction sites.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Here's another perfect 336 scope...Weaver 2.5X. The 1-3X Weaver is also "perfect".
Bob

Ya gotta love the old Weavers! :congrats:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Try a 1.5-4.5X32MM Bushnell Banner scope--great field of view and small compact size for a lever gun. Perfect scope for woods hunting that works very well for under 100 bucks.
Yes...Ret eng is spot on....I have to say if there ever was a scope in the 32mm catagory that was made for the 336... it's the bushnell banner scope 1.5-4.5x32 dusk & dawn. It looks real good on the rifle....clearity is perfect.... and light transmision at dusk & dawn is that of top end scopes. Yes its a cheaper scope.. but It would be worth a look for your rifle. You can pick a new one up on ebay or amazon...or midway for about $70-$75 bucks and with free shipping if you do your research. CWT

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I also think the straight tube scopes were built for the lever guns. I have a bunch of the old and new Weaver K 2.5's, Leupold 1.5-5X20's and Nikon 1.5-4.5X20's. Plenty of power for most shooting situations with a lever gun and don't overpower the smooth lines of a lever. JMHO. DP

·
Registered
472 Posts
When I was a young man, I was all into "looks" and would argue vehemently that the best rifle scope ever made; and all that one ever needed was a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5x20mm. But now that I'm older and wiser (senile perhaps?), I now know better and know that the PERFECT lever gun scope is actually a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50mm; Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Air gun Trigger Airsoft

although I willing to concede that the PERFECT Marlin scope for looks is probably the Leupold VX3 2.5-8x33mm. But the bottom line when it comes to scopes is that one should always spend the bucks to get a really good piece of glass, and to always use what an individual is convinced works best for his style of hunting or shooting regardless of mob opinion. But if lever-lovers are truly honest, the reality is that there's never been a scope made that "looks appropriate" on a traditional lever gun, as lever guns were NEVER designed and/or intended to wear scopes; scopes on lever guns are "after-thoughts", and today's D & T'd lever gun wonders solely represent a maker's effort to modernize the century plus old lever gun concept to increase the utility and saleability of their product. So if a guy truly wants a sleek, "good looking" lever gun of any stripe, forget the scope; and at the same time, forget the increased utility a quailty scope gives the gun. Personally I'm comfortable with my choices of big ugly honkin' scopes; and too old to care anymore about arguing the fine points one way or the other. But for those still too young to know better, and those grizzled old gun-ho veterans who like petit scopes and think they make a traditional lever gun look "cooler" than the larger scopes; I graciously concede.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
The perfect scope for me is the one I can see through. Right now I like the Nikon 3 9x50 BDC and its on SEE THRU'S :flute:

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Shotgun

Reactions: tcfeet and 45nut

·
Registered
857 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think a 4-14x50mm is needed to kill a deer at 110 yards (or 200). It's not about being sleek or looking good (that's nice to have), but about what you'll actually need. I don't want that much glass on a .30-30; a 3X or so never leaves me feeling like I'm under-scoped. On a .257 Weatherby it's probably different. My M16A2 had a 4X Burris on it in Iraq; it was also all I needed. Your experience may be different; if it works for you, I'm with you. Half the fun of shooting is the choices.

I do think your statement on buying excellent glass is spot-on. Too many people economize on optics, after getting a good rifle.

Gorgeous Marlin SD, by the way.
Bob

·
Registered
5,923 Posts

Like Ret Eng stated the bushnell is a pretty good scope and don't look all that bad

One of my favorite "scopes" is the little inexpensive Tasco Red Dot as pictured. Got one deer with one at over 100 yards and got taht buck at about 20 feet. They offer the fastest pick up of any sight. I do prefer a little more maginiccation for checking out antlers but still find that set up hard to beat. Only downside to me is I dislike depending on batteries. The 1.5 setting on the Bushnell is pretty quick also.

DEP

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.