Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why I "now"own Marlin 336 RC

Hunting memory from the past:
When I was teen (now 44) my father borrowed me his Marlin 336 RC 32 Special (1962 mfc.) to hunt whitetail deer in northern MN. That Marlin happened to be the first gun he ever bought, (and as a teen) he also shot his first deer with that gun in Deer River MN. I was now headed to Deer River with my father for the opening of whitetail deer season. After a few uneventful days, I shot my first deer with my dads 32 special. I still remember every detail of the morning I shot my first whitetail deer.

Hunting seasons have past but I always think of my dads 32 special and the great memories that went with that gun.......well, It took me 3 years of gun shows and (off and on) gun web site searchs to find that same Marlin 336 RC 32 Special made in the same year (in reasonable shape with a reasonable price). Today..... I can say,I purchased one and she is in my vault waiting to be brought out for that opening morning of deer hunting season. I can't wait........

Keeping Marlin owners in mind,
mngo4rsguy

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Re: Why I "now"own Marlin 336 RC

so what happened to the original rifle that your father had? Does he still have it or what?

·
Registered
8,306 Posts

Welcome from te Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts

Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! Great story -- one of my proudest possessions is the Winchester Model 12 that Dad bought for him and me to hunt with in about 1953. It came with a coupon to get 100 free clay pigeons and a hand thrower and I still have the clays and the thrower in the original box. Wish Dad had been into Marlins. Thank you for sharing the story! John

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts

Great story...welcome aboard from Missouri.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

Hi mngo4rsguy, I am from northeast Florida near Jacksonville. This forum is very informative and friendly. Welcome aboard. Marla

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts

Welcome to MO from Pennsylvania!!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts

Welcome from TN.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts

Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts

Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The gun is still owned by my father.....He also let my younger sister use the gun. One hunting season she sat on stand all day in a hard rain. The gun was oiled, cleaned and put away. But the stock cracked a short time later (no fault of my sister). After that happened the gun has been off limits for about 15 years. I felt bad that the gun was "put away" so I bought a replacement stock for him, so he could continue to use the gun. He said "thanks" but the gun was put away......my hopes are he will pass it on to one of his 2 sons.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts

Great Story! Welcome to MO from central Kansas!

The deer in my avatar was shot with a 1948 336RC 32 special.

Love that gun and it was passed down to me from my parents who bought it new.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Its good to hear its still in the family. Now you just have to con him into willing it to you somehow. Tell him you have pictures of the woman he cheated on mom with and you'll show her if he doesn't cough it up. Even though he'll know he never cheated he won't want her thinking he did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

reply to: skmarsh77

Now thats funny! But that will probably go over like a lead balloon at his house, good ol'dad lacks a sense of humor at times...... I will take my chances with the "willing" part. If I did the other... I would be (pre maturely) willing my own 336 rc gun to my son.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts

Good to have a little respect for ol Dad... Welcome, from Northern Idaho/Central Oklahoma. I'm wanting and looking for the subject of your story... hope to someday add a waffle top. Don't think I'm fooling myself either, just probably fooling myself that I'll call it good with that last one. Good Luck this next season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts