Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They make these BEAUTIFUL weapons in the 45-70.....

but the 444 looks nearly the same as it has for 600 years......?

Why don't they offer this in a 444? I'd buy one!

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or beer holder as the case may be. Speaking solely for myself, neither gun in your post trips my trigger. I imagine however more will post to this thread agreeing with you.

What I would really like to see is a 444 Marlin with a 26" octagon barrel ala 'Cowboy'.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I like the brown laminate but do not like BIG LOOPS - period. Think they make the gun look pregnant but I know a lot do like them.
I would like the stainless one without that ugly black rail on top - but again there are those that . . . . . . . . . . . .

- - -A N D - - - when you are complaining about the looks of the 444 have you taken a good look at the beauty we are all hoping to win in the 444 RAFFLE?

Nothing to complain about in that one I tell ya . . . .

GB45

·
Registered
245 Posts
Several levergun 'smiths will make you a hex barreled 444 in any length you want...why settle for 26". ;D I think a 32" LongWhacker would work nicely. I think it's a great idea, but getting the barrel registered would be tough.

LUCK

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
NFG said:
Several levergun 'smiths will make you a hex barreled 444 in any length you want...why settle for 26". ;D I think a 32" LongWhacker would work nicely. I think it's a great idea, but getting the barrel registered would be tough.

LUCK
Whatever are you talking about? ??? ???

·
Registered
415 Posts
I_LOVE_GRANPAS_GUNS said:
They make these BEAUTIFUL weapons in the 45-70.....

but the 444 looks nearly the same as it has for 600 years......?

Why don't they offer this in a 444? I'd buy one!
I agree I do like the version on the bottom and thought about it before, but I wasn't wanting the 45-70 although I did see one in a 450 before

·
Super Moderator
7,964 Posts
I would like to have one in 450Marlin! I have enough 444's and I'm not a big fan of the 45-70 cartridge, they are just too inefficient with modern powders.

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
Dawei said:
Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or beer holder as the case may be. Speaking solely for myself, neither gun in your post trips my trigger. I imagine however more will post to this thread agreeing with you.

What I would really like to see is a 444 Marlin with a 26" octagon barrel ala 'Cowboy'.
Yup... What Dawei said.

I have thought that same thing for a long time - - a straight gripped, non checkered, 26" octagonal barrel, maybe a "deluxe" grade of Walnut on the butt stock and forearm, all wrapped up nice and tidy with a .444 Marlin Chambering. If this was available, I wouldn't have bought my 1895CB. Don't really care for the .45-70 chambering all that much, except I like my rifle it is chambered in - - so I will learn to deal with it and enjoy the shooting.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
I guess NFG is thinking registering a barrel with a serial number on it. To my knowledge about the only thing with serial number on the barrel are some handguns like a Ruger MKII or MKIII. Don't know much about shotguns but most common rifles have the ser# on the receiver. I am sure there are exceptions to this though.

In our case you can swap Marlin barrels from now till doomsday and nobody cares . . . . .

GB45

·
Registered
245 Posts
I should have said INDEXING the barrel...you know lining up flats where they belong so you can cut the dovetails for the sights on a flat instead of some odd place anywhere in between.

Register, index, indicate-in, dial-in, regulate...allee samee, samee.

I can see where confusion could reign or rain. ;D

LUCK

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Golfbuddy45 said:
- - -A N D - - - when you are complaining about the looks of the 444 have you taken a good look at the beauty we are all hoping to win in the 444 RAFFLE?
Nothing to complain about in that one I tell ya . . . .
GB45
Oh I bought my tickets!! hoot and hollar I'd Die to win that baby! I am 444-less at the moment, been trying to find the right 444P, but if Marlin offered a 444 in this style... I'd be all over that.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I agree .444 cowboy !!!!!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
How about something like my Swampbuster

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
"I had my 444xlr barrel cut to 19" here it is beside my GS-LTD 45-70."

For us non-experts - - -

1. What was the 444xlr before you cut it to 19 inches?

2. Why did you cut it? . . . .

and

3. How does it shoot after the mod compared to before the mod?

GB45

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I'd like to see a 32" octogon barrel with a full length mag tube! Oooooohhhh yea! But I like the shorties and big loops as well. :)

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Hi Golfbuddy 1. What was the 444xlr before you cut it to 19 inches? It was 24"

2. Why did you cut it? I had a 444p, but I didn't like ports. I like the shorter barrels.

3. How does it shoot after the mod compared to before the mod? I think it shoots better. Handles better.

I had gunsmith to cut & recrown & reinstall the front sights, I also had him to cut my 450 marlin XLR to
21" and put the XS scout system on it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Lance said:

I had my 444xlr barrel cut to 19" here it is beside my GS-LTD 45-70.
I like this and was wondering about getting a XLR cut down, did you have the original front site out back on ?

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Pioneer, yes I did have the original front sight put back on. My gunsmith who is a friend recessed the crown. I had my 450xlr cut to 21" and the front sights put back on, and the XS scout with a Leupold silver shotgun scope on it. I also had my 35 XLR cut to 21", as well as my 338xlr. I left my 308 xlr at 24". I know this is not for everyone, but I customised mind the way I liked them. I wish I was a camera man like Hawlg I would show them to you. Camera's just wasn't one of my things in life. My wife has one of those diginal camera's but when I ask her she thinks I'm crazy!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts