Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crimped a dummy cartridge to 2.60” COAL, to see where it might contact the leade. I gently chambered this round, and find it starts engaging the leade. There are shallow land engagement 'furrows', so it seems I can easily produce a cartridge @ 2.59", without problems cycling.

However, my Lyman mold #457193 design does not permit me to crimp effectively on the front driving band, as it’s so narrow. I would therefore like to produce 2.59” COAL rounds, instead of the nominal 2.55” COAL which seems to be ‘the standard’, but leaves room for a long ‘jump’ to the rifling. I would greatly appreciate your comments on my findings & assessment in this regard. Any suggestions for a 'longer' 405gr cast bullet mold, or one with a wider front driving band?

I'm using Redding dies in a Dillon 550 press. This is my first attempt at loading my own hard cast boolits for the .45-70, Marlin 1895GS.

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
As long as you can get it to feed through the magazine and eject without hanging up on anything, go for it. My own will allow a bit over 2.57" in that regard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts