Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked before, but bear with me. I’ve had several .22 LR rifles, but never a .22 Mag. I’ve pondered getting one, but wasn’t sure what I’d do with one. I had heard the accuracy wasn’t always great, and ammo is hard to get. And yet, in my childhood days I admired those mags from afar.

So, help me (read “enable me”) out. Why do you good folks opt to have and use .22 mags? I’m thinking about getting one in the near future, but I need some input from those who own and use them.

Thanks is in advance for the input and advice.

Reactions: rapidroy

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have an 1894M. Dead nuts accurate. Bought it from a friend because I love lever action rifles. I don't shoot it very often because of ammo expense. Nothing here really dedicated to hunt with it so it sleeps in the safe....BTW The magnum cylinder has never been in my Ruger SS. So the usefulness of the .22 mag is about zero for me. However I shoot gazillions of 22LR.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an 1894M. Dead nuts accurate. Bought it from a friend because I love lever action rifles. I don't shoot it very often because of ammo expense. Nothing here really dedicated to hunt with it so it sleeps in the safe....BTW The magnum cylinder has never been in my Ruger SS. So the usefulness of the .22 mag is about zero for me. However I shoot gazillions of 22LR.
I hear you! I just don’t know what I’d do with one except enjoy knowing I have one. A .22 LR is more versatile, yet there is that appeal it has.

You’re very fortunate to have the 1894M version. They’re hard to come by, aren’t they?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW, just read edcknives’ thread on suggestions for the .22 mag, and that was very helpful.

Reactions: edcknives

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Simply put, the .22WMR is: "a bad ass .22LR"

When I was a kid, it was the "Holy Grail". You couldn't find one anywhere, no one owned one, the magazines were full of the guns, but no guns were to be found. Anything a .22LR could do, the .22WMR could do much better. Faster, harder hitting, sounds like a 45acp in a pistol....super accurate and FLAT shooting even to 100 yards. GREAT for everything from a small coyote to a chipmunk.....sleek, beautiful, copper jacketed goodness. 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 pound bag.

DR

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Simply put, the .22WMR is: "a bad ass .22LR"

When I was a kid, it was the "Holy Grail"... 10 pounds of sugar in a 5 pound bag.

DR
Yup! Same when I was a kid. I think that’s why I want one. Are they too hard on squirrels? That’s what I’d be using it for mostly.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really want one in a lever action. JM Marlins are way up there in price. Thinking of a Henry Small Game Carbine. Comes with large loop lever, Skinner peep sights, and octagonal barrel. Thoughts??

Reactions: drinva

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I grew up with a .22 and now the .22 magnum makes it that much better. Hard Marlin 39 now have a Marlin 1884M.
The 1894M’s are hard to find and pricy, correct?

Reactions: MidBigWest

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Why do I love the 22wmr? I don’t. Have no use for it all. 22lr has been fine for squirrels, rodents, and dispatching critters in traps. 22mag, Never had one, never have needed one. So, I can’t tell you why you should have one.

Reactions: bkg1956

·
Premium Member
8,488 Posts
it is WAY underrated....1st rate survival rifle - head and neck shots out to 100yds on deer will work...even heart shots ...penetrates way more tha you think it will....can be picky about the ammo but once you find the right brand - very accurate.....its lethal well beyond 22lr....major drawback is the price of ammo...that's the only negative....get that Henry while you're still in the mood....

I have 3 rifles..2 bolts and a semi auto...also have a kel tec pmr30 that I carry....nothing wrong with 30rnds in the magazine of really slim light weight pistol....I'm a fan...

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
If I had to pick one rifle to keep, it would be my 22 mag. It’s light, plus you can carry a handful of shells in your pocket easily. It can take anything from squirrels to deer with no issues. It’s very underrated. I got my first 22mag over 30 years ago an learned then what they are capable of an how accurate they are. I have a 3x9 sitting on mine. Out to 100 yards they are lethal.
Everyone has there own opinion aboutem.. this is mine.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Recently picked up a 922M. Also have two Hi Standard .22 mag derringers and a .22 mag barrel set for my snake slayer. They make an awesome fireball in the little pistols. Haven't had any hunting experience with the rifle yet.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
My major consideration is for one is the niche versatility with being light weight firepower. I am seriously considering the henry pump (leave it with open sights) and a companion piece, possibly a Ruger single nine or the Keltec. Downside of the Keltec is VT just passed a 15 round max capacity on pistol mags. I own property in Maine as well and may have to leave it there if I go with the Keltec. Will probably also get a bolt action and scope it. The days of "cheap" rimfire are long gone. I misquoted on another thread recently and the cost of the ammo at Selway was around 11.00 to 12.00 a box of 50. I thought that was for a box of 100 so my bad on that. So ammo cost is a consideration but me personally after sighting it in a box or two per plinking session is all I would do anyway. I am not a shoot a brick of ammo kind of guy. Raised by German farmers and it's ingrained in me not to be wasteful. The gun is for fun so for the most part, so enjoy while you can. You only have so many Summers and Winters in this life and if you're not hurting anyone, do what you enjoy.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.