Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bored and want to read your stories, heres mine.
I had heard about these guns in various magazines & such and they sounded good; but I was reluctent because of their cheap, cheap and I mean cheap price at the time. So I get a job working at a FFL dealers house and notice he has a Jerrys catalog and I ask if he'd order me a gun. He said sure at cost too! I must admit that I was too embarrased to buy my first X gun at the store because I thought the clerk would see me as a tight wad buying a piece of junk. Anyways I bought this rifle to stay at my ranch cabin that is 25 miles from the Mexican border and I figured that if it got stolen (illegals and drug runners pass through this area regulary) it would be no big loss. Well after shooting this cheap rifle I fell in love with the trigger and holy smokes it even shot sub moa! :eek: The funny thing is I like this rifle so much that I don't even leave it at the ranch any more in fear it might get stolen. I now own 3 of these buggers and would buy more but they are too hard to find in my area now.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
First one was based on the price versus the features. I prefer the remington type safety over the wings used by Ruger and Winchester, the trigger being close to the Savage as is the barrel nut, the light weight and a nice recoil pad being installed instead of buying one to put on later. The other 2 came because I shot the first one and couldn't believe how well it handled and shot. There will be more in my future, also planning switch barrels for some. DP

·
Super Moderator
13,803 Posts
I just wanted one. I was probably one of the first few people in houston to get a 30-06 XL7. I got one out of the first shipment to my local gun shop.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Let me see...I bought mine because it was relatively cheap, was way nicer than Mossbergs and Savages, had the smooooooothest action, and because no one else I knew had one. ;) I didn't find out that my cousin had an XS7 until I started bragging about my new .30-06. :'(

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I went to New York (upstate), wifes family property, to deer hunt, pain in the butt nowdays to carry guns, so used my wifes cousin's brand new 7MM08, watched him sight in with new scope, and as they say, the rest is history. I now own a 7MM08 myself. Can't say it enough (a for sure tack driver), with 139 Hornady sp's. I had the brass and dies before I got the gun. T REX

·
Registered
990 Posts
Personally, I knew very little about them when I bought my first "X" gun.

I was looking for a gun to hunt NC where the ranges are longer [300yds+] and I have alot of 30caliber stuff. I figured for $300, what did I have to lose? ::) The lightweight with a 22" barrel was a plus.

Once I got to shooting the gun, I was shocked. :eek: In no time at all I had 2 loads that shot 1 hole and another that would shoot between .5-.75" all day long.

It didn't take me long to think about gettting a 308 "X" gun to join the 30-06. This time I decided to make a carbine out of it and hoped for a handy accurate gun for the woods around home. Little did I know that the 308 would be even more accurate than the '06. That little carbine has shot the smallest ever 3 shot group that I've puiled the trigger on. Any gun that will shoot a .101" group with hunting ammo is a keeper. If you think I'm joking, 3 other people have measured the group on got the same result. Calipers measuring .101" and jaws and tongues on the ground. ;D

Both of those guns shot so well, I had to get another. :p I boought a 7-08 and had that rechambered to 284Winchester. I've only started to play with that one due to weather conditions, but it shows promise with one load already under 1".

2 weeks ago, I made my 4th "X" gun purchase. It's a hardly used 308 that was $70 cheaper than a new one. I haven't decided if I'll shoot this gun or use it for a donor. I could set it up for lightweight bullets at MACH2 speeds, or just make it a 260remington, 250Savage, or 358Winchester. :)

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Did Dan do the rechamber for you? Any issues with the 284 feeding out of the 7mm-08 mag.? I've had every 7mm from the 7-30 Waters to the 7 Rem. Mag. except the 284. Always wanted one, be a nice way to get it. Just hate to mess with the 7mm-08, she shoots darn good. DP

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wanted a 243 because it could pull double duty, yotes and deer. My budget was limited because it's a third deer rifle. The season needs to be longer than 9 days so I can get more use! On a tip from Mr Fixit I'm the proud owner of an XS7. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm as excited as can be hearing about all these way below MOA groups. Plus every article I've read has been nothing but praise. Mine was used but how much could it have been shot in 1 year??? For $225 out the door I've got a very nice looking gun that will keep me and my son happy for years to come.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My go to 8mm Mauser weighs almost #11 and the XL7 was a pleasure to hold and behold. Plus I wanted a 30/06 even though it's close to the 8mm ballistically. And it was cheap. And the internet rave reviews hooked me.

·
Registered
990 Posts
dpe.ahoy said:
Did Dan do the rechamber for you? Any issues with the 284 feeding out of the 7mm-08 mag.? I've had every 7mm from the 7-30 Waters to the 7 Rem. Mag. except the 284. Always wanted one, be a nice way to get it. Just hate to mess with the 7mm-08, she shoots darn good. DP
A local 'smith did the work. The factory clip feeds the shells slick as snot and the mag will hold 3 shells with no issues. IMO, it's worth the effort if you're missing a 7MM for the collection.

·
Registered
990 Posts
teacherboy said:
Mine was used but how much could it have been shot in 1 year???
Well, I put nearly 1000 rds thru my '06 in the first year I owned it. It's now over 2000rds and still going strong.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
reasons i got an xs7, well here are a few. wanted(needed?) a smaller bolt gun than my 300wm. didnt want to pay 600-1000 for a rifle if i could get away with a cheaper rifle. ended up jumping on a xs7 in 7mm-08 before the price went up to much more. got it for 290otd, for the price i can really fault anything. good trigger from what i have shot it(a little creep but not bad), decient bolt action smothness(im compairing it to my sako A7) and less than half what i paid for my sako. O and a good bit less recoil than a 300wm. Very pleased with the purchase, and would recomend the rifles to anyone.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Ditto what CaliCoastie just said but the smaller caliber I went with was a 25-06.
I was considering the Savage comparable but everyone here convinced me on the XL7.
Flat shooter, varmint and deer, out to 300 yds.
Next, was the price, Gunbroker $294 shipped, no original box. No-brainer there.
Next again was that I could pick up a die set ($27) and some brass and bullets and reload my own for $10/box of 20

Lastly, I was looking for a project, The XL7 I got was a black synth. I was impressed with the pine needle camo jobs I 've seen.
Have to wait for warmer weather to paint it.

I have no kills to show off yet, just the set up so far:

hope to do something like this to it:

·
Registered
84 Posts
First of all, I wanted a cheap .30 cal rifle. Second, it needed to come with plastic stock for those 1-2 week all-weather hunting trips, and enough accuracy for long-range shots. Read some reviews after reviews and got to a conclusion Marlin being the best buy. Tested the Remington 770, Savage Steven´s and various other "budget rifles" and wasnt impressed. Fell in love with Marlin.

·
Registered
33 Posts
replace my 1936 for a deer rifle my family has used marlin since we bought it in 1937 it felt great read alot about it and needed a flat cartrige like the .270

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I was lookng for a base gun & I read good things about them. At the price they seem to be a great choice for something you are going to tear apart.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sold my older Rem M700 in .243W (purchased in the 70's) a few years ago. Became aware of the Marlin XS7C with features from the Savages that I have. Marlin was smart enough to offer stocks other then BLACK synthetic. Purchased a Marlin .243Win APG, matched it up with an OD Green Burris FFII scope and, for the $$ spent, very happy with it. What's not to like...accurate, great trigger, less "expensive" and quality built (in New Haven, CT). Regards, Homesteader.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts