Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought mine (one reason anyway) was due to the balance and handling of the gun (1895cb 45-70). It points like my old Browning Auto 5. 8)

Since it fit me so well I was able to shoot some great groups which translated to meat in the freezer!

What say you...

G

·
My first Cowboy was my second Marlin . It was the 1895CB and it multiplied into all the rest of them . Waiting on the 1894CCL in 41 mag to arrive as we speak :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I bought my 336CB 30-30 after admiring it on the shelf for over 2 years. No one wanted to pay the 469. +tax. Dr. A (when MarlinTalk was alive) pushed me over the edge and I "found" the money to make the purchase. The most I have ever paid for a gun!! 505.00 OTD. I LIKE OCTAGON BARRELS. I have since purchased a 45 and 357 CB X 24 and a Zane Grey. I will purchase more as funds are available. I hunt with mine and they are the best.

Papalote

G

·
Papalote, I got on a kick of hunting with the Cowboy rifles. But they had to have tang sights and shoot home cast bullets .
The first year I did this I got a spike at about 60 yards with the 38-55 , then a big 6 point with the 45-70 at 21 yards and finally a doe at about 40 yards with the 30-30 . I've not tried any of the pistol calibers yet , but I will . Have a nice 250 grain HP load for the 44 mag and a 215 grain load for the 357 . The 44-40 , 45 and 41 I've not fooled with enough to make an educated guesse so far .

·
Registered
335 Posts
I liked the octogon barrel and ease of tear down. Have a .45 CB and a .38 CBC, my wife has a pair of the round barrel 1894's( .44 and .357).....Buck 8) :wink:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Papalote,

The 41 mag is one of my wants. Let the board know how it works out for you. I spotted one at the gun show for around 499. :shock:

I get many ooohs & aaahs when I uncase the big marlin with its octogon barrel. These are impressive guns, that are unique in our day of plastic guns.

So far I have bagged many pigs and deer using 405 gr marlin loads (+p) from a local ammo shop.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Bought two. One conversted to 50 alaskan and the other is a safe queen. I have a early 70's 1895 to hunt with. The cowboy is the best looking gun they have made in years. Had to have a couple.

G

·
buckeyeshooter said:
Bought two. One conversted to 50 alaskan and the other is a safe queen. I have a early 70's 1895 to hunt with. The cowboy is the best looking gun they have made in years. Had to have a couple.

I have a pair also , one gets shot and the other is unfired . But it will eventually be relined to 40-65 .

I think if I ever get the 40-65 done and like the way it comes out I may have to do a 38-56 and or 33WCF :wink:

Got alot of ideas to waste money don't I :!:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Stumbled onto this forum, had a look at the Marlin site to see what you were all on about, only the Cowboys appealed, asked a few questions here, and took a 1 1/2 hour drive to see THE ONE listed in an Aussie shooting mag.

As soon as I laid eyes on it, had to hold it............ and that bloody '94 CBL 45Colt oct 24" somehow followed me home. :shock:

Still my favouite rifle and caliber. :D

Mucus

G

·
Mad Mucus said:
Stumbled onto this forum, had a look at the Marlin site to see what you were all on about, only the Cowboys appealed, asked a few questions here, and took a 1 1/2 hour drive to see THE ONE listed in an Aussie shooting mag.

As soon as I laid eyes on it, had to hold it............ and that bloody '94 CBL 45Colt oct 24" somehow followed me home. :shock:

Mucus

Congrats :!: :!: :!:

G

·
Mad Mucus said:

Mucus

Congrats :!: :!: :!:

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Mad Mucus--Good on you!! I know you will enjoy the 45 colt. The 357 CB is a good' un also. Nice thing is you can load them anyway you want.

I have taken several deer, a bobcat and Jack rabbits with my cowboys. I plan to hunt them almost exclusively, (my "new" 444T, 1971) will get a work out this year.

I will continue to search for the other CBs to complete my collection. I missed a 38-55 due to lack of funds. There will be another in the future.

I am in Canada at this time and have found several CBs on the dealer shelves here. 357 and 45 X 20 and 1895. Apparently they are quite common here.

I did see a 41 mag on one of the auction sites recently.

Papalote

·
Registered
5 Posts
Recently bought a pre-owned cowboy limited in 45 LC with peep sights. My reason for buying is more personal. Growing up on a farm in Illinois my brother's Marlin leveraction 22 hung on the gun rack in the wash room. What a beautiful gun. He bought it with his high school graduation money just after WWII. I dreamed of shooting it when I got "old enough". Before that happened the gun went to California with another brother and was pawned for whatever reason. Since then I always dreamed of owning a Marlin. I got my Marlin from a Cabelas at a decent price and they bought my unused 20 ga pump at a fair price which helped offset the cost. With my Marlin and two Ruger Vaqueros I am just getting started in CAS. I like to buy American whenever I can. I have a two gun holster rig on order from El Paso Saddlery.

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
Bought a 38-55 CB from a hardware, they had it discounted because it just wasn't selling, my only regret on that trip was when I went back for it's little twin the 30-30 CB it was gone. Got another .357CB from a friend in need of divorce money very reasonable price.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I own one of the first type .45 Colt CB . Just cause I Like all of it . Except the cross bolt sayty.Great shooter though.., Bought used although I could not see any indication of it evr being shot, Payed 400 even out the door at that time............MUTT

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have a 45/70cb and 38-55cb. I like the octagon barrels, the lack of checkering, and the slimmer forearm. Also, with the longer barrels they just seem to balance nice

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love the look and feel of a lever action rifle, especially with an octagonal barrel. Have a 95 45-70, a 336CB in 38-55 and two Cowboy Limited's in 45LC and .357 Love them all but enjoy the 45-70 and 38-55 the best.

G

·
They really need to make the 336CB in 32-40 , 25-35 and 32 Speciel.The 1895CB in 40-65 , 38-56 and 33WCF. And last but not least the 1894CB in 38-40 and 25-20.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,I got my first 1894CB in Feb '06, the .45Colt. Got it just after hearing Winchester was discontinuing their '94's and didn't want to have the same thing happen before I finally got my Marlin. I think the 1894's are a handsome rifle and it matches up with my old 1897 Takedown .22
Regards, Patch

1 - 20 of 41 Posts