Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I was wondering what all of our esteemed hand-gunners thought about why the 480 Ruger has started down a path of obscurity? I hear from many people that it is a pleasant big bore round to shoot, especially in the Ruger Super Redhawk, and how it filled a niche between the .44 Mag and the .454 Casull. That the recoil was more like a big push versus the snappiness of the .454 but it would have more power than a typical .44 mag with 300 grain bullets. I just thought a discussion on this subject would be interesting. As an aside, does anyone think that it is a round worth getting into or will it quickly become hard to find components if one were to reload? Is it worth it, in a hypothetical situation, to pursue this round and the Super Redhawks that chambered it? Especially since the gun has been discontinued as well? Any thoughts are welcome..Let the discussion begin! ;D

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
DDS444 said:
and how it filled a niche between the .44 Mag and the .454 Casull. That the recoil was more like a big push versus the snappiness of the .454 but it would have more power than a typical .44 mag with 300 grain bullets.
As is so common with new calibers, it is competing with an already well established round, in this case the .45 Colt.

With the .45 Colt, components are readily available. I've not tried them but I've seen loads for boolits as heavy as 360 grains.

Lots of new cartridges hype performance but, when it comes down to it, there is a cartridge that does it very well already. Look at the .327 Federal Magnum versus the .32-20. Personally my preference would be for the straight walled cartridge. With the .327 Fed being introduced not long before a major ammo shortage in general, it was kind of doomed from the start.

Look at the WSSM cartidges. I saw local stores practically GIVING rifles away chambered in those rounds...and they were STILL sitting on the shelves. Why start loading a super stubby cartridge for 100 extra fps, and lose two or three rounds out of your magazine?

That's why I believe the .480 Ruger isn't being well received.

Jon

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts
That and because PJ didn't endorse it.

;D

Jon

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I think part of the reason for the failure of the .480 to sustain any real market share was the lack of commercially manufactured ammo that really showcased the cartridges potential. Couple that with the limited number of firearm models ever chambered for it (or the .475 Linebaugh, which would chamber the .480 as well). From the ammo standpoint, I have heard that the only way to get the most from this cartridge was to handload for it, but try finding suitable 0.475" bullets on the shelves at the LGS... Pretty much a mail order cartridge for reloaders.

It is an impressive cartridge, but at the same time, an unimpressive cartridge. Ballistics (on paper) from the .480 are more impressive than the .454 with judicious handloads, but the .454 has the benefit of those 0.452" bullets, and the ability to chamber the .45, and a greater number of firearm models to choose from. Even the .460 S&W, for all the obnoxious muzzle blast it produces, is more versatile than the .480 Ruger in that it will chamber the .454 and the .45 cartridges.

One of the guys I work with has one, has it scoped with a 1-4x, and routinely takes antelope on his family's ranch up north. With his .480, he has filled his freezer a few times with speed goat that were cleanly taken out past 150 yards with a single round. Even with that kind of field performance, the .480 was introduced to a market with lots of established competition that was better postitioned to occupy available market share. Too bad, really.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually thinking about it as a viable option when I get around to buying another revolver for hunting..until I found out that it was discontinued...and I just decided that I would be better off sticking to my original plan of getting another .44 Magnum. From all the reviews that I have read it just seemed to be really good for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Had Ruger put the 480 in a blackhawk, I would got one in a heart beat. I believe there was a lot of potential that was never realize, even more than the 454....just my opinion. Of course I know it would have to have been in a 5-shot....but so? Look at the BFR or some Freedom revolvers.

I really feel that Ruger missed the boat, when they did not offer the 480 in a blackhawk, even if it was modified a little.

Lonerider

·
Banned
16,492 Posts
The circle kiulled it. Too few guns sold=no profit in ammo=no ammo on shelves=bad talk about ammo availabilty=even fewer guns sold.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
I've wanted one myself but never picked one up. I remember when a certain lever action rifle company we know and love was supposed to be bringing one out in .480 I couldn't wait I was so excited but then it never hit the market. Wasn't it a pressure issue or something that stopped Marlins .480?

·
Registered
421 Posts
2006HighSierra...I think you are right. What an awesome combo....a .480 Blackhawk and a .480 Marlin lever.

and think Biku is probally right also. Just sad I guess.

Lonerider

·
Registered
314 Posts
I absolutely love mine. I sent it off to Wildwest Guns in Anchorage and had them do their Wolverine treatment to it. It now has a 4 5/8 inch barrel and has been reduced from 56 oz to 39 oz. It is cut for full moon clips (really nice because no one makes speedloaders for it). I also added tritium sights so I can find it in the night in a tent. Put it into an Alaskan Sportsman's holster and you forget you are wearing it. But when it is needed, a 410 grain WFN bullet at 1200 fps is very comforting. I'm wearing it in my avitar. Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts