Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason I just cant get turned onto the thought of a .17 cal rifle. Why would a person buy the .17 over a .22? what are the differences between the two(besides the obvious... ones bigger'n th' other) or advantages that one might have over the other? Are the .17 hmr and .22lr even comparable?

To me (having never shot a .17) it just seems like a waste of money. $12 for 50 rounds of ammo seems amight steep.

I need educated on this, someone please enlighten me

wally

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
I bought and fired my first .17 a week ago. I was wondering about the hype (vs. the 22LR) too, but I've heard it gives better results on coyotes (no rifle/pistol calibers larger than .22LR in CT state forests :mad:). Whether it is more effective than the 22LR for this task, I don't know first hand yet, but that was a factor to me.

Like the linked article, I found the trajectory is FLAT from 50 to 100 yards. The author of that article mentioned maybe 1/2" drop and I'd say that's a bit generous, but close enough. ;)

After zeroing the Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40 scope that came with the used Savage 93R17, I shot two, 5 rds groups at 50 yards. One was .411" (CCI 20gr Gamepoint) and the other group was .508" (Fed 17gr V-Max). The groups at 100 yards with both, opened up to about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". I utilized targets that were already on the frame and they did not have well-defined aiming points, so I'm sure I can print better at 100 yds with better targets (wishful thinking? ;D).

The light, high speed projo's should be less likely to riccochet or overpenetrate, and this is a factor for me when hunting in the state forests. I would like to use it for squirrel hunting, but I'm concerned about how much will be left of the little critter after getting zapped with one of these.

For both coyote and squirrels, I plan on headshots exclusively.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I bought a Savage bolt gun and put a Cabela's 2.5x7x32 on it. Reason for buying mine was to help control the groundhogs on my property. I use the 17gr Hornady red tipped ammo in mine. As things are getting built up around my parts more every year, I like the fact that the little red tipped ammo has yet to exit a groundhog. They rattle when you pick up the carcass but no exit wound so I'm positive no bullet is gonna keep going and do harm beyond my line of vision. I've had exits using .22lr and .22 Mag's but not yet with the little .17HMR. Only dislike I have with mine is that it needs to be cleaned OFTEN. If I don't clean super regular, a round will chamber but won't extract, then it's time to break out the .17 caliber cleaning rod and some Wipe Out foaming bore cleaner.
358 Win

·
Registered
224 Posts
i was like you... why??
well long story short... i love mine.

the .17 bullets are "real" bullets not just a chuck of lead,
although a chuck of lead works.

the velocity diff. is night & day
accuracy diff. is night & day.

remember col.whelen said... "only accurate guns are interesting"

the .17hmr is a hunting rd..

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Shoot one and you will see. I have 2 22 mags, and I shot my brother's Marlin in 17 HMR and I now see why the guys swear by them. I may sell my Savage 22 mag and get a 17 HMR.

·
Super Moderator
13,327 Posts
The 17hm2 is a necked down 22lr.

I love my marlin 917VT. On a quiet calm day it is a 1 holer at 50 yards. The ammo may be pricey but it is good practice!

·
Banned
2,148 Posts
BUBSDAD said:
thanks for the info guys. So the 17 is a necked down 22wmr not 22lr. that makes a big difference.

I found this video on youtube, pretty cool if you have 8min to spare
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc37CuVgR2g
Great - So you found a video of someone comparing a 17 to a 22 LR. If you don't know there's a difference then it won't matter what anyone tells you. Why not put the 17 up against a pellet rifle - they're both 17s.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Ha Dingus said:
Great - So someone compared a 17 to a 22 LR and found a difference. If you don't know there's a difference then it won't matter what anyone tells you. Why not put the 17 up against a pellet rifle - it's just as irrelevent.
It acctually does make a difference--the 17HM2, which is a necked-down .22LR, has inferior ballistics than the 17HMR.

Speaking of differences, you must have found some or you would have stayed with the .22LR instead of adding a .22WMR to your safe.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Here's the difference in a nutshell:

.22 LR travels at something like 1200 feet per second or so.

.17HMR travels at something like 2500 feet per second or so.

Yes, that's just a little over twice as fast.

So, my .22 is pretty much dead on at 25 yards, an inch high at 50 yards, somewhere around three inches low at 100 yards, and it's a guessing game beyond that.

My .17 HMR shoots substantially flatter.

In fact, I can shoot any where between 25 and 125 yards without ever having the bullet more than 1/2 inch above or below the crosshairs.

That's correct. Feel free to check it with any ballistics calculator

Let me repeat- the bullet stays inside of one inch from 25 to 125 yards.

That means that anywhere within that range I can (And Do) center my cross hairs on a golf ball and hit it with the first shot.

That absolutely cannot be done with a .22 LR. Shooting a golf ball sized target at all those different ranges requires estimating the drop and using "Hold Over".

If shooting small targets at unknown ranges matters to you, then the .17 HMR has a HUGE advantage over the .22LR.

When you add the fact that just about every .17HMR I ever heard about shoots sub-MOA groups on a routine basis (Yes, mine will do it on demand) You've got a rifle that's fun to shoot, easy to hit with, not real loud, doesn't kick, and isn't too terribly expensive to buy or shoot.

Also, the .17 HMR makes things explode. The high velocity makes for exciting plinking sessions, and everybody enjoys shooting it for the reasons above.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I've been pondering the same question. I was able fondle Marlin 917 VSF at my LGS (been on the rack for awhile so it should be safe), and like the look and feel of it; but the other part of me wants to get a .17 bore that I can reload, and find something in .17 Rem instead.

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
I've done a heap of rat killing with model 60 22's and ruger 1022 out past 300yds. takes several shots especially in the wind.
I love my 22's. but I will stand with most of these guys the 17 hmr will put a smile on your face even with the over priced ammo.
I say 22 mags over priced and don't have the pretty red tips ;D
I bought a Taurus Tracker 17 hmr 1st. That thing is ridicules... very accurate. we have 2 marlin hmr's and they out shoot the CZ's.
Out to 150 yds it's a dead rat 95% of the time :)

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
stevens520 those are mean guns can't say how accurate but speed comes at a price. Barrel life ;D

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I know about the barrel burning habits of the .17 Rem; but since I'm still waiting to test my handloads that have been waiting on my bench for the past year and a half, I think it'll be safe. ;) Don't make it out to shoot much.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I have thought about getting a .17 but have always decided no and the reason for that is the wind where I live is normal and very constant and I do not think the .17 with the lighter bullet would stand up to it's great accuracy. It would be a great predator round but the wind blows real hard in the winters and I would be better off with a larger bullets with the wind.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Gets windy here too. I have considered a .17 but I reckon my .222 does a better job and I reload it for about 24 cents.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I forgot to mention this on my first post but I chronographed my first box of 17HMR and that little 17gr bullet went 2750fps at 10' from the muzzle. Went back to the same store and bought all the 17HMR ammo he had in that lot #, four more boxes. The advertised velocity is 2500fps and its rare to have any store bought ammo exceed advertised velocity, much less by 250fps on the plus side. I chronographed that
same lot number several times over two separate chronographs and got the same results each time, each chronograph. It's the 17gr red polymer tipped Hornady stuff.
358 Win

·
Super Moderator
19,135 Posts
Oz That 222 is a vg load. I have shot a 22-250 with 50 gr. Speer TNT @ 3600fps.Thats faster than bullet was designed for It will come apart in air on days 90+ degrees. That is one load I trust to come apart and not go skipping off. cost would be close to yours but I only shoot it in 20+ mph wind as I am noticing accuracy is going dew to barrel life. I use it for long shots on coyotes now days :)
Some land owners only want you to use rim fires. Depending on wind and distance I bounce between 22's and 17hmr :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts