Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from checking the zero on my 95. WOW its still supurbly accurate! First 3 shots at 100yrds were 5/8". First two looked like one hole till I went to the target and could see that the hole was slightly elongated. Fired 2 more and the group opened to 3/4"!!!! This is with peep sights and a 67year old eye that has had a stroke in it that has cost me half the sight in that eye and kinda blurred the rest that I can see out of. It used to be a 5/8" 5 shot rifle about 15 years ago when it had a scope on it but I never expected it to be this good with a peep and a bad eye. This isn't the only one I've seen shoot this good and I've heard about quite a few more. I thought bolt guns were supposed to be the most accurate rifles out there but I have owned lots of bolt guns and only 2 of them would shoot as good as this lever gun. I dont get it with all the things "wrong" with these rifles(springy actions, 2 piece wood stocks, heavy trigger,barrel bands and magazine tube) I dont see how they can possibly shoot as well as they do. Also the load it the first one I tried, 405gr Winchester bullet, 46gr IMR 3031 and whatever primer I happen to have on hand. This rifle is going bear hunting with me this fall.I dont even care if the bullet doesn't expand at .458" that bullet is big enough as it is and if it does expand thats just more icing on the cake. Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
FRJ said:
I dont even care if the bullet doesn't expand at .458" that bullet is big enough as it is and if it does expand thats just more icing on the cake. Frank
At the very least a big hole in will leave a big hole out, it sure aint gonna get any smaller :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,306 Posts
Maybe 110 years of continual care in manufacturing and updating the right equipment makes a finely accurate rifle.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,925 Posts
Mine are far more accurate than the guy pulling the trigger..... ;)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,135 Posts
FRJ that's grand shooting and the guys will steal your load info ;D Sounds to me like you do some bench shooting.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The load info is there for anyone to use, its no secret and I would want everyone to have a rifle that shoots like mine. I think there are a lot more of them out there and it boggles my mind that time and money are spent on bolt actions trying to make them shoot when there is a ass kicking round in a rifle so accurate that it would easily meet hunters benchrest standards and so very few know about it. In 50 years of hunting big game I have only taken 2 shots at over 100 yards and could have gotten closer on those if I had wanted to. These rifles are just a whole lot of rifle at a very resonable price. Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
242 Posts
I have a XLR 45/70 that has really impressed me. Under MOA with it is not surprising anymore, I am a bolt
guy for the most part, but that rifle has a permanent place in my safe. Yea, my 30-30 shoots too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
The accuracy of these rifles amazes me too. I have owned several and all have shot better than great.

I wonder if the moderate velocity/pressures these cartridges opperate at make it easier to manufacture an accurate rifle?

Corbi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
I was showing some groups to a friend of mine who's doing some long range competition shooting with his custom 6.5x284. He looked at me like I was nuts when I told him they were made with a Marlin lever gun at 100 yards. I think he went home thinking I was shooting at 25 or 50 yards...or I was full of sh**.
When I am on my 'A' game the 1895's will shoot surprisingly well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Just a bit off topic but still related to accuracy question.

i can't say much because i'm guilty too but....How many of you fellas have submitted a Postal Match Target?! Team 45-70 has to woop some tail!

Been without my stbl due to repairs on my butt stock for a month now...supposed to have it this week, hopefully today. PM targets to follow; accuracy out of these leverguns really is amazing and fun!

Matt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,694 Posts
The 1895 Marlin 45-70 is very acurate because God smiles upon men with the wisdom to shoot 45-70 in classy firearms. Or maybe we are just lucky? 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Wes said:
I was showing some groups to a friend of mine who's doing some long range competition shooting with his custom 6.5x284. He looked at me like I was nuts when I told him they were made with a Marlin lever gun at 100 yards. I think he went home thinking I was shooting at 25 or 50 yards...or I was full of sh**.
When I am on my 'A' game the 1895's will shoot surprisingly well.
I hear ya!..I have a weatherby i 338 wmag, it shoots awsome with barnes ttsx bullets, my 45-70 well out shoot it at 100 yds :)..I've had it for a month now, and just can't put it down, I just love this Lever gun, should have bought it loooong ago! Enjoy....Lou
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24 Posts
Gaterskiner said:
The 1895 Marlin 45-70 is very acurate because God smiles upon men with the wisdom to shoot 45-70 in classy firearms. Or maybe we are just lucky? 8)
...and the winner by KO. ;D

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,702 Posts
FRJ said:
I just got back from checking the zero on my 95. WOW its still supurbly accurate! First 3 shots at 100yrds were 5/8". First two looked like one hole till I went to the target and could see that the hole was slightly elongated. Fired 2 more and the group opened to 3/4"!!!! This is with peep sights and a 67year old eye that has had a stroke in it that has cost me half the sight in that eye and kinda blurred the rest that I can see out of. It used to be a 5/8" 5 shot rifle about 15 years ago when it had a scope on it but I never expected it to be this good with a peep and a bad eye. This isn't the only one I've seen shoot this good and I've heard about quite a few more. I thought bolt guns were supposed to be the most accurate rifles out there but I have owned lots of bolt guns and only 2 of them would shoot as good as this lever gun. I dont get it with all the things "wrong" with these rifles(springy actions, 2 piece wood stocks, heavy trigger,barrel bands and magazine tube) I dont see how they can possibly shoot as well as they do. Also the load it the first one I tried, 405gr Winchester bullet, 46gr IMR 3031 and whatever primer I happen to have on hand. This rifle is going bear hunting with me this fall.I dont even care if the bullet doesn't expand at .458" that bullet is big enough as it is and if it does expand thats just more icing on the cake. Frank


And did you say you were participating in the Postal Match?

We don't have 10 targets turned in that good and running out of time! We are looking for shooters like you bro! Are you in?

With open sights you only need to shoot 50 yards! :eek: http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/board,180.0.html

We sure could use your support with Team 45-70 in the Postal Match also! http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,86940.0.html

Do you belong to Team 45-70? http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,77364.0.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Same here, my Guide Rifle is EXCELLENT. I cannot believe the groups it turns in with just about every bullet down the tube. I have shot the 300gr PT, 350gr HDY FN, and 400gr Speer and they have all went MOA pretty easily with anykind of good load.

I have to assume it is because of the stiff, heavy barrels. Don't know though, all I can say is I am really happy with my Marlin. One of the favorite rifles in the gun locker. Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Ford Funn said:
I hear ya!..I have a weatherby i 338 wmag, it shoots awsome with barnes ttsx bullets, my 45-70 well out shoot it at 100 yds :)..I've had it for a month now, and just can't put it down, I just love this Lever gun, should have bought it loooong ago! Enjoy....Lou
I'm glad you got it Lou. Hope to see it perched over a good bull this year. I bet your smile will be a foot wide! I know mine would be. Scotty
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I been pleasantly surprised at how well my 1895 shoots. Just about everything I have loaded for it has been an inch or under. From 300gr to 500gr have shot very well.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top