Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently on another Forum(dedicated to hunting in a particular state) and was on a thread that somebody had started wanting to know about the various big bore lever actions available and which might be best for the area he hunts in. A young kid of about 16 had posted a coment about how he loves his 444. It was a single shot Handi rifle and he just loves it and the rifle because it was his first deer rifle. Almost immediately, this kid was attacked and told how he was a moron for liking the Cartridge, and that the 45-70 would always be superior. This was coming from a gentleman of at least 50 years of age who should have known better than to act that way.

I had posted back telling the guy off for his actions. He decided to make it an issue to follow me around on the forum, including any of my earlier posts. I was basically followed around online, with him cutting and pasting certain sections of my posts to say things that I had never said at all. It was basically online harrassment that ended up in me telling the guy off in a long winded post asking him to knock off acting like a toddler throwing a tempertantrum. Needless to say, I was almost immediately warned not to post such comments in the future. I admit, I should have handled it better.

So it got me to thinking. Why on earth can't anyone accept a cartridge based on its merits, and leave it at that. There are a lot of people out there, seemingly trying to assasinate the 444 as a cartridge. I personally don't understand it.

Reactions: tdoyka

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
I don't either choices are what makes the world go round.. I have a few Marlins.. 30-30, 444, 30-06.. 22's my to go gun for hunting in Central Pa is the 30-30.. always.. I love the others just the same and wouldn't hesitate to use them but I would not condem anyone for the choice of calibers they like.. in jest maybe .. like picking on the 35 Rem inferior guys.. :p ;D But a few of us here know that the 45/70 / 444 debate can get nasty with some.. My issues run deep with that.. plus I really dispise any supposed mature people hammering on a youngster that also don't sit well..

Get that youngster to come to MO we have a handi rife section and we may even convert him to levers.

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
Sound insane to go up again a 16 year old over his first deer rifle don't matter what caliber it is. And I do agree with what Gunjunkie said. But what I like to know is what actually was post by you to make someone one come after you the way you say.

I never take one side of a story.

T ??? NY

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
Tony I can believe it.. I have lived it and even back on the Origional Marlin Talk. we had one guy chastize a youngster.. he was brutally put in his place by the members of the site.. some people are just like that.. and some never give a younger poster a chance even if they are knowledgable on a topic I see it still here on MO

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts
GJ, :eek: :eek: are you going to pick on me now that I became a .35 Rem owner today?? ??? Haven't decided what to do with it besides shoot it. Them other guys with the 45/70 ..............maybe they just don't like or haven't shot a trip four, either way their loss and the fella that downed the kid....he's probably not much of a father either. Really, I have rifles from the .22 cal. up to the 45/70 and there ain't one in the bunch I wouldn't consider hunting with, variety is the spice of life. Mr fixit

Added: Imagine what we would have gotten from Tman a few years ago if someone jumped on him! ;)

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
mountain_man86,

Those types of individuals you just described do not live long here bro. Not long at all!!! Well duh...I happen to use my two triple fours (An S and a T) almost exclusively. What does that say? ;)

Dave 8)

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
Send that young man to Team 444; we will take care of him!!!!!

·
Registered
25,054 Posts
mr fixit said:
GJ, :eek: :eek: are you going to pick on me now that I became a .35 Rem owner today?? ??? Haven't decided what to do with it besides shoot it. Them other guys with the 45/70 ..............maybe they just don't like or haven't shot a trip four, either way their loss and the fella that downed the kid....he's probably not much of a father either. Really, I have rifles from the .22 cal. up to the 45/70 and there ain't one in the bunch I wouldn't consider hunting with, variety is the spice of life. Mr fixit

Added: Imagine what we would have gotten from Tman a few years ago if someone jumped on him! ;)
T-man will tell you a few years ago he was a handfull to deal with.. LOL

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
And something has changed??? ;D ;D

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
VTDW said:
And something has changed??? ;D ;D
Hopefully his diaper(s). ;D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
308/338 said:
Sound insane to go up again a 16 year old over his first deer rifle don't matter what caliber it is. And I do agree with what Gunjunkie said. But what I like to know is what actually was post by you to make someone one come after you the way you say.

I never one side of a story.

T ??? NY
Well Tony, My basic Quote was "Before you Mouth off to someone again" followed by facts reguarding his mean spirited post. His later posts were mostly aimed at trying to re-educate me. It was really weird because after I explained why I got on his case and was so upset, once, he said ok, Wished me the best of luck. I said thank you and Even apologized for any remarks I made towards him. WE parted cordially, until three days later when he started posting things on a thread I started, trying to make trouble once again.

Dawei, I will if I can. That site has undergone some changes and wiped out all the old posts, and are in the process of rebuilding that section.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
It seems in this day and age people talk a lot of trash online because they are not right there in front of you and they know they can get away with it. I really like Marlin Owners because we don't have that sort of thing going on here. I think a few of the things that make MO great are the people and the info. If there is one thing we should all agree together about is its ok to disagree with each other as long as we do it with respect.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
Well mountain_man86 I have no beef with you. There is always two sides of a story. But I do understand your reply to him. Again not looking to argue with you over this. What I said was just my thoughts and not mindlessly mounting out. If indeed you and him came to a friendly agreement and later he came at you, he is someone to be concern about.

I congratulate for you for your stand but I'm sorry for you to have to face the after affects of your action.

T :) NY

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
scott fisher said:
It seems in this day and age people talk a lot of trash online because they are not right there in front of you and they know they can get away with it. I really like Marlin Owners because we don't have that sort of thing going on here. I think a few of the things that make MO great are the people and the info. If there is one thing we should all agree together about is its ok to disagree with each other as long as we do it with respect.

Scott
Keyboard Courage - Such folks lack "Testicular Fortitude", and have to sit down to urinate, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
As other members have said, The young man in question here would be wise to visit our site and become a member. Where will we be if we don't nurture and encourage our young men and women who share our interest in the shooting sports. GET HIM OVER HERE!!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I agree nurture the young! Even if they have to sit down to relieve!

Get the young one over here! I appreciate the integrity of this site.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
If this person was doing stuff on the forum with your posts I don't understand why the forum mods didn;t chastice the old guy instead of you! You and the youngster are both better off here on MO. Hope he has come on to look the site over.

GB45

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I have one lever gun right now, 1895CB, my next is either a 444 or 450, (glutton for punishment). All the others have said it well, get the youngster on MO, a great forum, great people. My wife is perplexed that I spend most of my time in the forum when I am online. My 8yo daughter is next.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I belong to a half dozen forums but only touch bases on all of them except for M.O. My wife also asked why I spend so much time "talking about Marlins" and I just said, "We talk about LIFE . . all aspects of it - - - and Marlins just happen to be the TITLE PAGE!

GB45

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Yep, you have it from the most authoritative voices right here in this thread: MO is a haven of freedom from this kind of nonsense and caliber ignorance ;D

If MO weren't the kind of place that encouraged young hunters and shooters, I probably would never have stuck around beyond a week or two after first finding MO.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts