Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new and not knowledgeable (dumb) about a 356 my question is why and how do you make it? Looking at the Shooters Bible it looks like a 30-06 only about 150fps lower at each range. Is the Marlin strong enough to handle those pressures? Just asking as this has peaked my curiousity. Does any mfg make and sell a 356?

fknipfer

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The .356 is a .308 necked up to accept a .35 caliber projectile. While this casing will allow more of a charge than the 30 WCF or the .35 I suppose the bullet design (flat tipped) defeated at least some of the "extra range" intent and it just didn't catch on. Or, perhaps Marlin didn't market it very well.

I am among the fortunate few who has one of these rifles. My only concern is that it prints an 8 inch group at 100 yards. I just haven't had a chance to work with it at all so I'm sure it will do much better.

It is a pretty neat and compact round. Ranch Dog recently took one hunting in West Texas and bagged a nice buck with it from about 200 yds. I can imagine that if this round was loaded with Hornady's LEVERevolution bullet the .356 would be pretty mean medicine. For that matter so would the .375 Win.

SS

G

·
The .356Win is easily a 200yd rifle.

I've got a 336ER and a 94AE, and both are excellent arms.

Nothing that I have taken with either gun, from runt hog to cow elk and black-bear has required more than one shot where it needed to go.

Both of my guns are scoped and are capable of MOA performance if I'm up to it.

I'd not hesitate to hunt anything on this continent with it.

I happily admit to being biased.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking a the ballistics on a 7.62 x 54r Russian rifle and in 200gr these two could be twins. Pretty close on theirs is a bolt action. Interesting that guns go everywhere. With a pointed bullet I bet it would be a hummer. Somewhere between a .308 and 30-06 which is pretty impressive.

fknipfer

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
The 356 is a much more effective then the 35 Remington or 30/30 caliber rifles. It will do about anything the 348 Winchester and 358 Winchester will do.

To get the best of the 356 you need to handload it. The Winchester Factory loads are week compaired to what the caliber is capable of.

Hand loaded the 356 is a 250 yard cartridge on Moose and Elk.

I will say this, it has considerable more recoil then the 35 Remington or 30/30 caliber rifles.

I am hand loading using Winchester brass, WLR primers, H-335 powder at 48.3 grains loaded at 2.55 OAL.

This load is giving me 2504 FPS and patterening in at 2" at 100 yards.

Hope this helps.

djh

·
Premium Member
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful gun you have there. Makes my mouth water. Just bought a 1971 35rem in reasonable shape am thinking about making it a .356 after I get it up to shape. Like a new trigger, new butt stock, and rear sights ghost ring and new front sights.

fknipfer

G

·
djh said:
The 356 is a much more effective then the 35 Remington or 30/30 caliber rifles. It will do about anything the 348 Winchester and 358 Winchester will do.

To get the best of the 356 you need to handload it. The Winchester Factory loads are week compaired to what the caliber is capable of.

Hand loaded the 356 is a 250 yard cartridge on Moose and Elk.

I will say this, it has considerable more recoil then the 35 Remington or 30/30 caliber rifles.

I am hand loading using Winchester brass, WLR primers, H-335 powder at 48.3 grains loaded at 2.55 OAL.

This load is giving me 2504 FPS and patterening in at 2" at 100 yards.

Hope this helps.

djh

DJH, you failed to mention what bullet you are loading. i assume its either the Speer 180 or 220 ?

G

·
djh said:
Sorry 6pt-sika:

I use the Remington Core lock in 200 grain with a heavy crimp.

djh

That bullet holds up alright in the 356 , even when you juice it up a bit ? As a matter of fact I got a couple hundred of those to load in my 336D. They kill deer allright in the 35 , but I wonder about the 356 ? Have you shoot anything bigger then a deer with that bullet ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts