Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

Why manufacturers stopped producing 16 Ga shotguns?
I find it to be perfect size.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
They stopped making them because only a handful of 16 gauge enthusiasts were buying them.

If they were popular, the manufacturers would make as many as they do 20's and 12's. But they're not. Haven't been popular in my lifetime of nearly 60 years.

Guy

·
Premium Member
4,815 Posts
I'll deny the death of the 16 gague too! My favorite side by side is a Kettner 16 gague, bought back from Germany by my uncle in 1945, and cominig into my hands in 1982. He opened the chokes to improved and modified while he owned it. Originally it had been full and full. Beautifull old shotgun, the only one I own currently, and someday it will go to my oldest grandson. But not too soon!

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have two 16 shotguns. A 1897 Winchester (my Great Grandfathers) and an 870 wing master. I would guess the reason they are no longer offered
is cost. Not enough potential return vs. other gauges. I know of many rabbits, ducks and pheasants that could vouch for its effectiveness.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I have two 16 shotguns. A 1897 Winchester (my Great Grandfathers) and an 870 wing master. I would guess the reason they are no longer offered
is cost. Not enough potential return vs. other gauges. I know of many rabbits, ducks and pheasants that could vouch for its effectiveness.
They would ... if they could.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree, it's a great choice. We love our 16's, Jersey Girl's Ithaca 37 and an older Remington 870.

Here's Jersey Girl putting hers to good use -

NoellesIthaca_zps3f42d42a.jpg

NoellesfirstPheasant_zpsf600c077.jpg

Our local Walmart always has a good selection of 16 gauge. Must be more popular than some think.

We shoot ours enough that I'm looking for a 16 gauge reloader.

B

·
Registered
11,566 Posts
The 16 ga. was very popular in our area for hunting rabbits, squirrel, dove, & ducks as most guys hunted all the game with the same shotgun,
Then came the "Steel Shot" mandate from the Feds on waterfowl. That killed the 16ga. as everybody went to 12ga. 3 & 3 1/2 mag. or the 10 ga.
Browning still makes the 16ga. in their BPS Hunting line of shotguns.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Remington still makes a decent selection of 16GA ammo, high and low brass, just check your Remington catalog. A few others also still make 16GA, good supplies here in New York.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, guys

I do own a beauty of a 870 Wingmaster in 16Ga but I'm thinking to move to a SS in the same size or maybe 20Ga.
Here the 16 was very popular for many, many years, But these days, although you can find shells this size, there are not much variaty.
Somewhere, once, I read that 16Ga was perfect in geometry and physics efficiency.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
There are few guns offered on a true 16 gauge frame. The Browning and a later 870 I looked at both had 12 g frames. So why pack all that extra weight around and have a lesser selection on shells just to shoot 16? If they made one on the 20 gauge frame I might be interested. Newer 20 loadings are really one of the big reasons the 16 is while not dying on oxygen for the long term. I love the 16 and I will get an Ithaca 37 in that chambering like Dad's which my baby brother got. I have a Rem 870 Special Field that I would to be a 16. There was a nice one in the shotgun for sale for diehard 16 bore fans.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
CZ still makes a 16 SXS (26 inch IC & M), have one, shoot some clays with it, mostly drag it along when speed walking the Appalachian Trail for small game that pops up. My only area of concern, is deer need to be close for buckshot, its not a full choke 3 inch 12 gauge.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Pieces of the answer are already noted. Here's the summary. If one needs a 12 gauge, and there are places where one is the proper tool, the 16 doesn't cut it. Examples include waterfowl hunting, buckshot, and turkey hunting. Yes others will work, but the 12 is king for a reason. On the other end of the spectrum where you don't need a 12 gauge, the modern 20 does wonderfully. Doves, rabbits, squirrels, all upland birds, even wood ducks, can be dealt with very effectively with a 20. That leaves a very narrow strip for the 16 to exist in. It begs the question....is the 16 BETTER at any of these things than a 12 or a 20? The extension of that is guns and loads are lacking. Ever shop for buckshot, turkey loads or waterfowl loads? Companies make them but not with the level of development that 12 or 20 shells get. Same with guns. Most modern 16s are just a rebarreled 12 ga. That's no advantage at all. Now, if you can find a true 16 gauge, with modern features, you really have something. One if my favorite shotguns is a browning Citori white lightning in 16 gauge: modern o/u, small frame, ejectors and choke tubes! There really is something special about it. So there's your answer: squeezed out of a practical role, not well supported by ammunition manufactures, and poorly supported by the gun making industry because it's not a mainstream product. But so nice for those of us that have a true 16 gauge.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
16 is my favorite shotgun bore, have two and my local dealer keeps a good supply of Winchester Super-X shotshells on hand

·
Premium Member
12,128 Posts
One thing that has me chuckling a bit... The 16 is a very useful gauge, absolutely.

Why then the resurgance of the 28 gauge? Good Grief. I've got one, and have had for over 40 years. I like the shotgun well enough, and it was a gift from my grandfather, so it's obviously a keeper. But what in the world can I do with a 28 that I couldn't do better with my 20 gauge?

Dunno. Still, shotgunners are a more practical lot than riflemen. Shotgunners make do with a handful of gauges while riflemen STILL keep coming up with new ways of making brass look different to propel the same ol' bullet sizes downrange.... How many different .30 cal rifle cartridges are there now? A bunch!

But shotgunners do almost all of it with: 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410 Mostly with the 12 & 20 truth be told...

Can you imagine riflemen doing it all with say a .22 and a .30 cal? Maybe one bigger cartridge for things that bite or trample....

Guy

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you imagine riflemen doing it all with say a .22 and a .30 cal? Maybe one bigger cartridge for things that bite or trample....

Guy

Blasphemy!!!!
:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts