Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you leave it on?
How many of you take it off for better front sight visibility?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Most of my Marlins are scoped.The silly looking thing is visable through the scope at lower magnafication and the ones with receiver sights,I had to replace the factory front sight with a taller one,throwing the bead off-center of the hood.So I'v got a drawer full the little buggers around here .(someplace)

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I like 'em and don't know why. I do not use iron sights so thir function is nill but I guess I like aesthetics of the rifle with the hooded front sight. It does not bother me that I see it in low mag settings in the scope, and it does not obstruct the view of the target.

I have some older Marlins that are missing the hood so if you fellows have some laying around in the way, I'll take about a half dozen if you care to part with them...

SS

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Not too bad with the factory sights, but once I put on a peep, off it comes....too many things in the sight picture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For me, the front sight hood is strictly protection while handling the rifle at home and travelling. As soon as I'm hunting its off, and I find it a nuisance if left on. I use fibre-optic front sights on some of my rifles, and even the hoods that are cut-out to admit light restrict too much for my liking. Most of my hunting is in the thick stuff, and I've lost a few of them when I've ducked under an overhanging limb while stalking game.

There are times when the sunlight is so bright that the hood can actually help by muting it and preventing those "gold bead off-side flares" especially when at the rifle range, but most of the time it's in my pocket.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes, on both my 336 .30-30, and my 1894S .41 Magnum. Never had any problems with them. My brother uses the hood on his 1894S .44 Mag. Hunts deer in the Ozarks where it can be "kinda thick" in the woods.

L.W.

Reactions: buckweet

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
The only thing I really like about the sight hoods is their "Auto-Remove" feature -- on every Marlin I've ever had, the hood has always snagged a vine or branch within 30 minutes of entering the bush and removed itself!

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
It stays on while in transport and in the cabinet at home. It stays in the case while I'm out hunting and goes back on when I put it in the case. Hood whether on a car or a rifle was meant to protect it's content.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tubbythetuba said:
Not too bad with the factory sights, but once I put on a peep, off it comes....too many things in the sight picture.
This is one reason why I asked because I want to put an aperture sight on one or two of my Marlins.
I would have never thought so many people took them off & on again.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
WFR said:
tubbythetuba said:
This is one reason why I asked because I want to put an aperture sight on one or two of my Marlins.
I would have never thought so many people took them off & on again.
:p Unless you're in Kommifornia, I doubt there's a law about it :p .....Try it both ways, you'll figger it out pretty soon. I used to know a fella that swore all he had to do was see the deer in the hood and it was dead.....I could never make that work on paper no matter how hard I tried.

G

·
Yes, the front sight hood is mostly useless and it does have that sort of built-in auto removal system, but I've kept the little hood on all my Marlins just because I think it looks great. My little son has asked several times what that hood is for, and I tell him, "It does really nothing at all; it just looks good."

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Saved all mine but replaced them with Marlin "cut-out" sight hoods when I went ot Williams FireSight beads.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've got a box full of them which have never been used....

First thing to come off of any Marlin I plan to shoot. Makes the sight picture way too busy.

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
GLC said:
I've got a box full of them which have never been used....

First thing to come off of any Marlin I plan to shoot. Makes the sight picture way too busy.
GLC - If you have any of the old style hoods, and wanted to part with a couple, I'd be tickled to purchase them.

Shum8

1 - 17 of 17 Posts