Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to get a low priced 336 in 30-30 yuck(winny) and have it rechambered to 303 Sav, I just really can't stand anything Winchester. I am pretty sure it is workable. But is it worth the trouble. Les

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Why not - I'm gathering funds as we speak to attempt to rebarrel a 39M and reline to 17HM2 just for the helluvit......We're all a little nuts - that's what makes us so loveable.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I just bought a 1899 in 303 Savage last month. It has been reblued but I wanted the caliber, since it is already been messed with I feel free to try some things with it I would not do with an original. If 303 is what you want why not just buy the savage 1899 and rebarrel. Was a 303 barrel on ebay last week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 3 of them, I just want a nice 336 for my shooting rifle, they are comfortable, just don't care for the 30-30. Les

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which model did you pick up? I am a dog for the 303 Sav's. Always looking for more, need my SRC and have an H on the way. Figure if I can get a low priced 336, I can come out on top of the deal, and if anyone ever needs a 303 Reamer, shoot me a PM, I have one. Les

·
Super Moderator
5,567 Posts
Just curious why you prefer the 303 to the .30-30. The ballistics are identical. No difference whatsoever.

Just want to be different, I presume? I guess having something out of the ordinary has its appeal.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Don't forget, the original cartridge designation of ".30-30" was created by the Marlin Co., for their new lever rifle in the late 1890s.

The Winchester designation for their new model 94 lever was ".30 WCF."

Later, Winchester adopted the ".30-30" to their Model 94. Copycat, so to speak.

So, if you have the 336 in .30-30, you have the original Marlin cartridge designation, not a "Winchester" cartridge. 8)

FWIW. L.W.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read an Article somewhere that the 303 Sav, precedes the 30-30 by about 4 months, questionable, but possible. Glutton for punishment I guess. Les

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Violater. get an RCBS #30-180-FN bullet mold. It casts out at 190 gr. in wheel weights, use 28.0 gr. of W-748 in the 30-30 and you have, for all practical purposes a .303 Savage in performance. 8)
I've had two M-99s in .303 Savage, but others wanted them more than I did, especially when they made me offers no sane man could or would refuse. :roll:
I like the performance of the .303 but am not willing to pay the high price they ask for ammo around here, especially at the gun shows. :x
Paul B.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
OK, I think you're nuts, but I tend to be a rather practical type of person.

The .303 Savage doesn't offer any advantage over the .30-30 and less than a .30-30 AI or .307, which is what I would rechamber to.

Then again, it takes all kinds. Whatever works, its your money.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey! the 30-30 is perhaps the worlds best and most popular deer round. It may not be balisticaly superior, but you dont need a shoulder cannon to kill a deer cleanly. I'm sure you have your round preferences like we all do, but your making Winchester and the 30-30 look bad. I know Im just as ticked as the rest of you about winchester, but they are still one of the best gun companies in history.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You are going through all of this trouble because you "just can't stand anything Winchester". :?

1) What kind of reason is that?
2) What can't you stand about Winchester?

If you are going to make a change, then Go with the Ackley Improved 30-30.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Considering that doing whatever you want is okay and anything you do along these lines is mostly a Mt. Everest" exercise anyway:

+1 on the .30-30 Ackley Improved or (tentatively) .307

AFAIK, .30-30 AI offers a minor boost, more consistency, less case thrust.

The .307 is rated to deliver substantially higher pressures than the 44K of the Marlin action, which is nearly met by the 42K of the 30-30.

The temptation to "hot load" the .307 precludes it's use in the standard 336 action. Some have suggested that this is why Marlin never got into .307 production. They're prolly right.

If you want more than the .30-30 or an equivalent can give, go to another caliber. Try handloading for .35 Remington, for example.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Heck guys, its his gun. Who cares why. :wink:
Not something I would do but I bet I'v done things he wouldn't.
Someone said the 303 Savage predated the 30/30? I thought the 30/30 was the first non military smokeless number available to the public.
Am I wrong?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts